[HOW TO] Install ClockworkMod (Recovery) on HTC One X!

thedroidfanatic

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I have compiled a simple and comprehensive guide on how to install ClockworkMod recovery on the international One X, granted your bootloader is unlocked.

(This may also work on the AT&T and/or Rogers One XL, but I haven't tried it)

So considering your bootloader is unlocked, and you have a custom recovery, along with fastboot files on your computer (used when unlocking bootloader) proceed with these steps:

1) Download the latest version of ClockworkMod (5.8.4.0) from here:

http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.4.0-endeavoru.img

2) Copy it to the folder on your computer with the fastboot files you have.

3) Press and hold the volume down and power button on your One X, don't worry if it takes a screenshot, keel the buttons pressed, till you are taken to the hboot screen (white screen with some text near the top).

3) Use the volume buttons to navigate and highlight 'fastboot' from the list. Press the volume button to select it.

4) Connect your phone to the computer, your phone should now say 'Fastboot USB.'

5) Open the folder on your computer with the CWM recovery file and fastboot files.

6) Press shift, and right click. Select 'Open Command Window Here' from the list.

7) In the command prompt window, type in:

fastboot erase cache

Press enter.

Then type in:

fastboot flash recovery recovery file name.img

Press Enter.

Then:

fastboot erase cache

Press enter.

Then simply reboot your phone, you now have a custom recovery on your phone, which you can use to wipe cache, data, your sdcard, install custom ROMs, and lots more! To boot into recovery, go to the hboot screen again, and select 'recovery.'
Done with this? Want to root your One X in less than 5 minutes? Check out my guide:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=191587

Lastly, enjoy, and do let me know If it works for you, ask me any question in this thread and I will do my best to reply to it ASAP, also, do HIT THANKS! :D

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

KranK3r

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I have unlocked my bootloader and I followed your directions. Everything in the command prompt seemed fine, but when I choose recovery, I get the following result:

1) screen blacks for a second and then I see the usual HTC logo but under it it says:
"This build is for development purposes only Do not distribute outside of HTC without HTCs written permission Failure to comply may result in legal action"

2)after maybe 10 seconds on that screen, it blacks again, and then boots into the OS as per normal, never allowing me into CWM.

I have done this many times and im completely lost....any ideas?

thedroidfanatic

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I have unlocked my bootloader and I followed your directions. Everything in the command prompt seemed fine, but when I choose recovery, I get the following result:

1) screen blacks for a second and then I see the usual HTC logo but under it it says:
"This build is for development purposes only Do not distribute outside of HTC without HTCs written permission Failure to comply may result in legal action"

2)after maybe 10 seconds on that screen, it blacks again, and then boots into the OS as per normal, never allowing me into CWM.

I have done this many times and im completely lost....any ideas?

That's weird :S Are you sure it says 'UNLOCKED' in the boot loader? And try 'fastboot erase cache' ;)

iamjaay

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
how can i root my HTC One X+, anyone please help, i have unlocked the bootloader, but clockwork doesnt load, the screen just goes black?????

-------------------------------------
Start your job search

thedroidfanatic

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
how can i root my HTC One X+, anyone please help, i have unlocked the bootloader, but clockwork doesnt load, the screen just goes black?????

-------------------------------------
Start your job search

This is for the One X (EndeavorU) I do not know whether it will work with the One X+ or not, try fastboot erase cache

KranK3r

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
i used erase cache both before and after the flash just as per your instructions....and yes, the bootloader says "tampered" and "unlocked" at the top

thedroidfanatic

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
i used erase cache both before and after the flash just as per your instructions....and yes, the bootloader says "tampered" and "unlocked" at the top

Go to clockworkmod.com, go to the ROM Manager tab, and check if there is any recovery specifically for the AT&T One X (Evita) maybe this one I posted is just for the EndeavorU

Magicman08

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I tried this and it simply got stuck at the "for developmental purposes only screen" first try in flashing twrp 2.3.1.0 and it worked perfectly. so be careful

*edit and yes i tried both official versions

atomic_squid

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I've managed to change the CID and got the unlock token, but I'm having trouble with the dev tools the HTC site says u need. Where should I go for help with that, because right now, my phone is in a kind of limbo.

erethangbagel

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
So I'm having the same issue where it just gets stuck on the "development use only" screen. My AT&T One X is unlocked, but not rooted. Before I put TWRP on there do I have to do something to remove Clockwork? And I thought I saw that root is required to use TWRP. Is this true? Help is appreciated, I am very new to this.

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
So I'm having the same issue where it just gets stuck on the "development use only" screen. My AT&T One X is unlocked, but not rooted. Before I put TWRP on there do I have to do something to remove Clockwork? And I thought I saw that root is required to use TWRP. Is this true? Help is appreciated, I am very new to this.

Anyone using the AT&T one x(L) should NEVER use CWM.. It is not designed for our phone. Use TWRP--- [TOOL] HTC One X (Evita) All-In-One Toolkit V1.1 [10-28-12] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof] - xda-developers

Use this toolkit, follow directions closely and you should be good

ukksh21

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I NEED HELP!!!! I flashed Clean Rom to my One X and it got stuck in a boot loop, so I finally figured out how to get to my recovery and I was going to wipe, and restore it and when I went to restore I have nothing!!! So I went to install zip and I also have nothing! So how can I download the rom that was on it which was jellybam, and reinstall it???? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton