What's this phone missing?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The Amaze had an awesome design and build. They could've used a lighter, thinner version of that for the One X...

BTW I just saw several sample videos of the One X. So far, it is quite awful. The videos are super blurry when in motion, and has the same lurid colors and oversharpened, flat, squeaky cleaned of noise and detail, cartoony look. What's worse is they were making some progress with the audio recording on the HTC Vivid. Everything before it was absolutely horrible. Now it has returned to its former horrible state. Don't quote me "stereo recording". It could have 7.1 surround sound recording and still sound extremely awful.

Neither the One X or One S were running final software at MWC, so it is unfair to judge any quality of anything based on the experience there.

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Neither the One X or One S were running final software at MWC, so it is unfair to judge any quality of anything based on the experience there.

Yeah I read that line so many times from reviewers and bloggers, "It's not final software so..." Every single time, from Samsung to HTC to Motorola, if they have sample photos and video from non-shady sources, 99% of the time, that's IT and no drastic changes will be made. The final product is gonna look like that. The rest is just wishful thinking. Every single phone I've read up on, dating all the way back to when Sony-Ericsson and Samsung and Nokia were duking it out with their candy bar and slider phones, fighting amongst their 3.2mp and 5mp cameras, the whole "not final software" never held water. It still doesn't.

I want to make it clear I'm referring specifically to photos and video. The OS speed and benchmarks and buggy features and all that are all up in the air.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I read that line so many times from reviewers and bloggers, "It's not final software so..." Every single time, from Samsung to HTC to Motorola, if they have sample photos and video from non-shady sources, 99% of the time, that's IT and no drastic changes will be made. The final product is gonna look like that. The rest is just wishful thinking. Every single phone I've read up on, dating all the way back to when Sony-Ericsson and Samsung and Nokia were duking it out with their candy bar and slider phones, fighting amongst their 3.2mp and 5mp cameras, the whole "not final software" never held water. It still doesn't.

I want to make it clear I'm referring specifically to photos and video. The OS speed and benchmarks and buggy features and all that are all up in the air.

Except in this case it is true. HTC released pictures taken with the one x, and the quality is vastly different than what we saw on the show floor. And it isn't due to special lighting or a studio environment.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

SeanNYC76

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The non removable battery for me is a plus...just means a tighter, better put together phone...zero creaks! No SD card? No problem, I'm hooked on Drop box after owning a Galaxy Nexus!

My only Gripe.... No Amoled technology! Other then that, phone looks like a very slick sexy device.

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Except in this case it is true. HTC released pictures taken with the one x, and the quality is vastly different than what we saw on the show floor. And it isn't due to special lighting or a studio environment.

OMG don't tell me you are comparing cherry picked, heavily doctored and perfectly shot photos straight from the PR department of a phonemaker, to real world show floor photos in a crappy indoor setting and no tripod?!!
Please don't tell me you actually believe in marketing ploys???

Nokia does this the most. They release these awesome looking heavily doctored official photos whose veracity cannot be determined and possibly required a lot of man hours and an entire team to make the perfect setup. Go and compare the Lumia 800 / N9 real world photos with the *cough* official shots. That camera has been lambasted for its very weak performance, a black eye for Nokia. Of course, Nokia thinks the camera is perrrfect.

It's like blindly believing when so and so says their GPU is 10x faster than the competition and gives you these questionable benchmark numbers. "Officially" of course. :p

That's why we have critics and reviewers. :)

I'd like to re-emphasize the point. rEaLLy??? :p

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
OMG don't tell me you are comparing cherry picked, heavily doctored and perfectly shot photos straight from the PR department of a phonemaker, to real world show floor photos in a crappy indoor setting and no tripod?!!
Please don't tell me you actually believe in marketing ploys???

Nokia does this the most. They release these awesome looking heavily doctored official photos whose veracity cannot be determined and possibly required a lot of man hours and an entire team to make the perfect setup. Go and compare the Lumia 800 / N9 real world photos with the *cough* official shots. That camera has been lambasted for its very weak performance, a black eye for Nokia. Of course, Nokia thinks the camera is perrrfect.

It's like blindly believing when so and so says their GPU is 10x faster than the competition and gives you these questionable benchmark numbers. "Officially" of course. :p

That's why we have critics and reviewers. :)

I'd like to re-emphasize the point. rEaLLy??? :p

More like: your opinion in this post and others is irrelevant because we know the software is not final, and we know that it WILL affect the final image quality. Just because you want to on the camera quality before its even released doesn't give you the right to.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Back on track....

It's a cell phone. If the camera is at least better than HTC's previous cameras it's a win. That would make it subjectively better than a lot of other smartphone cameras.

More to the point...it's not missing a camera. :cool:

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I still look at these cameras as toys. Tiny little lens, they do okay in daylight (see these comparison shots I did last week with my pro-am Fuji E900), but for anything challenging like night work, I don't expect much from them. I think the marketing of these smartphone cams as "the best camera most people own" is equal parts snake oil, salesmanship, and blowing sunshine up our patooties. I'll take it seriously when a phone's camera can take a ultra low light, long exposure shot like this.

20111009-4522_oceanblkdlc_nightlume_800.jpg

20111009-4571_oceanblkdlc_nightlume_800.jpg

Pics taken in ultra low light, 2-5 second exposures, the only lighting provided the glare from an iPod a few feet away. Camera is 9MP.

Until then, I think they're like those little 110 Pocket Instamatics that Kodak sold. Small, light, easy to take along, took "just okay" pictures as long as you didn't blow them up to too big a print.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I still look at these cameras as toys. Tiny little lens, they do okay in daylight (see these comparison shots I did last week with my pro-am Fuji E900), but for anything challenging like night work, I don't expect much from them. I think the marketing of these smartphone cams as "the best camera most people own" is equal parts snake oil, salesmanship, and blowing sunshine up our patooties. I'll take it seriously when a phone's camera can take a ultra low light, long exposure shot like this.

20111009-4522_oceanblkdlc_nightlume_800.jpg

20111009-4571_oceanblkdlc_nightlume_800.jpg

Pics taken in ultra low light, 2-5 second exposures, the only lighting provided the glare from an iPod a few feet away. Camera is 9MP.

Until then, I think they're like those little 110 Pocket Instamatics that Kodak sold. Small, light, easy to take along, took "just okay" pictures as long as you didn't blow them up to too big a print.

I don't think I've ever heard them advertised as the best camera people own. I've only heard them say that they had the best cell camera or something to that effect. Especially in this day and age, they're gearing the cameras more towards Facebook and twitter posting than anything else. I mean, most people use their cell phone cameras for that and not actually printing pictures. (I know me personally, I haven't had a picture actually printed in at least four years)

If anything, they're aiming them to replace point and shoot cameras. And for that, these new generation cell cameras certainly hold their own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I've ever heard them advertised as the best camera people own. I've only heard them say that they had the best cell camera or something to that effect. Especially in this day and age, they're gearing the cameras more towards Facebook and twitter posting than anything else. I mean, most people use their cell phone cameras for that and not actually printing pictures. (I know me personally, I haven't had a picture actually printed in at least four years)

If anything, they're aiming them to replace point and shoot cameras. And for that, these new generation cell cameras certainly hold their own.

The maker of that iPad you posted from has. ;) Tim Cook's intro of the iPhone 4S included such a statement. And though, No, you can't attribute that to HTC, HTC's hyping of their camera is clearly a shot into the middecks of Apple over the smartphone with the bestest camera ever.

