4.2.2. Sense 5

ICEmayne

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if this is already posted somewhere on here. I'm a n00b to all this rooting, unlocking bootloader, flashing custom ROM's, etc. stuff. Is it possible to flash 4.2.2 with Sense 5 on the HTC One now without it not being released yet in the states?

Sent from the One...the HTC One.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Well you can change your CID to one in the States that has already received it and get the OTA update, but that'll require S-OFF which isn't an easy task, especially for someone who hasn't rooted or anything before. Here's a guide to achieving S-OFF if need be: [S-OFF] revone - DEVELOPER EARLY ACCESS PREVIEW EDITION - xda-developers

However, most if not all custom ROMs now are based on 4.2.2 and Sense 5, so you can just flash any of them. Android Revolution HD 12.0 is basically stock ROM (no visual changes or anything) but faster and provides better battery life. You can grab it from this section: One Android Development - xda-developers

As for unlocking bootloader, installing custom recovery and flashing a custom ROM, you'll need to follow this guide: [GUIDE] Complete Flashing Guide | Rooting | Going Back To Stock | 05.05.2013 - xda-developers

Follow every word and do not skip or skim through it.

ICEmayne

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Well you can change your CID to one in the States that has already received it and get the OTA update, but that'll require S-OFF which isn't an easy task, especially for someone who hasn't rooted or anything before. Here's a guide to achieving S-OFF if need be: [S-OFF] revone - DEVELOPER EARLY ACCESS PREVIEW EDITION - xda-developers

However, most if not all custom ROMs now are based on 4.2.2 and Sense 5, so you can just flash any of them. Android Revolution HD 12.0 is basically stock ROM (no visual changes or anything) but faster and provides better battery life. You can grab it from this section: One Android Development - xda-developers

As for unlocking bootloader, installing custom recovery and flashing a custom ROM, you'll need to follow this guide: [GUIDE] Complete Flashing Guide | Rooting | Going Back To Stock | 05.05.2013 - xda-developers

Follow every word and do not skip or skim through it.

Thanks.

Sent from the One...the HTC One.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

Yes. The minute I picked up my HTC one at Costco I thought... How can I figure out a way to dual boot? Well here it is.... But even better. Take a read. Shared user data apps etc...

Sent from my HTC One

frooglepoopillion

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
When you say the same as Sense 5, does that include Zoe and the camera features? What would be the benefits of flashing Android Revolution HD vs waiting for the official update from HTC? I am looking at potentially rooting and using a custom ROM for the first time, but not sure if it would be worth it on the One or not. At least currently.

Edit: I purchased my One unlocked from Amazon, so there is no AT&T bloatware.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
When you say the same as Sense 5, does that include Zoe and the camera features? What would be the benefits of flashing Android Revolution HD vs waiting for the official update from HTC? I am looking at potentially rooting and using a custom ROM for the first time, but not sure if it would be worth it on the One or not. At least currently.

Edit: I purchased my One unlocked from Amazon, so there is no AT&T bloatware.

Yes, Zoe is a Sense camera feature. The benefits are different for everyone, for me it would be to have the latest version of JellyBean available (4.2.2) with all the latest features and improvements without having to wait for the official OTA update. I must say that ARHD is less-bloated and seems to have a better battery life than the stock OTA 4.2.2, but that was just my experience and it could be different for others.

If you're still stock, I'd say just wait for the OTA update because it will come to you sooner than later and because going back to stock in order to get the 4.2.2 OTA can be a bit of a hassle if you don't know what you're doing. I have posted a guide above for unlocking bootloader, rooting and such. Be aware that unlocking the bootloader (which is required in order to install custom recovery and therefore root/custom ROMs) wipes your virtual SD card, meaning you'll most likely end up with the device just as you bought it from the factory, empty.

I prefer to root because there are some applications that I need that require root privileges, like Titanium Backup, Greenify and several others which I cannot recall at the moment. Here is a nice list of popular applications that require rooting: Top 15 Apps To Install After Rooting Your Android Device

It's probably outdated since it's in 2011 but it'll give you an idea

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I would at least unlock the bootloader and go s-off now, You never know what will be included in the OTA, They may throw a wrench in the mix and lock the bootloader down and you'll have to wait until there is another exploit.