HTC One S - Back to Android from WP7.5?

NickNick43

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Been thinking of jumping back into the Android world after 9 months with WP7.5 on a Lumia 710. I had Android for about 3 years and finally before I threw my Galaxy S 4G (Tmobile) out the window of my car traded it for the Lumia 710 Windows Phone. I love the look of the ceramic black One S and I am able to upgrade and get the phone for around 80 bucks. I have read about the home screen button issue but I am more concerned about every day lag and freezing. My Galaxy S 4g would constantly freeze right at the moment I need to use a phone function like GPS or calling someone and I was having to pull the battery out at least every other day.

So long story short, I would like the flexibility of Android again and I think I would love the hardware but I do not want to give up what WP7.5 gives me. Basically a phone that simply does what I prompt it to do.

Thoughts?

Thanks for all of your input ahead of time. I am thinking of having the phone shipped today.

~Nick

limdoug

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a One S as my temporary phone until my Nexus 4 comes in...before this I had a Nexus S, GS2, GS3, Evo 4g, Evo LTE and Galaxy Nexus (not in that order). This One S is easily my favorite of them all. It doesn't feel like a toy in my hands and I haven't had any issues with freezing or anything like that. If you are set on a contract, then I'd say it's a good choice.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Been thinking of jumping back into the Android world after 9 months with WP7.5 on a Lumia 710. I had Android for about 3 years and finally before I threw my Galaxy S 4G (Tmobile) out the window of my car traded it for the Lumia 710 Windows Phone. I love the look of the ceramic black One S and I am able to upgrade and get the phone for around 80 bucks. I have read about the home screen button issue but I am more concerned about every day lag and freezing. My Galaxy S 4g would constantly freeze right at the moment I need to use a phone function like GPS or calling someone and I was having to pull the battery out at least every other day.

So long story short, I would like the flexibility of Android again and I think I would love the hardware but I do not want to give up what WP7.5 gives me. Basically a phone that simply does what I prompt it to do.

Thoughts?

Thanks for all of your input ahead of time. I am thinking of having the phone shipped today.

~Nick

I know what you mean... I had the first Generation Samsung Galaxy S (vibrant) and I hated it. So I rooted it which solved some of the issues. but not all of them (GPS)
So when this phone came out I was the first in line. And it is a huge upgrade. Night and Day. I wont go back to Samsung. The One S is smooth... and doesnt freeze... there are some minor issues that happen once in a blue moon. (random Reboots, SwiftKey issues, and lag when trying to redial) but Id say thats it. And like Doug said... feels great in the hand... not all plasticy (samsung)

NickNick43

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Thank you both for your thoughts. The Samsung was quite platic-y and toy like. Very thin for it's time but still creaked int he hand. My Lumia 710 while platic is a solid piece of kit, although fat and lacking screen real estate. Still trying to get TMo customer service to ship the phone free. I'll keep you updated.

@ryandroid86 - I love Swiftkey. What are the issues with it and how often do you experience reboots. I have had to hard reset my WP only once in 9 months.

NickNick43

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
$20 with express shipping. Ceramic Black was on backorder though so may not have the device for about a week. Pretty excited. Honestly mostly excited about the form factor and camera speed.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you both for your thoughts. The Samsung was quite platic-y and toy like. Very thin for it's time but still creaked int he hand. My Lumia 710 while platic is a solid piece of kit, although fat and lacking screen real estate. Still trying to get TMo customer service to ship the phone free. I'll keep you updated.

@ryandroid86 - I love Swiftkey. What are the issues with it and how often do you experience reboots. I have had to hard reset my WP only once in 9 months.

for some odd reason... you will see a screen flicker a couple times a day using swiftkey. it doesnt mess anything up... just annoying. and the reboots diffure among phones. some people on the this forum complain of many random reboots. mine has only done it twice since I have had it. And yeah... you will love this camera... its amazing. My Iphone friends always ask me to take the pictures.. haha

NickNick43

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Can't wait to get it. I love Swiftkey so hopefully it's not too bad. The quick shooting modes on the camera is what I think I'll like above and beyond any quality difference compared to my current 5MP shooter.

biga57

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I never tried Android before, been with NOKIA (Symbian ) for my past 13 years. I was lured to switch to Lumia 800 with WP7.5. It was my worst nightmare. Never ever experienced such a S#*T , unfriendly and unflexible software.
Now with HTC one s. I love it and I love Android's flexibility and ease of use.
Very happy to have trashed that piece of crap. Never again a Nokia or a WP in my house again !

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae