Who else is running the ONE Google Play Edition ROM?

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I am downloading it as we speak and am very excited about trying it. I will probably eventually reinstall a sense-based ROM because I like what Sense brings, however I am interested in the performance of the Google Play Edition ROM as it should be a lot faster and more responsive than Sense-based ROMs

For whoever is wondering, TrickDroid has released a Google Edition version of TrickDroid which is basically stock except deodexed and debug code removed.

TrickDroid 1.0.0 GE (HTC One) - TrickDroid | TrickDroid

More information about it: xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM][27 JUN] TrickDroid 8.0.0 | Sense 5.0 | Google Edition | Tweaks | 2.19.401.1

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I am downloading it as we speak and am very excited about trying it. I will probably eventually reinstall a sense-based ROM because I like what Sense brings, however I am interested in the performance of the Google Play Edition ROM as it should be a lot faster and more responsive than Sense-based ROMs

For whoever is wondering, TrickDroid has released a Google Edition version of TrickDroid which is basically stock except deodexed and debug code removed.

TrickDroid 1.0.0 GE (HTC One) - TrickDroid | TrickDroid

More information about it: xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM][27 JUN] TrickDroid 8.0.0 | Sense 5.0 | Google Edition | Tweaks | 2.19.401.1

Awesome! I will have to check that out. I am sure it is going to start raining roms now that this has been done. I was trying to compare the camera shots on the GE vs Sense. I think I will nandroid then take some of the same shots on both and see how they compare. Let me know how you think the camera quality is on the GE once you are loaded up.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I have seen a couple of comparison photos posted on XDA and from my perspective, the pictures taken by Sense looked crisper and sharper than those taken by the GE camera. By the way, you can actually install the GE camera and gallery applications on your Sense-based ROMs for an easier comparison: [APK] Camera from GE devices - xda-developers and don't worry it will not remove your Sense camera and gallery applications but will just add the GE ones to the drawer.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I have seen a couple of comparison photos posted on XDA and from my perspective, the pictures taken by Sense looked crisper and sharper than those taken by the GE camera. By the way, you can actually install the GE camera and gallery applications on your Sense-based ROMs for an easier comparison: [APK] Camera from GE devices - xda-developers and don't worry it will not remove your Sense camera and gallery applications but will just add the GE ones to the drawer.

Thanks man! I'm catching bits and pieces of this exciting day due to being at work:)

jalredding

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I am running it since this morning and LOVE it. Still figuring stuff out. The only issue I have is my capacitive buttons now flash for notifications and I can't figure out how to stop that.

Posted via Android Central App

Cjono7

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Does any one have instructions on how to flash that above link? I've flashed a custom rom on an S4, but I'm now using the One and would love to run stock android. Thanks!

migespy

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I am running it and liking it a lot; however, there a few things that I miss from true vanilla android. I can't figure out how launch Google Now from lock screen and the Do Not Disturb option does not seem to be available. Since the new GPE Rom update Data management and tethering has been restored so that's good. I also can't seem to control ringer volume without unlocking phone. Other than that the speed is nice and I definitely prefer the look of vanilla android over skinned android. I don't miss Sense that much, even though sense 5 wasn't so bad. I might be tinkering with other roms that have a lot more customization options.

migespy

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Does any one have instructions on how to flash that above link? I've flashed a custom rom on an S4, but I'm now using the One and would love to run stock android. Thanks!

Instructions how to flash any rom, or the GPE rom? Have you done all the set up i.e.: unlock bootloader and flash custom recovery?

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Flashed mine 2 days ago, now going back to the HTC 4.2.2 w/ Sense I had previously.
Too many app crashes happening, not stable for me. Amazon Kindle, Camera App, Editing App, Games, Google Music, and more.
I installed the performance/radio kernel hoping it would help resolve the issues but it was the same.
I'm using the HTC One AT&T 32GB version.

Going back to Android revolution.
Also the camera app sucked tremendously on the GPE, lack of fine tuning really hurt picture taking.

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Couple of newbie questions.

1. Are all of the GE ROMS that are popping up slightly modified. When I read the information on the XDA site mentioned above, there are comments like AROMA being added and extra instructions if you remove the 3 dot menu.

2. There is one mentioned here: It appears to be pure aside from items added like busybox and init.d support. Read up on those, so I'm not worried about it. Don't know what to do with the zip file, once I download it. Guess that's my next Google search ;)

3. Also, the 64G question. Since the GE phone is only 32G, would this affect the ROM, or would it be like any other Unix system which would simply recognize more memory?

4. Do these ROMs support "GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto" option in the "Preferred network mode" under "Mobile network settings"?

