Gmail vs. Mail

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
So, I use folders in Gmail, rather than labeling everything (ie: if I need to save an email, I just move it to the appropriate folder). I have noticed that in the Gmail app I can only apply labels, while in the Mail app I can move things to folders. Right now I am reduced to going to gmail on my laptop once a day to move the things I want to keep into their appropriate folders.

My question: I want to set up my Gmail account in the Mail app and delete my account from the Gmail app both since I wouldn't use it, and to avoide duplicate notifications. I need to know if deleting my account there will affect all the other google services (calendar, play, etc.) on my phone. Would it make more sense to leave the account in the Gmail app and just set it to manual update with no notifications (to avoid duplicate notifications) and never use it?

Of course, then I wouldn't have push for Gmail...

So I need opinions and knowledge from people who use Mail for their Gmail accounts and reasons why it's a bad idea, too.

Thanks everyone.

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, I don't have the same problem. When I label something In the Gmail app, it is moved to that folder, I don't have to do it again on my computer.

Also, deleting that email from Gmail will not affect anything else on the phone.

Reactions: Blaize19

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
You don't understand how Gmail works. Labels are effectively folders, but unlike folders in a normal sense, when you apply a label (or multiple labels) you aren't creating duplication in your mailbox. Also, if you apply a label to something that is in your inbox, and then Archive it from the inbox, you are effectively "moving" it from your inbox. It's still accessible from the label "folder".

All of this is manageable from your phone using the Gmail app. No need to go to the desktop to manage your mail. Be sure to download the latest version from the Play Store.

Reactions: Blaize19

rhauer

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the mail app to the gmail app however it wont automatically, on push or a predefined time period, deliver email. Is it me or is that mind boggiling that gmail wont work on an android based email app.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I prefer the mail app to the gmail app however it wont automatically, on push or a predefined time period, deliver email. Is it me or is that mind boggiling that gmail wont work on an android based email app.

Gmail can work in an IMAP mail client, but if you don't use the Gmail app then you lose the benefits/features of Gmail. The Gmail app supports Gmail's push capabilities. Gmail does a lot more than basic IMAP email. That's why basic mail clients don't show it in its best light.

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
You don't understand how Gmail works. Labels are effectively folders, but unlike folders in a normal sense, when you apply a label (or multiple labels) you aren't creating duplication in your mailbox. Also, if you apply a label to something that is in your inbox, and then Archive it from the inbox, you are effectively "moving" it from your inbox. It's still accessible from the label "folder".

All of this is manageable from your phone using the Gmail app. No need to go to the desktop to manage your mail. Be sure to download the latest version from the Play Store.

Gotcha. Guess I'm not used to using archive to do that, even on the desktop. Now that I know I'll be perfectly fine with the Gmail app. Thanks. :)

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Gotcha. Guess I'm not used to using archive to do that, even on the desktop. Now that I know I'll be perfectly fine with the Gmail app. Thanks. :)

You're welcome. You can also set up filters to assign labels to emails automatically. The filters can either leave an email in your inbox or bypass your inbox and archive to the label (or labels) of your choice.

For example, I have all my various newsletter emails get labeled and archived to a "Newsletters" label (with its own notification sound and color code). Same for financial, forums, Facebook emails, etc. Anything that I don't want cluttering my inbox. It's very handy and all automatic. I don't even need to apply the labels myself. I have a couple dozen filter rules that do it all for me.
60ff1103-4754-4dde.jpg

Last edited:

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
That's pretty cool. I don't get enough email to make that necessary, I just wanted to be able to clear my inbox and still find stuff I want to keep and you totally gave me that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12