FREE BEER (seriously) to anyone who can unbrick my phone!

MaskdBagel

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
[Reposting from AAQ - I know I'm a bit off topic, as my problem is related to a different model, but hoping for help anyhow]

Holy moly, was this a bummer. I started the day having gotten part way to rooting my HTC Butterfly (d, not e), then deciding I might want to sell it, or I might just not need to root it do what I want it to do. So I posted a message wondering how to replace TWRP with the stock recovery. Got an answer quickly (thanks!), but there was a bad link in the proposed solution. Took it to a friend, who poked around in TWRP and wiped the OS. It was booting fine before that, it just wouldn't take the HTC Jelly Bean update (from ICS) because it had a messed up recovery environment. I could have lived with it. I didn't poke him in the eye with a stick, but I did consider it.

I downloaded an 820 MB zip that was supposed to have stock everything, flashed it with fastboot via bootRUU: still no OS installed.
Tried flashing the API 17 System.img from the SDK to the system partition. Appeared to work, but with no visible result.
Downloaded what was supposed to be the stock recovery.img and loaded it up. No dice. Now I don't have any recovery environment at all. Although I did get a new screen at that point. It had a phone, and a circular arrow symbol sort of like a recycling mark, and a progress bar at the bottom. After about 7 or 8 seconds, it restarted and stayed on the white HTC screen, which it still has if the battery hasn't died. It won't even stay off if I try to turn it off.

So give it to me straight, folks. How screwed am I at this point? Surely someone knows how to do something here, right? I got this phone from a friend because my other phone (Lumia 920) was acting up and I wanted to give Android another shot (I had a GS3 before and didn't really like it - my day and a half with the HTC was great), so I'm pretty new to all of this. Also phoneless.

One more note: the computers I have at my disposal are a Windows 8.1 laptop that won't enumerate the phone as a USB device, and a couple of machines with OS X.

So. Have at it. I'm being 100% serious when I say that I will buy someone a beer if they can help me get up and running again. I'll even mail it to you if you're not in the Seattle area (or somewhere out of the country, but if you're in London - I'm there often enough to make good on this).

Thanks in advance, and apologies in advance for some ignorance here. Really appreciate any help!

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
[Reposting from AAQ - I know I'm a bit off topic, as my problem is related to a different model, but hoping for help anyhow]

Holy moly, was this a bummer. I started the day having gotten part way to rooting my HTC Butterfly (d, not e), then deciding I might want to sell it, or I might just not need to root it do what I want it to do. So I posted a message wondering how to replace TWRP with the stock recovery. Got an answer quickly (thanks!), but there was a bad link in the proposed solution. Took it to a friend, who poked around in TWRP and wiped the OS. It was booting fine before that, it just wouldn't take the HTC Jelly Bean update (from ICS) because it had a messed up recovery environment. I could have lived with it. I didn't poke him in the eye with a stick, but I did consider it.

I downloaded an 820 MB zip that was supposed to have stock everything, flashed it with fastboot via bootRUU: still no OS installed.
Tried flashing the API 17 System.img from the SDK to the system partition. Appeared to work, but with no visible result.
Downloaded what was supposed to be the stock recovery.img and loaded it up. No dice. Now I don't have any recovery environment at all. Although I did get a new screen at that point. It had a phone, and a circular arrow symbol sort of like a recycling mark, and a progress bar at the bottom. After about 7 or 8 seconds, it restarted and stayed on the white HTC screen, which it still has if the battery hasn't died. It won't even stay off if I try to turn it off.

So give it to me straight, folks. How screwed am I at this point? Surely someone knows how to do something here, right? I got this phone from a friend because my other phone (Lumia 920) was acting up and I wanted to give Android another shot (I had a GS3 before and didn't really like it - my day and a half with the HTC was great), so I'm pretty new to all of this. Also phoneless.

One more note: the computers I have at my disposal are a Windows 8.1 laptop that won't enumerate the phone as a USB device, and a couple of machines with OS X.

So. Have at it. I'm being 100% serious when I say that I will buy someone a beer if they can help me get up and running again. I'll even mail it to you if you're not in the Seattle area (or somewhere out of the country, but if you're in London - I'm there often enough to make good on this).

Thanks in advance, and apologies in advance for some ignorance here. Really appreciate any help!

I dont drinl lol ..Bummer If you are willing to send it to me and trust me i can fix it up for you. It sounds like you are quite new to this and for me to explain what needs to be done has been a PITA in the past.
Send me a PM if you are willing. You can check me out here,,,http://www.scottsroms.com/member.php?389-benny3
And here...http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=4366089 And of coarse here ...http://forums.androidcentral.com/members/benny3-469129/

Last edited: