Bricked my phone while trying to Flash

PoRco1x

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I had something similar when I flashed something that wasn't compatible with the ROM. Once I reflashed recovery I was good. Glad you got it working.

I am glad this is all sorted, you did the right thing. Yeah, sim unlocking is possible but mine is unbranded and unlocked so I haven't really looked into it. To be honest with you, rooting and installing custom ROMs is extremely easy, it's just the Chinese software the pretty much messed up everything on your older device. I'd say wait and get an unbranded and unlocked one to avoid the hassle of learning how to unlock it, using ADB commands and doing things that may or may not brick your device if something goes wrong, why take the risk on a $500+ investment?

After you get an unlocked device, we can then talk about rooting and custom ROMs and whether you really need them. Yesterday I had a terrible experience with my device as it wasn't connecting to any network the whole day after I updated its firmware. I tried all the modems/radios available, several custom ROMs and nothing was working; I then decided it was time to download an install a RUU and that fixed everything, and to be honest I am going to stick to the stock 4.1.2 ROM that came with the device and prepare it to receive OTA when it comes.

Haha , no wonder you were missing yesterday :p So how and where can I get an unbranded and unlocked version of the phone?

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I do not know where you live so I cannot really say, but I am pretty sure you can get one on eBay or Amazon. And by the way, I actually read all four pages of this thread and as someone commented earlier, it was a damned nail biter! I kept cheering for you and hoping it would work. lol. Ah well, tough luck but I am glad you were able to get your money back.

PoRco1x

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I had something similar when I flashed something that wasn't compatible with the ROM. Once I reflashed recovery I was good. Glad you got it working.

I do not know where you live so I cannot really say, but I am pretty sure you can get one on eBay or Amazon. And by the way, I actually read all four pages of this thread and as someone commented earlier, it was a damned nail biter! I kept cheering for you and hoping it would work. lol. Ah well, tough luck but I am glad you were able to get your money back.

Lol yeah, it was hell! So is it really risky to unlock a phone to be used on any provider? I thought all you needed for that was the IMEI code and the unlock code!

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
If you're going to buy an unlock code by providing the IMEI then sure, it's very easy and do-able on almost every smartphone device in the world; however, there are 'free' ways to unlock the device by disabling the security flag, therefore making it S-OFF and things like that which aren't too hard if you follow the tutorials and have an experience with ADB and fastboot commands, but after what you've been through you'd be better off buying an unlock code and entering it.

Have a read here:

HTC One gains S-OFF tool to enable SIM unlock, HBOOT downgrades and more geeky goodness | MobileSyrup.com

Good luck on whatever decision you make as long as you get that beautiful HTC One. :D

PoRco1x

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site

If you're going to buy an unlock code by providing the IMEI then sure, it's very easy and do-able on almost every smartphone device in the world; however, there are 'free' ways to unlock the device by disabling the security flag, therefore making it S-OFF and things like that which aren't too hard if you follow the tutorials and have an experience with ADB and fastboot commands, but after what you've been through you'd be better off buying an unlock code and entering it.

Have a read here:

HTC One gains S-OFF tool to enable SIM unlock, HBOOT downgrades and more geeky goodness | MobileSyrup.com

Good luck on whatever decision you make as long as you get that beautiful HTC One. :D

Just read it. So considering I'm in Canada, I shouldn't be risking anything unless I get a phone that's from another country where the RUU's are available? But I remember Jennifer saying something about the phones being universally unlocked so any RUU should work?

I'm not sure if you'd happen to know the answer to this question but if I buy a phone that was originally issued by another carrier that I'm not registered to, will that carrier still honor it's warranty policy on that phone?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Just read it. So considering I'm in Canada, I shouldn't be risking anything unless I get a phone that's from another country where the RUU's are available? But I remember Jennifer saying something about the phones being universally unlocked so any RUU should work?

I'm not sure if you'd happen to know the answer to this question but if I buy a phone that was originally issued by another carrier that I'm not registered to, will that carrier still honor it's warranty policy on that phone?

The phone itself is SIM unlocked factory, but there are still some hardware differences within the different carrier devices, so you'd still want to get a RUU that is proven compatible with the original carrier of the phone.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

For any RUU to work you need to go s-off so you can change the CID and the you can use any RUU for a GSM model
I've been layyed-up and havn't been on in a while ..looks like i missed all the fun.

PoRco1x

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site

UPDATE: Turns out I had a FAKE HTC One and damn good fake too!

I came across the video on youtube: The best HTC one Clone First Handson - YouTube

and this is EXACTLY what my android looked like, the UI etc etc... Also, when I connected to the PC it was only 16gb... there is NO 16gb version. WOW. That phone felt EXACTLY like the real HTC one, same build quality etc.

I'm just...blown away.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Wow. Did your buddy know it was a fake?

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2

PoRco1x

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site

I don't think so, trying to get through to him.

As embarrassing as this is for me, I decided to post here because I want people to be aware that there is a near IDENTICAL replica out there!!!

PoRco1x

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why that's happening. But everytime I post a reply, you get quoted automatically.

I've edited most of my posts and deleted your quotes manually when I notice it =/ Sorry man.

It happens everytime I click "Reply to thread" You get quoted automatically.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
You know what, I swear I thought it was a fake too because it didn't load into bootloader and had a Chinese recovery which is weird. I then thought maybe a Chinese RUU does that so I wasn't really sure. Anyway I'm glad you got rid of it. When I get back home I'll send you a link you can use to verify IMEI and SN of the device to make sure it's authentic.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

PoRco1x

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
You know what, I swear I thought it was a fake too because it didn't load into bootloader and had a Chinese recovery which is weird. I then thought maybe a Chinese RUU does that so I wasn't really sure. Anyway I'm glad you got rid of it. When I get back home I'll send you a link you can use to verify IMEI and SN of the device to make sure it's authentic.

That link would be great man! I'm planning on buying another HTC One, and I've been hesitant to pull the trigger because of all this shady stuff!

Godamnit China, stop being so good at making replicas!!

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry you had to go through that! Good thing is you got your money back and aren't stuck with the fake. Now you also have a little experience in how it works.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator

PoRco1x

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Just got the real HTC one. Rogers :) vest phone I've ever had, can't put it down!

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Just got the real HTC one. Rogers :) vest phone I've ever had, can't put it down!

I've had experiences with fake, knockoff phones! Hell, I was sold a fake GS4, and didn't notice it, until I realized the Lock screen had NO WIDGETS.. It was running a port of ICS, and was skinned to look like Jellybean! Needless to say, I got my money back quick!

(P.S. not all China made phones are bad. I posted a review of one on this forum, actually!

Check it!: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-news-discussion/292394-took-plunge.html)

Tapped from my Nexus 10.1

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX