Why do I have three different storage areas? Need help!

Yvonne Meade-Barry

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I bought this phone about a month ago. Since the day I bought it I have had nearly full internal storage. I'm confused because there are three different storage areas: Internal storage, phone storage, and sd card storage. I've moved as many apps as I can to my sd card and I still have several gbs of space left. The phone storage says I've used 662mb of 4.15gb. The internal storage is at 3.72gb of 3.85gb, giving me 136mb of available space. Additional the internal storage says 0.89gb is for apps and 2.83gb is for other. I cannot figure out how to see what 'other' is. I have a tech savy son who looked at it and he's stumped. I clear my cache at least one a day if not more depending on how much I'm using it that day. What the heck is the difference between internal storage and phone storage? And how to I clear up the internal storage so I can download more?
Oh I've also connected my phone to my pc to delete old files that got transferred over from my old phone and that didn't do anything to my storage issue.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Memory partitioning on older Android devices can be confusing. See this guide for more info: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roid-memory-how-deal-low-memory-warnings.html. My guess is that your Internal Storage is actually the Application Storage, where apps are installed. The Phone Storage is probably the "Internal SD Card," which is actually part of the onboard storage ROM, used to save media files, and also available to move portions of apps to. The SD Card is probably the external SD card.

The 2.83 GB of "Other" on the Internal Storage might be what the OS takes up.

BB_Bmore

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
If you root you can use apps such as link 2 SD to move internal storage apps to external. This is what I did and storage is no longer an issue.

Posted From a smart device.

Susie Que02

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I am told that the problem cannot be fixed at 3 different Tech Dept. Boost, HTC and Walmart. What can I do? I already totally rebooted my phone, and LOST everything, only to have3 it back the same way again! I have a 16 gig SD card! Why can't I send apps to it? It is locked out! Only photos, contacts and vids can go there.SO FRUSTRATING! I've spent hours and hours trying to resolve this! Only suggestion from all sources is to buy a new phone! After this one was $250 only 6 months ago!!! Help!
P.S. I tried Link 2 SD Plus and it says it could not obtain root access... :(

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz