How to update SuperSU if converted to GPe?

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I did the full RUU update to GPe (with Root). So, how do I update SuperSU? Through the play store, everything is up to date, but when I run it, I get the options to update via TWRP/CWM or Normal. Normal just sits there, and since I don't have a custom recovery, I don't know what to do.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't mean it requires an update, I believe it means that the SU binary has to be installed in order for the root to actually work. Do you have any other SuperUser applications installed? And are you sure your device is rooted at the moment (as in applications like TitaniumBackup and Greenify are functional)?

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't mean it requires an update, I believe it means that the SU binary has to be installed in order for the root to actually work. Do you have any other SuperUser applications installed? And are you sure your device is rooted at the moment (as in applications like TitaniumBackup and Greenify are functional)?

Yes. I use Titanium Backup and a couple of other apps. They all work fine, so I'm not too worried, and it asks me permission when an app needs super user. I just can't pull it up.

So, because I don't have TWRP or CWM then I don't know of a way to update the binary.

Posted via Android Central App

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Ah I thought you had a custom recovery. Yeah, that's probably it then. You'd need to install a custom recovery first and then update the binary. Sorry I couldn't be much help.

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Ah I thought you had a custom recovery. Yeah, that's probably it then. You'd need to install a custom recovery first and then update the binary. Sorry I couldn't be much help.

Once I've converted to full GPe, can I still install custom recovery? Why is it, I think I can't?

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Custom recoveries have nothing to do with the ROMs installed, meaning you can install them even if there's no ROM installed on your device. Yes, after fully converting to GPe (by running the GPe ROM) you can then boot into the system once then reboot into bootloader and install custom recovery (read online tutorials on how to do it, it's just one or two commands that you enter in fastboot, fairly easy).

I'd recommend using TWRP since it has been wonderful for me even though in the past I used CWM, after booting into TWRP then choosing to reboot it'll automatically tell you that your ROM is not rooted and whether you'd like to root it. If you press install SuperSU it'll install it.

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Custom recoveries have nothing to do with the ROMs installed, meaning you can install them even if there's no ROM installed on your device. Yes, after fully converting to GPe (by running the GPe ROM) you can then boot into the system once then reboot into bootloader and install custom recovery (read online tutorials on how to do it, it's just one or two commands that you enter in fastboot, fairly easy).

I'd recommend using TWRP since it has been wonderful for me even though in the past I used CWM, after booting into TWRP then choosing to reboot it'll automatically tell you that your ROM is not rooted and whether you'd like to root it. If you press install SuperSU it'll install it.

Yeah, I did the whole TWRP, SU and S-OFF when the phone was a Developer Edition. Now that I converted to "pure" GPe via RUU, I didn't know if I could install TWRP again. But, it looks like I can. So problem solved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo