Why do you hate Sense?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
One of the first comments you get in regards to an HTC phone these days is something like "Ah, it's a Sense phone. I'll pass." Or "I hate Sense."

That's a cop-out. It's OK to not like Sense, but I wanna know *what* you don't like. Just a blanket "Sense sucks" doesn't tell me anything.

So, with the understanding that most people haven't used Sense 4 yet, what is it you don't like? Be specific.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The lag and battery drain, particularly when you want to have the weather animations on. Of course this was on an Incredible, so times change, but it seemed--at least then--very clunky.

It looked very nice and polished though. A bit intrusive? Mainly. But I couldn't justify it when it seems like it slowed the phone down to a crawl at times. Sure, I could have just removed the widget or taken off animations (possible?), but I wouldn't have discovered rooting/flashing if I did that ;).

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I DON'T! I love Sense. I really liked it when they started using it on the old WinMo phones. It was new and fresh back then and they make it a little better and a little lighter with every new iteration. I do like the pure Google experience, especially in ICS, but I find myself looking for apps so I can have a lot of the things Sense does on it's own. I just like Sense and the way it integrates into things seamlessly.

I also just realized this post is the exact opposite of what you were looking for. You're welcome.

calvin35

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
One of the first comments you get in regards to an HTC phone these days is something like "Ah, it's a Sense phone. I'll pass." Or "I hate Sense."

That's a cop-out. It's OK to not like Sense, but I wanna know *what* you don't like. Just a blanket "Sense sucks" doesn't tell me anything.

So, with the understanding that most people haven't used Sense 4 yet, what is it you don't like? Be specific.

I used to hate Sense and never used it. However, since the ics update on my vivid I absolutely love it. Sense 3.6 is butter smooth and a great improvement. I can't wait to try Sense 4.0.

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I've always thought Sense added much needed, logical features that stock Android lacked. Google is closing the gap well, but I still like Sense, and can't wait to get my hands on 4.0. Might switch to AT&T for the One X. Never thought anything would take me from Verizon. But their failure to get on board with the One series speaks worlds about their strategies.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
With Sense 4, it no longer makes an sense to hate it :)

Although I wish Sense made all the apps removable, and used a bit more ICS design - they still have too many rounded corners and gradients in the UI, ICS is all about a flat look.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
bloat, lag, redraw, redundant, extraneous, superfluous, unnecessary, resource hog, inconsistent, impure, mixed, ungenuine, mishmash look, ugly tray, pointless, adds no value, delays updates.

do you hear me Chou???????????????

Reactions: terthii

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My first experience with it was with my wife's og evo. Of course they deliver it with every possible widget up and running and it was a huge drain on the battery.

It wasn't until I got my EVO and put Go Launcher on that I realized the battery drain from sense. Even though I was using Go, two of the top battery draining apps were Sense widgets. So, once I deleted all the widgets from Sense, my battery started lasting longer.

My wife still uses sense, and when I deleted all her bloated widgets her battery life proved too.

That being said, I can't wait for Sprint to release its ONE X phone and trying Sense 4.0.

TheBigFerret

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
bloat, lag, redraw, redundant, extraneous, superfluous, unnecessary, resource hog, inconsistent, impure, mixed, ungenuine, mishmash look, ugly tray, pointless, adds no value, delays updates.

I agree and will add crashing and restarting.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I do NOT hate Sense. It works very well on the Rezound.

I do wish it had more screen transition options, and I miss the wallpaper images that move when I swipe the screen. Aside from that, it works with little fuss - exactly what I want in a business phone.

I appreciate not needing to buy 20 apps / widgets to get the features that Sense offers.

Whiners will always whine. Haters will always hate. And, geeks will always take a side in the blogosphere's fabricated brand wars.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

crazy_skier

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site

If you read Phil's review on sense 4.0 it sounds like all of that is gone and not noticeable, so is mostly a "happier" ICS theme in the colors. I understand the original sense was bloated, but when have you last tried it. Especially with how powerful new phones are, they are just as powerful as laptops you could buy 5 years ago.

I think sense is now great. I had 2.1 on my incredible 2, and now run a 3.0 ROM and love it. Works well, and things look "nicer" than the "pure" google experience.

Mr.Froyo

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site

Gekko, please be quite, you are seriously approaching troll territory, and no, he doesn't hear you. You're a troll. Sense 4.0 isn't bloat, it adds great features to some of the stock apps. It no longer lags, redraw = gone. Not redundant... not sure how it ever was. Superfluous? For the better. Unnecessary, yet adds great features to things like the browser, contacts, and music apps. Resource hog, not as much any more. inconsistent, I'll give you the downloads app, that's it. Impure, mixed. eh. ungenuine?Not even a word, mixmash look? Ugly Tray? Uh no, it's actually pretty good. No value? A lot of people say it does. Delay updates? Well they were the fastest to give ICS besides Samsung, heck the Vivid got it before the NS4G.

Sense to me is better than stock ICS, and it's why I'll pick up the AT&T version in May when I can upgrade.

jephf

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have never liked the limited Sense launcher. I want my four shortcuts AND app drawer. I wasn't happy just using ADW or another launcher on my EVO because the sense widgets were lost. At that point Sense wasn't offering me enough to keep me away from CyanogenMod. Sense 4.0 certainly solves those complaints. I really like what I've seen and am hoping that the HTC/Sprint announcement keeps up with all of this One X teasing.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
My biggest issues with my thunderbolt. First was the lag in switching home screens. Second was the extra useless battery drain. I don't social network that much that I need constant updates. Third was all the extra apps I couldn't uninstall. I wanted rid of them not for the space, but I hated seeing them in drawer. Maybe sense 4 addresses these issues, but I'll probably just stick to asop. In my opinion though HTC still makes the most durable phones out there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I really like sense for the polish and functionality it gives. Contact integration and other features are second to none and some functions like multi person conversations in messaging are added that stock android does not do.

However it is not all gum drops. It is a resource hog and if you use a bunch of the widgets(that are second to none) you could see lower battery live. The issue right now is it is dated. It has need a refresh for too long. 3.6 and 4.0 address this however. 4.0 seem like it will be amazing.

I have tried many of the other market launchers and none of them are as smooth as sense. I like the options they have, which is one thing sense lacks, but they all lag in my experience and I don't get my awesome clock. I find that while I used them I just kept trying to make them like sense.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

Let this serve as an example of a bad answer.

Reactions: abhijit1289

anon(150857)

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I didn't like on my Incredible how Sense tried to bypass some basic functions Google already does well. I'm referring to mainly the people and calendar apps. Why not just give us those stock apps?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670