T-Mobile HTC One S - Ask me anything

Cranky Bear

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
My contract is up in a couple of months, so I have time, but thinking ahead, I'm REALLY nervous about that battery. I had the HTC G1, which had a CRAP battery, and I keep hearing that HTC keeps putting form over functionality and thinks battery life is not important. That coupled with a non-removable battery makes me leery. I want a smartphone that can last the whole day without a charge. I currently have the Samsung Vibrant, but I'm turned off by Samsung because once they issue their phone, they move on to the next one and don't support the original. Any more thoughts on the battery life, Phil?

Alvaromiami

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
What about battery life? My sensation and amaze will last 5 or 6 hours on standby, just reading and answering a few emails and a couple of calls... I have them customized to save battery but it won't last more than 6 hours. Is this fixed now?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
What about battery life? My sensation and amaze will last 5 or 6 hours on standby, just reading and answering a few emails and a couple of calls... I have them customized to save battery but it won't last more than 6 hours. Is this fixed now?

Not sure what you expect to be "fixed" from one phone to another. It's an entirely different device, altogether.

a1c99686-86c5-43da-82c8-a10b960d5062.jpg

Reactions: Andrew Martonik

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
My contract is up in a couple of months, so I have time, but thinking ahead, I'm REALLY nervous about that battery. I had the HTC G1, which had a CRAP battery, and I keep hearing that HTC keeps putting form over functionality and thinks battery life is not important. That coupled with a non-removable battery makes me leery. I want a smartphone that can last the whole day without a charge. I currently have the Samsung Vibrant, but I'm turned off by Samsung because once they issue their phone, they move on to the next one and don't support the original. Any more thoughts on the battery life, Phil?

It really, REALLY comes down to your connection to TMo. If you're in a good network spot, battery life actually is pretty good.

If you can be on Wifi as much as possible, it's even better.

And we all need to remember that battery life and battery capacity are two different things.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Hey Phil thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.... I used to have an Amaze 4G and I was SO dissapointed by the screen... although it`s qHD at 256 PPI I used to see pixels ALL OVER the damn screen... colors and shading was pixelated... it was a disaster while my wife`s Vivid looked REALLY crisp.... does this happen with the One S screen since they have the same resolution and ppi? maybe it was just a S-LCD thing...

Not sure about the Vivid. But, yeah. It's noticeable. Takes some getting used to if you're coming back to qHD Super AMOLED from 720p LCD 2 plus. :-/

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm on the verge of snatching up ONE S, especially with t-mobiles upcoming $100 trade in for a working smartphone. Bye, Bye old G1.

But wait with the pentaband GNEX on Google Play for $399 I'm not sure what to do. The GNEX would obviously be a bigger, purer experience.

Which way to go? I will say I love the sense calendar and agenda widgets.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

That's a tough call. Go to the store and feel this thing in your hand. It's sexier in that respect.

sewnrunner

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
If I get to the T Mobile store when it opens will there be a line? Do you think they'll run out of the HTC One S in a day? Should I order it online instead?

jrsmith43

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I got a chance to play with a ONE S last Friday by walking into a store and asking if they had one. They had just gotten it that day and were all phone dork excited about it, like myself, so they busted it out. It was very sexy and after 5 minutes I was excited about it and left jazzed. That being said, the pentile screen irked me on the S. I have spent a little time with the GNEX in verizon store and while I like the idea of the bigger screen for Netflix I'm not so sure about the price difference. If I can snag the trade in deal I could buy the ONE S and an ensquared warranty for $50 less than a GNEX.

Uggh, first world problems!!!!!!!!!!!:p

tanson1011

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Phil should I have Cheerios or mini wheats for breakfast. I love mini wheat but I heard Cheerios are healthier. What do you think.

dcdttu

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
To all those wanting to root and put an AOSP ROM on their One series phone: I wonder how that image processor chip is going to do with AOSP? Is there code for it out there, available so it'll work?

I hope so!

jrsmith43

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Plan in hand. Pick up a HTC ONE S, hopefully with the $100 trade in. Test drive it for 24 hours, very carefully. Place on craigslist for $399. Decide to sell it. Order GNEX from Google Play and end up spending $150 for a GSM Galaxy Nexus, taxes and shipping.

HTC ONE S
$249.99
-$100 T-Mobile Smartphone trade in
$99.99 final out of pocket

Sell on craigslist / ebay
$399
-$99 out of pocket for HTC ONE S

$434.07 according to Google Platy Checkout for Galaxy Nexus shipped and taxed to me
-$300 cleared on ONE S

Just my 13407 cents worth after an evening of consideration. ;)

drewC

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
HTC one S or Motorola Razr?

Which phone should I get?
Here are the cons of each one when compared to one another.

HTC ONE S cons
No SD Card
Only 10GB of user available storage
Shorter Battery life
Bigger form factor (although they are both 4.3" screens)
Small front-facing camera

Motorola Razr cons
No ICS yet
Slower processor (1.2ghz vs 1.5ghz on the ONE S)
Not many camera features
older phone in general (I prefer the newest tech)
No FM radio
No 4G (although my network currently offers HSDPA+ only)

although it may seem straight forward given I have more 'cons' for the Motorola razr, I prefer to have a longer battery life. That is one of the most important things I need. It offers an expandable memory, which I usually need.
I don't play a lot of games, usually Sudoku, but I don't know how the different processors will be able to handle my multitasking. Which I do a lot of.
Can anybody give me their opinion on these phones? Which one will suit me best. I edit docs on the go, check the news and email. Battery life is essential because I am not constantly near chargers. I use every single trick to extend battery life. (I am unable to get the RAZR MAXX but I would).
My previous phone was an Atrix and used to get stuck all the time when I was playing music and working at the same time.
Don't offer me any new alternatives, please. I'm already having a hard time deciding.
Thanks in advance.

You can't simply compare the CPU clock speeds of the two. The One S has an S4 dual core vs the Razr's relatively older OMAP 4430, not to mention the GPU performance. The S4 is also theoretically supposed to be more power efficient.

Phil makes a valid point also about the carrier, unless you're importing a GSM unlocked Razr (if it exists).

Ditarawr

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Do you know if the black (red accent) version will eventually be released on T-Mobile?

Edit: Ah, missed that this question was asked a page or so ago. My apologies.

Italiannyc

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Plan in hand. Pick up a HTC ONE S, hopefully with the $100 trade in. Test drive it for 24 hours, very carefully. Place on craigslist for $399. Decide to sell it. Order GNEX from Google Play and end up spending $150 for a GSM Galaxy Nexus, taxes and shipping.

HTC ONE S
$249.99
-$100 T-Mobile Smartphone trade in
$99.99 final out of pocket

Sell on craigslist / ebay
$399
-$99 out of pocket for HTC ONE S

$434.07 according to Google Platy Checkout for Galaxy Nexus shipped and taxed to me
-$300 cleared on ONE S

Just my 13407 cents worth after an evening of consideration. ;)

You will get more then 100 for your phone on ebay then going through T-Mobile. ALOT more depending on the phone you have