Officially given up on the the HTC One S

jhowle9475

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I have had this phone since last June and After waiting and waiting for the jellybean update and it still not coming, I have given up. Happily, I have upgraded to the Nexus 4 and it is so much better. I am glad I have made the switch and I suggest that everyone that has a One S, and is able to upgrade, go ahead and get the Nexus 4. It come stock with jellybean 4.2.2 and no bloat ware. If you can buy a phone in this manner with the newest version of android, with NO BLOAT WARE installed, why wait for a android version that is behind. it didn't make since to me anymore so I gave up. The Nexus 4 come GSM unlocked and unbranded out of the box and more importantly, receives it's updates directly from Google. No need to wait for a carrier, or manufacturer to toy and bloat before putting out.

dgwphotography

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Did you upgrade, or buy directly from Google? I did the same, and ordered direct. I got mine on Monday after ordering it the previous Wednesday.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
good for you... I gave up 2 months ago and decided to root. I am happily running 4.2.2 with my One S now and it is much better. I know its not as flawless as getting the new Nexus 4.... but I dont have the money nor the upgrade to get one.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Ryandroid, what is so much better?

I have two One S's on Tmo. I have had problems since day one. I get better support from the guy making French Fries and the local fast food joint than I do from Tmo. But with another year + left on my contract, I cannot afford to *hitcan two phones.

I tried asking this question over at XDA and got noobed off the forum.

Does Rooting and running a 4.2 kernel solve the actual issues on this phone (wi/fi issues, reboots and general piss poor functionality)

I have been waiting for Tmo to come out with JB hoping that will solve some of the problems, but I think I would have better luck asking the french fry guy to go light on the salt.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The thing is with the One S, I would want to root it and put a ROM with Sense Jellybean rather than Stock Jelly Bean, but that's just me. My bro has the One S and I keep telling him be patient for the update but I figure I'll probably just put a sense JB ROM on it for him. He's too use to Sense at this point, don't think he even likes the look of Stock. But hey, he's an average consume..doesn't care much for that stuff. There are One S toolkits out there for download to root and all that pretty easily for people. HTC mentioned the last crop of One phones (X, S, etc) will get upgrades to Sense 5 at some point but who knows when that'll happen.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I could care less what it looks like. I just want the thing to work like it is supposed to.

I can from web os, nothing runs as smooth as that, or does the multi tasking like Web os. But Damn, the thing should make calls and run more than a day without issues.

That's why I'm trying to determine if rooting just changes the look, or actually fixes some of the issues......... or just causes more.

ImTheDuke

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Just curious what kind of issues you guys are having. I got my One S when it came out on Tmo and it's been virtually flawless. I'm wondering now if I just got lucky with mine. I liked it so much I got one for the wife and she has had no issues either.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Wi/fi - Calling, connectivity, just wi/fi in general is sketchy at best.

Most of the time to connect OR disconnect wi/fi or Blu tooth, you have to go in and turn the wi/fi - Blu Tooth off and on.
Not a big deal, until you realize you have been on the road working for an hour and the phone hasn't rung..... only to see the phone says it is still connected to the Home network, 50 miles away (my signal kicks ass)

When at home and using Wi/Fi calling, the odds of the call actually coming through are maybe 30% and when they do, the Reverb/Feed back on the other end (not mine). Makes the call almost illegible.

Yesterday afternoon, got 5 calls, only 2 showed up on the call log.

Should I go on?

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah my brother complained about some of those issues. The other day he was stuck on 2G for some reason in our house where everyone else gets better speeds. Happens from time to time. Yeah, rooting and ROMing may fix the issues. May not too. May even add more problems, depends on the ROM you're using. Typically the popular ones are just fine (CM, AOKP, etc). It's worth a shot.

jhowle9475

May 7, 2011
Visit site
My one s had mad WiFi issues with the WiFi calling. The latest update made it worse. The idea behind the One series was one phone for all carriers which is a good idea. The problem was that each one was different which negated what HTC was trying to do. To be completely honest, I think the One S was worst of the bunch. I honestly don't think it can run a new OS and that's why 7 months after being announced, this phone still has not received it.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Ryandroid, what is so much better?

I have two One S's on Tmo. I have had problems since day one. I get better support from the guy making French Fries and the local fast food joint than I do from Tmo. But with another year + left on my contract, I cannot afford to *hitcan two phones.

I tried asking this question over at XDA and got noobed off the forum.

Does Rooting and running a 4.2 kernel solve the actual issues on this phone (wi/fi issues, reboots and general piss poor functionality)

I have been waiting for Tmo to come out with JB hoping that will solve some of the problems, but I think I would have better luck asking the french fry guy to go light on the salt.

Rooting can solve a lot of issues... and can also create some.
But since the phone has been out for so long developers have been able to get close to perfecting the ROMs. even the Sense ROMS (viper and Trickdroid)

I only prefer Stock looks (CM, AOKP) which are pulled from the source (AOSP) which is what the Nexus 4 is running. I got tired of waiting for Google now (which is amazing btw)
but some people dont care about that. some people dont care about updates at all. But I do. I like having the latest Technology.

If you have questions about rooting... ask away. I wont say any question is stupid. I had to start from scratch too. and its hard to understand at first. But developers and Apps try to make it easier on you (flash image GUI)

I have no issues with Wifi at all. but I have noticed some Bluetooth issues (only on stock ROMs) but I dont use Bluetooth. but I hear the bluetooth is running perfect on Sense ROMs (it can differ from Rom to Rom) and if you are not receiving calls or having a terrible signal... you can always flash a new Radio (that means load a new network connection to Tmo)

Im sure its not much longer to wait for the JB update from Tmo considering AT&T just released it for the One X.
You can wait for that to see if things get better for you... if not... ask me any questions you have

edit: also Multitasking actual works now... flawlessly. its so much faster and actual remembers what i was doing in other apps... not having to reload the whole thing.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the One X just finally got Jellybean so heres hoping you guys get it on your One S pretty soon. I reckon anytime in the next couple weeks.

ImTheDuke

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
@gdraft. Sorry to hear about the problems. What sucks is that if your like me, you can't update for 14 months or so. I have to say I haven't had any of the problems except for the wifi calling thing. Not a big issue for me. WiFi has been solid and my connectivity is sketchy sometimes but thats TMobile. It's been like that for every phone I've had with them.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I've been on verizon for years. Other than having to bend over every month to pay the bill, everything ran fine there. 2 Reasons I switched to Tmo, lower bill, and wi/fi Calling. I live inside the loop in the Nati, but for some reason, Verizon, Tmo, Sprint all have trouble getting a good signal here, so wanted Wi/Fi calling when at home.

For the first 6 months, had to fight with Tmo every month on the bill, they were always adding something. Then, just to pile on, all of the issues with the phone.

Needless to say, I don't think I would re up if they gave me a phone and a free 2 year service plan.

sadgoogle

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I actually installed the HTC jelly bean rom on my phone. I changed the SID to the super CID and then unlocked the boot loader, got s off and installed the full OEM 3.16.401 rom. It runs flawlessly on my T-Mobile One S. Of course it does not have wifi calling and not set up to work on full HSPA+ but the phone sure does run much better now.