Rooting stock ROM without installing custom ROM

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I am a new to the rooting scene and want to install a few apps that will help me with the gesture (tap to wake) features. Do I need to install a custom ROM for this or can I root my stock ROM instead?

I have a Bell HTC One (M7) running 4.4.2 Kit Kat.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You can try rooting first. Most of the time, you need to root before installing a custom ROM, anyway. However, with HTC devices, when you root, the bootloader might need to be unlocked which will wipe the device.

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
You can try rooting first. Most of the time, you need to root before installing a custom ROM, anyway. However, with HTC devices, when you root, the bootloader might need to be unlocked which will wipe the device.

So once I root, I need to install a ROM after, right? Can I install the stock ROM itself? If so, how do I do that?

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that info. So just for information purposes, why do people install custom ROM's then?

Also, how does one go about just rooting and sticking with custom stock ROM?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that info. So just for information purposes, why do people install custom ROM's then?

Also, how does one go about just rooting and sticking with custom stock ROM?

I typically go custom to get AOSP. Some custom ROMs have a lot of extra tweaking you can change. It all depends on who built it.

As for a stock ROM there are ways to modify the ROM framework. Xposed framework is one way to do that.
Rooting is gaining superuser access to make changes in the ROM. Depending on what is done, the changes can be both good and bad.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I think I am going to give Xposed framework a shot.

Now reading on some websites, they say I need to install kernels and stuff...what's that? I am looking to install some wake gestures that will let me turn on the screen without pressing the button but I need wake kernels installed. Where do I find those?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think I am going to give Xposed framework a shot.

Now reading on some websites, they say I need to install kernels and stuff...what's that? I am looking to install some wake gestures that will let me turn on the screen without pressing the button but I need wake kernels installed. Where do I find those?

Kernels are separate programming segments that convert software commands to hardware and vice versa. Depending on which kernel was stock for you and what you are considering on installing, it might be a good idea to change, or not.

More info on Xposed: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...7-guide-getting-started-xposed-framework.html

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21