New to the family! need info

Androidz

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys

I have just jumped BlackBerry ship for Android experience. I have bought the Htc one S and I am really fond of it so far. Happy going.

I am really used to updating softwares on the BlackBerry and my main priority is to know, how you update the android softwares. I know the option in settings then about and so on but is it just that (OTA) or is there any other way? i.e. the BlackBerry have desktop manager tool. What does Htc or Android have for that reason?

Secondly, I would like know, can we update any carriers software on another carriers phone? For instance I have Virgin Canada Htc one S and recently T mobile USA released android 4.0.4 for Htc One S so can I download that? if so, how? and if not, then what way can i?

I have 4.0.3 with Sense 4.0 but I would like to have 4.0.4 and possibly Htc Sense 4.1 if its out?

Lastly, What is rooting? what does it do? and how to root my device? Will I be able to download free paid applications like a jailbroken Iphone?

Thanks in advance for the help guys !!

Horr1bleK1tten

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys

I have just jumped BlackBerry ship for Android experience. I have bought the Htc one S and I am really fond of it so far. Happy going.

I am really used to updating softwares on the BlackBerry and my main priority is to know, how you update the android softwares. I know the option in settings then about and so on but is it just that (OTA) or is there any other way? i.e. the BlackBerry have desktop manager tool. What does Htc or Android have for that reason?

Secondly, I would like know, can we update any carriers software on another carriers phone? For instance I have Virgin Canada Htc one S and recently T mobile USA released android 4.0.4 for Htc One S so can I download that? if so, how? and if not, then what way can i?

I have 4.0.3 with Sense 4.0 but I would like to have 4.0.4 and possibly Htc Sense 4.1 if its out?

Lastly, What is rooting? what does it do? and how to root my device? Will I be able to download free paid applications like a jailbroken Iphone?

Thanks in advance for the help guys !!

HTC OTA some Samsung phones use kies or ota. And no as far as I know it could Brick ur phone. The update comes with android 4.0.4 and sense 4.1. Rooting allows u to acces ur system files and you can install apps away from the playstore without rooting unlike ios.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Androidz

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
HTC OTA some Samsung phones use kies or ota. And no as far as I know it could Brick ur phone. The update comes with android 4.0.4 and sense 4.1. Rooting allows u to acces ur system files and you can install apps away from the playstore without rooting unlike ios.

Thanks!

so from what I get, I cant update my software to the Tmobile software or any other networks software that has been or will be released?

My Phone was locked on Virgin Canada and I am with Telus Canada so I got it unlocked. Thus I will have to wait for Virgin to release 4.0.4 or Telus to release it or HTC? Sorry I am new to this so I might sound stupid.

What advantages do I have with access to system files if I am to root my phone? and what does "install apps away from Playstore" mean?

Thanks again.

Horr1bleK1tten

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

so from what I get, I cant update my software to the Tmobile software or any other networks software that has been or will be released?

My Phone was locked on Virgin Canada and I am with Telus Canada so I got it unlocked. Thus I will have to wait for Virgin to release 4.0.4 or Telus to release it or HTC? Sorry I am new to this so I might sound stupid.

What advantages do I have with access to system files if I am to root my phone? and what does "install apps away from Playstore" mean?

Thanks again.

Yeah you have to wait for your carrier to release it. And there are a lot of advantages to rooting you can customize your phone to your liking remove bloatware are install custom roms. And installing apps away from the playstore is the equivalent of when you jailbreak an ios device and install apps. You download the app file from another source then install.