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
1. Not all of them are slightly modified, some are left as they are. Here is one of them: [ROM][m7]Stock Android 4.2.2 Google Play Ed. - Root/Busybox/Odexed/Deodexed (7/7/13) - xda-developers (The Odexed version is the STOCK, non-modified version) and it is NOT rooted.

2. I guess you answered yourself. If you don't know how to flash ROMs and such, follow this guide here: [GUIDE] Complete Flashing Guide | Rooting | Going Back To Stock | 05.05.2013 - xda-developers

3. It will not have any affect on the ROM.

4. I ran the Google Edition ROM for a while but I don't remember if it gave me the LTE option. We only use 3G and HSPA in Egypt, though, so I didn't really bother to check. Sorry.

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
1. Not all of them are slightly modified, some are left as they are. Here is one of them: [ROM][m7]Stock Android 4.2.2 Google Play Ed. - Root/Busybox/Odexed/Deodexed (7/7/13) - xda-developers (The Odexed version is the STOCK, non-modified version) and it is NOT rooted.

2. I guess you answered yourself. If you don't know how to flash ROMs and such, follow this guide here: [GUIDE] Complete Flashing Guide | Rooting | Going Back To Stock | 05.05.2013 - xda-developers

3. It will not have any affect on the ROM.

4. I ran the Google Edition ROM for a while but I don't remember if it gave me the LTE option. We only use 3G and HSPA in Egypt, though, so I didn't really bother to check. Sorry.

Thanks Tarek. Doing a bit more reading on odexed vs deodexed, just for learning purposes.

I hope congratulations are in order for Egypt. My folks are Egyptian (grew up in the states my entire life). They're retired and travel back and forth to Egypt. They are in Cairo now and celebrated the ousting of the Muslim Brotherhood.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Oh that is fantastic. I went to Tahrir Square to protest almost every day and I am so happy they're gone. It is not safe nowadays, however, because their supporters are still protesting and trashing the streets and trying to create chaos. I hope this is going to be the last of that!

By the way, from what I understand, Odexed is just the stock ROM (that comes from factory) while deodexed has some bloatware removed and accepts visual modifications like replacing the statusbar, widgets, HTC Weather Clock background, themes, etc. much better than odexed. I'd go for odexed if you want to be stock.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Couple of newbie questions.

1. Are all of the GE ROMS that are popping up slightly modified. When I read the information on the XDA site mentioned above, there are comments like AROMA being added and extra instructions if you remove the 3 dot menu.

2. There is one mentioned here: It appears to be pure aside from items added like busybox and init.d support. Read up on those, so I'm not worried about it. Don't know what to do with the zip file, once I download it. Guess that's my next Google search ;)

3. Also, the 64G question. Since the GE phone is only 32G, would this affect the ROM, or would it be like any other Unix system which would simply recognize more memory?

4. Do these ROMs support "GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto" option in the "Preferred network mode" under "Mobile network settings"?

LTE option is on all of the GE Roms. Gotta dial *#*#4636#*#* to access whatever network settings you want. I was running the stock ROM quoted above for a while first and now I'm running sinless if you want a few more customizations. But they are all great Roms.

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
LTE option is on all of the GE Roms. Gotta dial *#*#4636#*#* to access whatever network settings you want. I was running the stock ROM quoted above for a while first and now I'm running sinless if you want a few more customizations. But they are all great Roms.

I thought I had read the "Preferred network mode option" I listed had been paired down to "GSM/LTE auto". I've been reading a lot, so I could have just imagined it.

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Have been doing a lot of reading on XDA and learning a lot. Someone posted this link, and I think I understand my options after reading tons of pages. I just want to confirm.

I really have two paths to take.

1. First path is to simply find GE ROMs which I would install, leaving alone the current hboot and whatever custom recovery I have (mine being TWRP). That post has a link to as close a pure ROM as you can get. Link

2. Second path to take is to convert my phone to a complete GE by way of the link I showed. An RUU is discussed in the link, and it contains everything including updated hboot, custom recovery, etc in order to turn my phone into a pure GE version. I would also have to change the CID to GOOGL001 to possibly help in receiving OTA updates.

Naturally, I'm already rooted, S-OFF'd and tampered cleared.

So, I guess option 2 is for those who hope to be able to receive OTA updates. Otherwise option 1 would be good enough knowing that I would have to update manually.

Did I miss anything? Your thoughts on converting to pure GE (option 2)?

chrisxpierce

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Just recently tried GPE Rom but had to revert back to ARHD. I really loved the look and feel, but it was kind of unstable, and I noticed a drop in my cell reception while it was installed. As soon as I re-loaded my ARHD, my signal went back to the normal range, in this particular spot of my house. Now, I did not install the available firmware that came with the Rom, perhaps that was the problem, I'll try again today, after all....flashing is so COOL!!! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21