TMO HTC One possibly bricked, need guidance

rwking75

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm not new to rooting/unlocking Android devices but I'm stumped here and out of ideas.

TMO HTC One, NEVER rooted or unlocked, didn't feel I needed to and I actually like the Stock Rom on it. Been running funny and slow the past week. Did a Factory Data Reset on it thru settings, then it quickly booted into Recovery. Tried wiping thru recovery but it goes into a bootloop. It brings up the wipe animation for 2 seconds then loops back to splash screen and same wipe animation.

I was able to boot into recovery and noticed it said "TAMPERED" on top....like I mentioned before I never bothered rooting/unlocking this phone.

Decided that I might need to unlock it to recover it. Went thru the normal HTC Dev process and was successful. Phone is Unlocked, still TAMPERED, but because I can not boot into the device, I can not enable USB debugging.

Tried flashing CWM and TWRP while device is in bootloader, I get the 2 command screens but no response. My PC does recogonize the device, HTC Sync does pop up.

I simply just want to flash the stock ROM back on it. Any advice is gladly appreciated.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The only way the device would say Tampered is if the bootloader was previously unlocked. Are you the original owner of this device or was it purchased used? Is it a refurb?

Chances are if its a refurb or used it wasn't properly " cleaned out and re certified " back to new/stock form before put back out into circulation...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If your interested in getting it back to working form you will need to locate the stock RUU for it and follow the instructions to flash it using either FASTBOOT or using the HTC One Toolkits that are available...

rwking75

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Noob question then, how am I supposed to flash the RUU in fastboot if I din;t install CMW on the device and the RUU file is NOT saved on the device memory?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Noob question then, how am I supposed to flash the RUU in fastboot if I din;t install CMW on the device and the RUU file is NOT saved on the device memory?

The RUU would be on your computer, connected to your device via USB cable. You would then run the RUU using fastboot, again on your computer to flash the device back to factory stock firmware.

Note: this doesn't mean it will remove the tampered tag in your boot loader and lock the boot loader back up. That you still have to do in separate steps.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

mmednick1

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone tell me how to restore my HTC one to factory. I traded for this phone and it is rooted with viperone. I never rooted a phone before so I can't figure out how to put it back to factory. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone tell me how to restore my HTC one to factory. I traded for this phone and it is rooted with viperone. I never rooted a phone before so I can't figure out how to put it back to factory. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
I suggest that you do some reading on rooting, custom recovery , the bootloader just to get a feel of what your are working with and why. You can flash a stock rom just the way the phone is now without doing anything more to it so later down the line you can go with a custom rom if you have a change of heart.
BTW what carrier are you on. is the bootloader s-on or s-off, and what firmware version are you on?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR