Thinking About Rooting...

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys; I am sort of new with the HTC One X. I want to root it however I want to know there is an easy way for me to remove the root and return to stock as it was with the Galaxy S2; hopefully this can be done so I can start rooting. Thanks!

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
[INDEX] AT&T/ROGERS One X Resources Compilation Roll-Up (Updated 12/19/12) - xda-developers

Do some reading here. The All in One Toolkit is what you should use, it's "noob proof" haha, and I believe you can relock the bootloader with it easily, after restoring the stock ruu. (Make a back up of your stock rom before flashing ANYTHING in TWRP, then make a copy of that back up on your PC by dragging and dropping through the computer--just in case)

thanks; i was checking that page out earlier; how do i make a backup of my stock rom if i have to be rooted to install TWRP?

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
thanks; what is the best rom in your opinion?

Nocturnal'd Dirty Rom for a cm10 rom, if you flash the dirty gapps that are on that same page, you'll have 4.2 elements: photosphere, etc.

For a sense rom, ViperXL is THEE best... I'm getting almost 18hrs out of my battery with 4hrs screen on time: tons of tweaks in the rom

Both roms are super smooth, I keep flashing back and forth haha

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, same method, do a back up of your current rom, make sure you have the ViperXL rom.zip on your sd card, factory reset, then reboot to bootloader>fastboot flash boot.img of viper, reboot to recovery and install the rom via TWRP.... This rom uses Aroma installer, just follow it and customize as you would like then let it install. First boot takes a while, but should be all gravy

note: if you download flash GUI app from the play store, you won't need to fastboot/contect to PC to flash roms anymore... Just flash the rom.zip from this app AFTER you make a backup of current rom, then it'll ask you to select a reboot option, select reboot to recovery, then install in TWRP. This is how I've done it for a while now... If you ever get yourself in a bind, you can always go back to connecting to PC to fix it

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
So I need to know the adb commands to do this? I know with the SII you could hold a volume key either up or down while powering on the phone to access recovery via CWM. I just want to be prepared for this.

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
You can use the all in one toolkit to fastboot it for you, just put the boot.img in the data/kernel folder of it, then select "flash with this command" in the bottom left of the toolkit... Right after its done, cmd will show "press any key to continue"... Once you hit it, hold volume down or use the toolkit to send the command to the phone to reboot to recovery (bottom middle I believe of the toolkit)... Which ever way you want

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
No prob... I know that most people over in the xda threads don't like answering "simple" questions, usually why I come here to help people out

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
For viper I would go with elemental, go to venom hub and install it that way.. Keep the radios the same (I always do)

For dirty rom I'd leave the stock kernel.. Runs the best

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
HELP; i did all the steps but now i cant boot into recovery to install superuser; from the toolkit i selected boot into recovery and my phone just sat there and rebooted to the phone and not to recovery

UPDATE - never mind i figured it out!

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I see me spending almost as much time with ROMs as I did with my Palm Pre. I was customizing the heck out of themes and adding tons of mods. There are still things I miss about that phone. Touchstone the most and then delete email from notification

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
can you please give me a dumb down version on how to install it? i asked on XDA and they blew my mind and mentioned hboot; like really simple steps like boot into TWRP; make a backup; etc or direct me to a youtube video; thanks!