Enabling Graffiti For Android (the keyboard app) on ONE

John Hall35

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Carrier: Telus (Alberta Canada) - tho I don't think that is relevant to my query.

I've tried several keyboard replacements over the years, and don't do well with any except Graffiti, which I used back in the days of Palm Pilot.
So I was delighted about a year ago to find that Graffiti had been ported to Android. I've used that since discovering it, on an Asus TF101,
a Nexus 7 and an HTC Desire. My Desire recently became less desirable because of the "Storage is almost full" limitation,
so I upgraded the Desire to an HTC ONE, which comes with 16GB. Whoopee!

Only to find that Graffiti is not usable on the ONE. NOT Whoopee! Apparently there are two Gotchas - (I can't now find the info which notes the causes,
but one is related to Sense, the other prevents a long press on a text field, which is required to switch keyboards).

As a potential alternative I'm trying MessagEase, but am having quite a learning struggle with it. (My brain is past its 'Best Before' date).
I like the concept, and the learning games are really good - looks like they paid as much attention to learning as they did to the actual app.

But I'd still prefer to use Graffiti for Android if it were operational.

Is anyone aware of a workaround, fix or hack?
BTW the Graffiti developer is apparently out of the loop now.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I've never heard of that keyboard before, but if Sense is the issue, then you could just flash a Google Edition ROM which is basically stock Android like the one on your Nexus, but that would be overdoing it just for a keyboard since I believe Sense is a great UI and a nice upgrade from stock Android, to be honest, but then again it's all preference.

I have used a couple of good 3rd party keyboard applications before like SwiftKey Keyboard, A.I. type Keyboard and Swype. I also usually use Google Keyboard even on my Sense-based HTC One because it feels better and you can disable the annoying "letter pop-up" thing.

John Hall35

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your response, but there are apparently two problems:
1) HTC's latest Sense (I've read) prevents being able to select a keyboarding method in an input field.
I'm not clear if this is a bug or working-as-designed.
2) something prevents Graffiti's License check from working, so it won't start. I then tried the free version,
assuming that it would not need to check the non-existent license, but it made no difference.

John Hall35

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Graffiti is working again!!!
Just had another attempt and found it now works.
My HTC ONE s'ware is
Android version 4.1.2
HTC Sense version 5.0 I think this is what was the problem, but I don't know when the update occurred.
I have Graffiti Pro set as the only keyboard in Settings but that may not matter, because
1) to set input method tap in an input area, a (very small) keyboard iconette appears in the Notification area - use that to select input method).
NB previous instructions to change input method was 'long press' in input area but that brings us some other gizmos, so use a normal (short) tap.

2) the Graffiti input area is only about 10mm tall, I'll need to re-train my large fingertip.

UglyAtrix

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Graffiti app for Android

I'm replying to the comment that the Graffiti developer is "out of the loop." I am also a fat-fingered ex Palm Pilot user from my software days in Seattle, and the Graffiti app was a significant reason for my purchase of Android (although my choice of the then supposedly wonderful new Atrix was a poor choice). Generally, it has worked well for me, but I've come across a few glitches and, in trying to track down the developer, I've come to the conclusion that it has been left to die, like the old PP users. Can I assume there is no development or further support for it??
Thanks,
Rob

John Hall35

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Graffiti app for Android

IIRC the rights to Graffiti for Android were bought by (or somehow ended up with) ACCESS CO LTD. Their website does not mention Graffiti, but I sent them an email about it anyway - no response. I suggested they make the height user-selectable. When looking at comments for it on Google Play there are many complaints about the size of the input area, but many people would still prefer Graffiti if the input area height problem was fixed.

I've been trying to find how they calculate the height (width is always the display width), hoping I could find some critical value that could be changed by a software parch, but found nothing that makes sense.

Here's a suggestion for ACCESS: Since you can't or won't support it, sell it to some hacker who would take it over.

Wimala

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site

Though it's been a while, has any one found a solution to adjust the height of the graffiti input area?
I just switched from Note 8.0 to Galaxy Tab S (Android Kitkat) but with the new device the graffiti input area is very small.
appreciate if any solution to this.
thanks,

Wimala

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site

Though it's been a while, has any one found a solution to adjust the height of the graffiti input area?
I just switched from Note 8.0 to Galaxy Tab S (Android Kitkat) but with the new device the graffiti input area is very small.
appreciate if any solution to this.
thanks,

ner1116

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, I have a complete solution for this. It requires some apk files which I couldn't upload on here. PM me and I'll send you the files directly.

jackielinn

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I'd be interested in your solution for increasing the size of the input screen for graffitti. Don't know what it means to PM you??
Thanks, Jackie

myhilo

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I was able to get graffiti installed and working on my Samsung S5 SM-G900V w/ android ver. 5.0 (verizon).
I also am interested in getting the text entry area expanded.

UglyAtrix

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Same issue. Graffiti entry area worked well on my old Atrix, but the area was too narrow on my Galaxy, same on LG3. However, when travelling, I acquired a cheap ZTE (free phone from ATT) and the text entry area is again reasonable--no idea why but I'll try the solutions suggested as I am of the fat fingered, old Palm Pilot generation.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay