atomic_squid

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm still relatively noobish at all this stuff. What is the function of a kernel, and what are the advantages of flashing a custom one?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm still relatively noobish at all this stuff. What is the function of a kernel, and what are the advantages of flashing a custom one?

this is not accurate description but i find it the easiest comparison to make to people unfamiliar with what it exactly is. i usually tell people a Kernal is like a Device driver in windows.
It allows the device software to communicate with the device hardware.
Flashing custom kernal has many advantages. Some allow you to over or unclock your devices processor or Over/under Volt your devices power consumption. Some simply allow custom boot animation. Some are designed for smoothness others for longer battery life. My advice is to find the kernal you are interested in and ask what it was designed for .

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Also, make sure you don't flash Sense kernels with AOSP kernels or vice versa..they are not compatible...whatever rom you run, just look on the op of the rom thread, that should give you a good idea with what's best for that rom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL