HTC One S 3g?

ingram1225

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok So I THINK I understand the spectrum lables... I just never had a phone that didnt display "Switch to 2g only" or "Switch to 3g only" or "Switch to 2g or 3g auto". So... with that in mind:

How do you switch to 3g only on this phone? The 2g is way to slow (showed up as E on my motorola smartphones or is that 3g?) and I think the 4g where I live is way to buggy/slow/bogged down... you name it.

ingram1225

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Does yours say "3g"? Mine just says 4g when I select the setting for 3g

NOPE! 3g is never displayed... that's what was confusing the crap out of me! PLUS... both faux 4g and real 4g have the same download speeds (in my area).

...BUT the manual says so... so it must be 3g.

SphincterBoy

May 11, 2010
Visit site
When it doesn't say 4G it says 2G, never 3G. And I can't get any data when it says 2G, so I believe it is truly 2G. Quite disappointing that it doesn't go to 3G since 2G is useless.

anon(839863)

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying to get 2G only (for battery preservation reasons), and my One S only lets me select between "WCDMA only" (ie 3G connection only) and "GSM / WCDMA auto". I have no "GSM only" to use a 2G connection only. Any ideas?
If it assists, I'm in the UK and on the 3 network.

Wi77

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
When it doesn't say 4G it says 2G, never 3G. And I can't get any data when it says 2G, so I believe it is truly 2G. Quite disappointing that it doesn't go to 3G since 2G is useless.

I'm in the same boat as you, since I live on an island I mostly only get 2g reception when on my windows phone (HD7) I get 3G, I love everything else about this phone it just sucks when my data is almost none existent when 4G or wifi is not available.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Tmo is currently reframing there whole network, expanding 4G and adding LTE, and since we only gained little Spectrum, they are mostly taking the space from the previous 2G.

So soon enough our Phones will only be on 4G as 2G will almost be non existant.