Unable to wipe encrypted HTC ONE

Condor12

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
This question was also posted here: [Q] Unable to wipe encrypted HTC ONE - xda-developers
I'm unable to wipe my encrypted device using TWRP. I'm running Android Revolution HD 22.0 on an HTC One. I had encrypted my device. Now whenever I try to use TWRP to wipe (so that I can upgrade Android Revolution), it fails. I am concerned of briking my device if I do something weird...

=====TWRP=====
TWRP v2.6.0.1
Wipe > Factory Reset, Wipes Data, Cache, and Dalvik (not including internal storage)

Code:
Failed
E: Unable to mount '/data'
E: Unable to mount internal storage
E: Unable to mount /data/media during GUI startup
E: Unable to mount /data/media/TWRP/.twrps when 
E: Unable to mount '/data'
Formatting cache using mke2fs...
================
IMG_1169.JPG

IMG_1170.JPG

Condor12

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
No. If I try I can only manually mount System and cache (it does not let me select Data). But then suppose I do mount System and manage to wipe, I think I may end up bricking it.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
No. If I try I can only manually mount System and cache (it does not let me select Data). But then suppose I do mount System and manage to wipe, I think I may end up bricking it.
Wiping only cleans out the system files so when you flash another rom you wont have any issues.

FrankieA

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I realize this is an old thread - but I thought I'd bump it up with an answer for everyone else that's struggling with this problem.

Situation: You have a rooted HTC One, with a custom recovery like TWRP and your phone storage is Encrypted.
Problem: You can't do a factory wipe of the device, or flash a new ROM on because your recovery/TWRP can't mount the data partition.

Solution: Install CWM recovery instead. Go to the Mount and Storage page, and choose "format /data and format /data/media" option at the bottom of the list of options. This option doesn't require CWM to try and mount the partition first (which would fail due to encryption), but just does a straight format. After this, you can install TWRP and flash a new ROM again! :)

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I realize this is an old thread - but I thought I'd bump it up with an answer for everyone else that's struggling with this problem.

Situation: You have a rooted HTC One, with a custom recovery like TWRP and your phone storage is Encrypted.
Problem: You can't do a factory wipe of the device, or flash a new ROM on because your recovery/TWRP can't mount the data partition.

Solution: Install CWM recovery instead. Go to the Mount and Storage page, and choose "format /data and format /data/media" option at the bottom of the list of options. This option doesn't require CWM to try and mount the partition first (which would fail due to encryption), but just does a straight format. After this, you can install TWRP and flash a new ROM again! :)

Im not a fan CWM but it does have more options i have used it at times and always go back to twrp. Thanks for the info.

dwestall

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Will this work on the at&t HTC One M8? Also, does this allow me to return to stock recovery?

Thanks.

RaghuChary

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi, thanks for this input. I am stuck in this situation -
HTC one M8 2014 international GSM unlocked S-off
TWRP as recovery and ARHD 41 stock with ROM installed
encrypted phone
unable to install CWM... can't get device to be recognised by laptop when in bootloader (though recognised in recovery)

tried a restore and clean install - both made the ROM unusable

now all i can do is gt into TWRP and install nothing!
Any help appreciated.

RaghuChary

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site

specifically - how do i install CWM recovery?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois