Unlocked Galaxy Nexus AT&T vs. One X AT&T

shadestalker

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I would love to get a phone on AT&T that has stock or close to stock android and a 720p screen that is no bigger than 4.3, preferably 4.0.

The first phone that comes to mind based on this is the Nexus S. You don't get 4G or 720p, but the rest is right on the money. Speaking of money, you can get one off-contract for the same price as a new superphone on-contract.

Slightly OT, beware third party ROMs that don't / can't include proper drivers for the hardware. Things like battery life, stability, etc. can be disastrously bad depending on the quality of the drivers that ROM chefs / developers wedge in there. CM7 on my Captivate was really nice, but on stock Gingerbread my battery life is days longer. I'm not here to run down third party ROMs, I'm just saying don't base your hardware buying decision on the magic bullet of a nice ROM that "fixes" the phone.

Reactions: danan

danan

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I've been thinking of just getting a nexus s so that I have something nice and then when something comes out that is a clear decision I can go with that.
I know someone selling a new one, in the box still with the plastic for $280.
Otherwise I could get a Gnex for about $530.
Which seems like a better deal?

dblake15

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe no one brought up that the one x still has capacitive buttons. Seriously?!? Now having the gnex i could never have a phone with those buttons on it again. The gnex is the best phone I have owned.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I can't believe no one brought up that the one x still has capacitive buttons. Seriously?!? Now having the gnex i could never have a phone with those buttons on it again. The gnex is the best phone I have owned.

Surprisingly, that didn't bother me much. So long as they're in the right place and are in the right order (as in the same as on the GNex), no worries here.

danan

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
well the Gnex is available on negrielectronics for 460. Its a docomo version meaning it has a small mark on the back saying docomo and is new and they provide warranty version. Supposed to be the same in every other way.

danan

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

I doubt it really matters in the end, as Phil seems to think, as long as its done right.

But I must say, it would be nicer if they were able to shorten the phone and put the button on screen. Makes more sense to me.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I doubt it really matters in the end, as Phil seems to think, as long as its done right.

But I must say, it would be nicer if they were able to shorten the phone and put the button on screen. Makes more sense to me.

And lose some screen realestate in the process? "Well then make the screen bigger." "Then the phone stays the same size." I'm ok with a true 720P that I get to use every pixel of all the time and have capacitive buttons.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

For many(if not most) that is actually a plus. I am glad I was able to get a phone with them in case manufacturers stop using them.

I see no advantage to the soft touch buttons or whatever you call them on a phone. On a tablet I would much rather have them, but on a phone they are nothing more than annoying.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah. I screwed up the angle a little here (the lighting was horrible!), but you get the idea ...

htc-one-x-3.jpg

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
You should also consider the unlocked GSM One X. It has the more battery friendly, but still very fast, HSPA+. It has 32 gb of memory instead of 16 and its running a quad core processor (which may or may not mean anything to you).

I would not buy the ATT version.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You should also consider the unlocked GSM One X. It has the more battery friendly, but still very fast, HSPA+. It has 32 gb of memory instead of 16 and its running a quad core processor (which may or may not mean anything to you).

I would not buy the ATT version.

Why would you no buy the att version? Just curious.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Why would you no buy the att version? Just curious.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

I'm sure the ATT X is going to be a great phone. For me, I would rather take the better battery that comes with HSPA+ and 16gb of storage is not enough. So I will go unlocked.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure the ATT X is going to be a great phone. For me, I would rather take the better battery that comes with HSPA+ and 16gb of storage is not enough. So I will go unlocked.

I definitely understand about the storage, but battery life is a complete unknown. If LTE has a toggle to turn it off you might actually get better battery life with the S4. Qualcomm has been known for some pretty energy efficient chips lately.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I definitely understand about the storage, but battery life is a complete unknown. If LTE has a toggle to turn it off you might actually get better battery life with the S4. Qualcomm has been known for some pretty energy efficient chips lately.

Yes, we will have to wait for the actual phone to make a final determination about battery life. I willl be surprised if the LTE version gets enough battery life. Heck, 1850 mah isnt that much. I am even concerned that the HSPA+ wont get sufficient battery life either. Regardless, 16 gb is a deal breaker for me. That's why I wont buy the G Nexus, the Lumia 900 or the X.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance