Thinking About Rooting...

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Which rom? ViperXL? Viper 2.41 or viper 3.0?

Edit: if you are already in the rom, hold power down til your power menu shows up, select reboot>then reboot to recovery (if you are in any rom other than viper 3.0)

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
and is there a reason that my home page changes every reboot? usually its the screen with my clock and such but since root its the screen to the right of it and every reboot it adds another page to my home screen; very annoying

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Only the power menu is different--- if you don't have the power menu option to reboot to recovery, just select reboot, and hold volume down button until you get to your bootloader, then use the volume keys to go up and down on the menu> select recovery, and press the power button once you have "recovery" selected in bootloader... From there it will allow you into TWRP, go to backup, rename the backup whatever you want, back it up, then reboot..

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
and is there a reason that my home page changes every reboot? usually its the screen with my clock and such but since root its the screen to the right of it and every reboot it adds another page to my home screen; very annoying

Sounds like you may need a fresh install
Could be something weird in the system... Make sure you have your rom.zip on your sd card, open Flash GUI app and select that rom, flash it>reboot to recovery>wipe>factory reset, then back out to the main TWRP menu and reinstall the rom... Sometimes a fresh install fixes weird things like that

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh... Hmm, that's odd. As soon as I rooted, I flashed a different rom... I'd say flash viper.. I'm on 3.0 JB and I love it, no tweaks at all/stock... Much better battery life as well.

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
ok ill do that; still confused on how to do this; you have been really helpful so far and i appreciate it; im going to make a back up of my current system now via twrp; can you tell me how to install 3.0 please

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
After you make the back up, reboot. Once booted up, download flash GUI app if you haven't already.

Open flash GUI select the rom.zip, let the app load it to a temp directory (it'll have a dialog saying 30-45 seconds) it may take a little longer, just be patient. Once it is done doing that, hit the flash button at the bottom of screen. After it is done flashing it, select the middle option of the pop up > "reboot to recovery"

Once in recovery select "Wipe" then factory reset, once that is done DO NOT REBOOT, back out to main screen of TWRP, select "Install" then select viper 3.0, and start the install.... Viper uses Aroma installer, which is excellent... When going through the installer select Wipe even though you already did this in TWRP, and select the default stuff; North America, etc... Don't delete any sense stuff and it should be all good... First boot will take some time, don't worry, it'll boot... If not just do these steps over again.

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
After you make the back up, reboot. Once booted up, download flash GUI app if you haven't already.

Open flash GUI select the rom.zip, let the app load it to a temp directory (it'll have a dialog saying 30-45 seconds) it may take a little longer, just be patient. Once it is done doing that, hit the flash button at the bottom of screen. After it is done flashing it, select the middle option of the pop up > "reboot to recovery"

Once in recovery select "Wipe" then factory reset, once that is done DO NOT REBOOT, back out to main screen of TWRP, select "Install" then select viper 3.0, and start the install.... Viper uses Aroma installer, which is excellent... When going through the installer select Wipe even though you already did this in TWRP, and select the default stuff; North America, etc... Don't delete any sense stuff and it should be all good... First boot will take some time, don't worry, it'll boot... If not just do these steps over again.

when i make a back up do i select only the defaults or check recovery, cache and/or .android_secure?

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
i really want to load it up; but would rather wait for the tweaks to be included because with my luck i'd load it up today and 4.1 would be released tomorrow with the tweaks and id have to set my phone up again with all the apps and stuff

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
No one is even testing 3.1 yet for ViperXL. Which means it could be a couple weeks, or maybe a couple days depending on if everything is working right away and testing starts soon. I don't blame ya for waiting.

I just flashed back to dirty rom, ViperXL 3.0 is awesome but I'm a flashaholic haha

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Turge will almost certainly either wait for the ATT release to build from, or will start all over once he gets his hands on it. I don't see him investing too much time into an Asian leak for our phone once the real deal drops. And further, even though Turge does the updates nicely (like usual), if he does build from a new base, that will probably be full wipe time. Just guessing of course. The only issue I have had so far is the Navigation crash problem, which might very well be the phone wanting to start things out in Asia and getting confused.

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the navigation problem.. Maybe a fresh install would fix it? As far as waiting for the att release, it's the same exact source so that wouldn't matter. He is trying to get people to test his next update right now.

Ya, the next update will def be a full wipe

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
a couple of questions please; first i get about a day and a half out of a single charge; do you think 2.4 will be the same? i keep reading the 3.0 has improved battery life; but not sure what that really means since each user is different. do you use an app to back up all of your apps/data such as titanium back up or do you recommend something else to restore all your apps? lastly; does the sdcard folder always remain on your phone; even after a wipe or is that data lost as well? thanks!