You lost me with the social networks ... you don't need an 8MP camera for Twitter posts. 8MP is the sensor size commensurate with 4x6 prints. Of course, it also allows you to crop a photo down and still have sufficient resolution for print or web sharing. I think the phone cameras are aimed at consumers who want to take great pics for multiple applications, and leave their separate camera at home. Take it to Disneyland, snap all day, then enjoy the pics at home on the TV, or send to Grandma, or post to Flickr/Picasa/etc.

With the wireless HDMI link (one of the One's biggest attractions IMHO), clarity and quality of camera IS important, if you're going to be sharing those photos on a 50" HDTV. Most phone reviews I've seen show a phone's camera results with full-size, ginormous pics.

Not trying to argue for the sake of arguing, but I think when HTC touts the camera as the prime appeal of the model, then it's fair to scrutinize the quality of that feature. Mine seems about as good as a $99 Flip camera.

BTW, the pics I posted are from a Fuji E900, which is a mid-level point and shoot. :D My HTC's camera doesn't come near it.

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Oh great, another debate about how useless a cellphone camera is. It's so useless in fact, that the Flip cameras have been killed off because they couldn't compete, and dying camera companies like Olympus can't get by without talking smack about Nokia's PureView cameraphone at MWC, because ya know, the whole point-and-shoot category is becoming extinct. When you can put a DSLR in your pocket and instantly snap photos with it whenever, whereever, then there'll be a valid basis for argument. Getting the shot is far more important than a perfect picture, and to MOST people, camera phones are doing just fine quality-wise.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
What is missing ?

On screen buttons
An international Hspa+ version WITH the Krait
And a Lapdock/Padfone thing

I don't consider on screen buttons as a missing "feature". I kinda like having hard buttons, because it gives me the entire screen to display phone stuff.

I would rather have the Tegra 3 personally, but LTE is more important to me. It's a fair trade IMHO.

A lapdock would be really cool.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't consider on screen buttons as a missing "feature". I kinda like having hard buttons, because it gives me the entire screen to display phone stuff.
Agreed. JUST ... so long as there's no light bleedover on the screen. If THAT's missing, it's a good thing!
I would rather have the Tegra 3 personally, but LTE is more important to me. It's a fair trade IMHO.

A lapdock would be really cool.
I understand that the current Tegra3 has no LTE radio built-in but the next will. For a user on an LTE network, then, doesn't the Snapdragon S4 model make more sense? At least, until a phone with a comparable Tegra is released....

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. JUST ... so long as there's no light bleedover on the screen. If THAT's missing, it's a good thing!

I understand that the current Tegra3 has no LTE radio built-in but the next will. For a user on an LTE network, then, doesn't the Snapdragon S4 model make more sense? At least, until a phone with a comparable Tegra is released....

Yes. For now it makes more sense. AT&T clearly wants good battery life with the next gen LTE devices. They could've put the Tegra 3 with a separate LTE chip in it, but battery life would suffer. I'm sure network testing was done, and the benefits of the integrated LTE radio must've been deemed worth it to have to market a separate device from what HTC will be marketing worldwide.

When the Tegra 3 with icera integrated modem comes out we'll probably have seen the new Exynos and hopefully more about the OMAP 5, too. For the phones that we're pretty sure are coming out this summer the One X is still in the top 3, at least.

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion this phone is only missing one thing - a release date.

+1 However, you're forgetting the second thing that is missing. On and off contract pricing. Which we should get in a few weeks. Hopefully, before it is released internationally on April 5th.

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk

DannyAves

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
A bad ass phone that they completely ruined by eliminating the removable battery and SD card. Nexus One had a unibody and had a removable battery and so should the X. No way in heck I'm going to depend on one internal battery. How many times have you gotten good battery life one day and then terrible the next? Or how many times have you bought two standard batteries only to find one lasts longer than the other even though they are the same OEM battery from HTC? I want control over the battery. Period.

I'm totallly bummed. This is a freaky nice phone if it had removable battery and SD card support. These phone makers always seem to find a way to screw up what could have been a perfect device.

I completely agree.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci