Two bad One S phones in one day - does HTC have QC problems?

gatormark91

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Went down to my local T-Mo store and bought the very first One S this morning.

VERY disappointed.

My wife and I have an MT4G and a G2, we have no problems with great service at my house. Got the One home, and it would not get a signal. AT ALL. BIG X.

I had to use wi-fi calling to get it to work.

Downloading one app at a time, it got hot. Not warm. It got I-don?t-want-to-hold-it-anymore HOT. I was afraid to leave it on the charger, it got so hot. And the full charge barely lasted 2 hours of standby.

So I obviously had a bad one. Took it back to the store, manager happily swaps it out. Take the next one out of its box, and the SIM card cover will not close. Its loose, we both try to get it to fit back right, but its just messed up. Won?t close at all. And the new one WON?T POWER UP.

So, out of two One S, BOTH were crap.

At that point, I had enough and got my money back.

Very disappointing. HTC apparently has some serious QC issues.

Sorry this isn't what you all probably want to hear. Anyone else having problems?

Mark L.
Orlando, FL

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Whoa. That's no good.

Question about it getting hot, though -- was it just while it was doing the initial data sync? Cause I've found that to be the case with most phones, including a number of One S/Xs

303kush

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Damn that sucks. I just bought one today and I hope I don't regret getting a phone with a non removable battery and sd card. So far so good no issues yet.

employedslacker#AC

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine was hot during innitial data sync and while I was on the phone with the sync. Later on in the day when I was on the phone and no data syncing in the background it didn't get hot. I have had one system crash though. Restarted the pho.e and its been good. It could be an app that I synced that's not great with ICS. So I'm not too worried yet.

cheftam

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Zero heat problems here, even during heavy initial syncing as well as Google Music and Spotify syncing.

Sorry about your experience.

nickmv

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
As far as your signal issues, I think I found a semi-serious bug in Sense. Basically, when you first set up wifi, it enables airplane mode once youve connected to a network, or should I say it SORT OF does. If you look at the Settings menu, airplane will be off, but if you hold down the pwr button to bring up the menu, it'll say airplane is ON. Which makes no sense since wifi is working. Anyways, disable wifi calling and turn off airplane mode from the pwr menu a time or two more and it should work. It's the strangest bug and it's hard to document properly, but I've figured out how to solve it. No more problems.

gatormark91

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Nope, did not happen during initial sync. It was all set up, happened up to about 6 hours after I got it, which was when I was worried to have it around and brought it back.

If you did anything on it at all (ie - download a small app and send 3-4 text messages at the same time) it got uncomfortably hot to hold. It got so hot while charging I was afraid to let it keep charging.

The phone worked fine outside, just would not get reception worth anything in my house. I don't have a super-strong signal, my other phones get ~99-100db. Both my G2 and wife's MT4G work great, the One S sucked. And I did see the issue with WiFi calling cutting in and out.

I also had a few app crashes, and I saw several artifacts on the screen that were obviously from bugs - other languages showing up temporarily, bad graphics.

I am pretty tired of HTC putting stuff out and then spending months patching stuff while we all do free Beta testing for them. If I wanted to deal with a buggy OS, I'd put a ROM on my G2.

I am a Unix Admin, and my job is 100% telecommuting. I use my phone all day, and I need it to be stone cold reliable. I just don't think the One S is ready enough to meet the reliability test for me.

I just had no confidence in the One S after two of them came out of the box bad.

Mark

Last edited:

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
As far as your signal issues, I think I found a semi-serious bug in Sense. Basically, when you first set up wifi, it enables airplane mode once youve connected to a network, or should I say it SORT OF does. If you look at the Settings menu, airplane will be off, but if you hold down the pwr button to bring up the menu, it'll say airplane is ON. Which makes no sense since wifi is working. Anyways, disable wifi calling and turn off airplane mode from the pwr menu a time or two more and it should work. It's the strangest bug and it's hard to document properly, but I've figured out how to solve it. No more problems.

??? Just tried, and I'm not seeing that. Did you set up Wifi calling first or no?

buzzyclonecattleman

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Just bought two ONE s two weeks ago from T-Mobile for me and the wife. Mine does get somewhat warm during charging and and during prolonged heavy lifting, but completely fine in standby (I do not sync all 3 of my accounts constantly, I have Llama go wifi and sync them for me automatically whenever I plug in at my home or work location, cool app). I downloaded over 160 apps and they did download rather randomly in chunks and have experienced an uncomfortable warm when holding during that time but not anything I could not handle,but my hands are a bit sensitive from a lot of mouse work all day. I was warned about it at the store since this is all metal and it is using it to dissipate heat and is obviously a great conductor over my plastic phones of the past. I did not like any of their cases at the store, but I would bet I wouldn't even notice with the case, wife bought one and she would complain and hasn't. Thin and good specs at the same time make me a little more tolerant of temp changes, but in general I can see a small percentage of coverless users would see it as uncomfortable during heavy usage. Have seen some on the boards say theirs went really hot when they first get it, but now all is well. Don't know if you used the stock charger but my cheap car charger got it much warmer than my stock and I wanted to put it down in the car when I was trying to talk. My bet is you had a lot of data traffic when you first bought the device on top of downloading a ton of apps (not just initial sync) rather than a defective battery, but to be honest I was pleasantly surprised as my HTC amaze's battery did not handle my heavy usage as well. I even bought the neat slim external battery from T-Mo just in case and have only needed it once in the evening when I was traveling all day and almost constantly on sms or phone. Overall happy over the Amaze.
I have seen certain times when my phone shows a great signal but my wife's shows no signal driving down the road in the car. We got on T Mobile's TRUE unlimited plan, but I blame the network's tower switching/throttling/creative bandwidth saving rules over the phone, but I can only speculate. More people bogging up the network and the newer the phones, the more control they have over your tower connections. Not saying your device is not defective, just my experience, and I do believe they can do a better job with cooling. All dual core processor phones get hot, bleeding edge here, it's whether you can figure it out enough to work for you, or you need a less powerful phone that will just under clock that dual for you. Heck my i7 laptop melted a cheap pair of nylon sweats, but it crunches crazy big spreadsheets better than the accountant's MacBook that chokes on them.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante