HTC One won't get 4g

Annalise Hicks23

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
I have had this phone for a week and it won't get 4g every once in awhile it will but it. Freezes up and I have to turn it off and back on can anyone please help me ???

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! To be clear, you have an HTC One VX, correct? Because that's the forum you posted in, but your thread title only says HTC One.

It would help to know what wireless provider you use. Are you sure they provide good 4G coverage where you are? Just because they advertise 4G coverage doesn't mean that everyone can get it consistently. Compare with other people you know who have the same service. There are websites like Rootmetrics.com and Sensorly.com that will show you what reception is like for your area, but they mostly report reception for the big wireless companies, not necessarily for smaller or regional ones.

Is reception poor everywhere, or are you mostly inside a building, especially underground? That can block signal as well.

If you know that 4G reception is good in your area, then it certainly could be your phone. You might have to try a factory data reset, which would wipe the phone clean, making you start from scratch. You'd want to make sure all of your data is backed up beforehand. It's pretty easy to set your phone back up the way you had it before, but it does take a little time, since all of your apps need to reinstall. Here are instructions for a factory reset: Perform a Master Reset with the HTC One VX (PM36100)- AT&T Wireless Support 

Annalise Hicks23

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks I have tried that before and it still won't everyone else gets 4g here some eve get 4g lte mine will get it every once in a while but will freeze up or get really hot and I turn it off and turn it back on and it goes back to edge service.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, kind of sounds like a hardware problem, then. Antennae or radios on phones can have problems, sometimes straight out of the box. If the phone is still under warranty, you may want to contact HTC. Otherwise, you could try bringing it to a cellphone repair shop, or think about upgrading to a new phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I didn't realize it's a used phone. All bets are off then--it's always difficult to know for sure if the previous owner was having problems or not, and perhaps that's part of the reason why she parted with the phone. Unless, of course, it's a person you know and trust. I'm not familiar with H2O Wireless, but I doubt the carrier would have anything to do with it.