Why do you hate Sense?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
HTC Sense up to 4.0 has always been most intense UIs for a device. Those visually for me the most appealing. It's performance on devices tends to lack. I have had multiple UI crashes with HTC Sense some due to pandora and some seemly for no apparent reason at all. UI at times has become unresponsive and force closed many apps. Lastly HTC Sense with all that has syncing in background and animations tend be worst UI IMO for battery life.

I have run many roms since my G1 days and I have to stay I am used to my HTC Sense experience as a whole and find more things I like about than hate. However with HTC Sense 4.0 I understand and want the much need changes to HTC Sense 4.0.(By changes removing a lot of unnecessary animations and adding on top of already intuitive features in ICS)

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
You're basing your opinion on previous sense versions.
You haven't used a sense 4.0 phone running ics so you really have no valid opinion other than old news that everybody knew about previous sense versions. Yes they were horrible but can we move on, this is the one x forum.

Go play with one and you'll be pleasantly surprised how much improved it is.

Sense 4.0 is only marginally better. Its still incoherent, still messy, and still has HTC's idiocy visible everywhere. The fundamental problems with Sense have not been fixed in 4.0.

AndroidBlizzard

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Sense 4.0 is only marginally better. Its still incoherent, still messy, and still has HTC's idiocy visible everywhere. The fundamental problems with Sense have not been fixed in 4.0.

?

By the looks of it sense seems wonderful

Great widget implementation, live wall papers, great camera interface, contacts are well defined, dial pad is decent, 3D transition is smooth, 5 icon ICS dock on bottom is wonderful, ring to unlock is awesome.

Planning to get an HTC phone next because of sense UI! Why do people hate sense? I find touchWiz too similar to iOS is in terms of icons and it doesn't have the wow factor that Sense has?

Am I missing the point with Sense? How is it very bloated?

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I stated in this thread and in another about what we like/done like about the Rezound. Sense Ui....

Some more things I do likeI do like:
I do like how they made it easier to disable data. This goes back to the Incredible days.
Their widgets are top notch, so much so that app developers have mimic-ed most if not all of them.
They had T9 dialing, something thats still missing in stock ICS. And was mighty happy Moto finally put it in Blur.

Just like someone mentioned earlier and I've been saying lately....these custom UIs cant be that bad. They might not be perfect....but stock ICS isnt either. The fact that stock ICS has some elements of the custom UI's says something.

That said...I prefer Blur over Sense UI on 2.3 and lower. But I dont hate it... (Blur really didnt get decent until the GB update for the Droid X1. Before that I would probably pick Sense UI) And I prefer them both over stock ICS. I realized last year or in late 2010....I never really liked stock Android. It was too plain, too boring to me. Froyo comes to the Droid 1, what do most of us do? Install a 3rd party launcher.....lol. ICS is a great deal better than stock 2.3 and lower. But vs the custom UI's....its not that big of a slam dunk.

I've owned a phone with sense and hate is a pretty strong word! It is a different experience from stock, but that doesn't make it bad. I loved some of the widgets available, some of the best around. My only complaints with sense were the overall size and sometimes lag it caused with the phone. The contact storage on the phone dialer was really the only thing I " hated" about sense. It just wasn't easy to look up and store contacts. Android stock was really simple in this aspect and probably should have been left alone. I think most will either like or "hate" it, but it does everyone a disservice to not give an explanation as to why..I've noticed this a lot with gnex owners, yet they will brag about running a custom ROM that is basically some developer's skinned product..makes a ton sense! :confused:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Great point about how stock Android fans hate the UI's so much...and yet praise custom ROMs...

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
?

By the looks of it sense seems wonderful

Great widget implementation, live wall papers, great camera interface, contacts are well defined, dial pad is decent, 3D transition is smooth, 5 icon ICS dock on bottom is wonderful, ring to unlock is awesome.

Planning to get an HTC phone next because of sense UI! Why do people hate sense? I find touchWiz too similar to iOS is in terms of icons and it doesn't have the wow factor that Sense has?

Am I missing the point with Sense? How is it very bloated?

Because HTC added and replaced things that were perfectly good in stock ICS. Nothing, with the exception of the camera interface, is better on sense than it is on stock ICS.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Because HTC added and replaced things that were perfectly good in stock ICS. Nothing, with the exception of the camera interface, is better on sense than it is on stock ICS.

So T9 dialing isnt a good thing? That makes it way easier for dialing a number.

The HTC widgets? Alot easier to disable data? Even to save some battery life?

There are some good things about Sense UI....Sense UI isnt as bad as some ppl make it....just like Blur isnt as bad as some ppl make it. Have no experience with Touchwiz....but at least Samsung added the tilit to swipe, zoom features to Touchwiz that were not part of stock Android. No other manufacture expect LG used it that I can remember. I dont remember if it was in stock Android...

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
So T9 dialing isnt a good thing? That makes it way easier to call someone.

The HTC widgets? Alot easier to disable data? Even to save some battery life?

Never use T9, and the sense widgets are too big and ugly.

I can just as easily disable data on my phone using third party widgets or shortcuts to the settings, without the 'benefit' of the rest of sense.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Never use T9, and the sense widgets are too big and ugly.

I can just as easily disable data on my phone using third party widgets or shortcuts to the settings, without the 'benefit' of the rest of sense.

I see....

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

You said Sense UI doesnt add anything worthwhile except for the camera interface....then say you can disable data with 3rd party widgets... or shortcuts to settings. So Sense UI must add something nice if you can get 3rd party widgets to do the same thing. T9 dialing is the same thing...3rd party apps can do it...buts its in Sense UI.

Looking at my Rezound...the power control widgets thats part of stock Android...I dont like how they are all stuck together. I like how Sense lets me put what widget I want on the screen. Same for Blur.

I agree one doesnt need the entire UI for one or 2 features...but they do add some things to the Android experience that stock Android didnt, or make it better.

jaredlyvers

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Like or dislike is obviously of personal taste. Do I like the Sense interface? No, not any more. Did I use to like the Sense interface? When it first came out yes I did. The explanation is rather simple. When Sense first came out there was a need to show what Android could look like because at the time I believe Google was very much involved in developing a solid OS and less involved in making it look pretty. They spent most of their time on functionality and not the look and feel so to speak. So at first there was a need for it.

It quickly became obvious that this was going to be a problem as we started to see more custom UI's from each of the vendors all the while Google was making strides to clean up the AOSP UI. We only needed to look at our past mistakes in the Linux community to understand why this was a growing problem.
Forking of the OS!
I am in no shape or form an Apple person but I can see where they have done the right thing. Yes, I know they control the hardware and software but they didn't allow AT&T to dump unwanted software on each phone. It was sold as is and the UI while having updates to it has not been controlled by anyone other then Apple. What has this allowed them to do? Well for starters they have kept even the older phones up-to-date for several years, even some past what you would think a person would keep a phone. This makes it easy for them to grab the market by the balls so to speak because people like to know when they buy a phone they are going to be getting the newest updates as they roll off the line.

This is where a custom UI by a vendor hurts the Android community. We see Google launch a new version of the Android OS and most have come to the conclusion that they may never see that update on their phone. This is in large part due to the update process of the Custom UI coupled with the vendors/carriers wanting to sell new phone. Why send out an update to an older phone when you can just get a person to buy into a new contract and a new phone. This overall is hurting the community and in turn the market share will eventually show a drop if this Forking doesn't stop.

The above is just one of the reasons I no longer like or want to buy a phone that locks me into the Sense interface. Don't get me wrong, I am all about choice hell that's why I have been a Linux user since 94. That being said, the choice is being made for you unless you want to root and rom your phone ( which I have ) but even then because of closed drivers/modules you are hard pressed sometimes to get a phone that has everything working.

The time for a pre-installed custom UI by the vendor has run its course. It is at the end or it's life cycle and should be set aside. If the vendor would like to further development then by all means do so and put it on the market for all to freely choose when they would like to install/remove said UI.

Short of that I would have to lean toward speed and battery usage. In my tinkering I installed MIUI on my EVO3D CDMA and although I didn't like the iOS feel I have to say my phone ran much faster/smoother then when I had the stock OS installed. MIUI reminded me of the Enlightenment Desktop in Linux. Very polished but it's not for everyone. After trying a half dozen roms and even using a script to strip out the Sense interface I never once ran one that was NOT faster then the stock version.

Reactions: ten91aditya

grayin

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I had an Evo Shift for a few weeks with Sense on it (obviously). I set up my work exchange / outlook email to push to the phone. The sense email app is not the same as the stock android email app. We get a lot of digitally signed emails from government people and the sense email app would not display these. It just displayed a nice note telling me to view the email in a desktop PC email app. I returned the phone and got a Nexus S 4g with stock gingerbread and solved the problem. Other than that I just thought Sense was different. It did seem to crash a lot though. I wonder if sense 4 has fixed this issue (the email issue)?

Last edited:

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Coming from Touchwiz, I love sense 4

Just fix the live wallpaper bug & fix the home screen jerky lag when changing screens & it would be the best ICS experience out-there!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

ihtc

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Sense 4 is good except HTC still didn't fix the bug with gallery. With google apps accounts I can not see my picasa web albums. I tried with 3 different google accounts only an @gmail account worked properly. Annoying :(

mandarmahajan1996

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
HTC has just crapped over the beautiful ICS. You CAN'T even tell you're running Android when on Sense 4. I mean it's just so "uncustomizable". On the other hand, the stock android is so rich and elegant. The future is about clean, square-cut design. Not glossy, toy-like ! I just wish that I could remove Sense 4 and use stock Android..

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
One of the first comments you get in regards to an HTC phone these days is something like "Ah, it's a Sense phone. I'll pass." Or "I hate Sense."

That's a cop-out. It's OK to not like Sense, but I wanna know *what* you don't like. Just a blanket "Sense sucks" doesn't tell me anything.

So, with the understanding that most people haven't used Sense 4 yet, what is it you don't like? Be specific.

I personally love sense. I chose the One X over the S3 because of it. I think they have the best contacts app and integration with social networks of any of the Android skins. I also love the Picasa integration and the new Dropbox integration (right down to the settings menu telling you how much space you have available in your Dropbox account).

That's why, when I buy an HTC phone, I never consider using a custom ROM. I don't get where all the hate comes from. It's one of the cleaner, better-looking skins for Android, in my opinion. And it has a lot of nice little touches that you just don't get with stock Android and can't really be duplicated with custom launchers and apps.

Reactions: nokia4life

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I personally love sense. I chose the One X over the S3 because of it. I think they have the best contacts app and integration with social networks of any of the Android skins. I also love the Picasa integration and the new Dropbox integration (right down to the settings menu telling you how much space you have available in your Dropbox account).

That's why, when I buy an HTC phone, I never consider using a custom ROM. I don't get where all the hate comes from. It's one of the cleaner, better-looking skins for Android, in my opinion. And it has a lot of nice little touches that you just don't get with stock Android and can't really be duplicated with custom launchers and apps.

I agree with every point in this post I buy HTC for their experience and twist if I wanted pure android I would get a nexus device and seeing that I have the gnex. All of these folks complaining use custom roms but have a problem with sense. If som dev created it folks would be raving.
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

H50

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I see....

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

You said Sense UI doesnt add anything worthwhile except for the camera interface....then say you can disable data with 3rd party widgets... or shortcuts to settings. So Sense UI must add something nice if you can get 3rd party widgets to do the same thing. T9 dialing is the same thing...3rd party apps can do it...buts its in Sense UI.

Looking at my Rezound...the power control widgets thats part of stock Android...I dont like how they are all stuck together. I like how Sense lets me put what widget I want on the screen. Same for Blur.

I agree one doesnt need the entire UI for one or 2 features...but they do add some things to the Android experience that stock Android didnt, or make it better.

There's a bit of a difference in product philosophy. ICS is a platform where sense is a monolithic application. I usually prefer modular designs. I picked one x because touch wiz looked bloated.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Ummm.. Did I miss something here? The name of this thread is "Why do you HATE Sense?" and yet most of the replies seem to be from people that don't hate it..

As someone deliberating over which device and UI to select, all I'm seeing here are comments that share the reasons for staying with an HTC device. When you go to Samsung forums, you get plenty of people posting threads about why they hate it. Lately it appears the design of Sense 4.0 has turned off many who bought the One X due to how they engineered the multi-tasking. Frankly it's really hard to get a 'sense' (no pun intended) of just how good the One X is especially when there are many issues being reported. I only wish the Nexus was available at ATT since it runs vanilla Android..

My two sense :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos