One X official battery thread.

xonex

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Done my first overnight charge and ran it all day as normal.
Screen seems to be the battery hog right now but its more using what's app that is causing the screen to be on.

Do you guys think the LCD screens aren't as efficient as the amoled screens?

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey thanks for posting this, hopefully you can continue after a few days of use just to see how things progress??

I assume this is the quad-core version we are looking at? I know Phil Nickinson posted the same screen capture and had a longer time showing on the battery and the screen was less than 50% if I recall. Of course that may all change after a few charging cycles

xonex

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I'll update after a few charge cycles to try to understand why the display eats the juice.
I have my brightness at the absolute minimum but it still soaks 50 odd %.
At automatic screen brightness on the first day was taking 67%.

As you can see by the stats, all else seems stable on the battery sapping side.
Do you guys think maybe the LCD is less energy efficient than the amoled displays?

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes. I'll update after a few charge cycles to try to understand why the display eats the juice.
I have my brightness at the absolute minimum but it still soaks 50 odd %.
At automatic screen brightness on the first day was taking 67%.

As you can see by the stats, all else seems stable on the battery sapping side.
Do you guys think maybe the LCD is less energy efficient than the amoled displays?

What is the screen timeout set for?

And I would assume, just based on general technology, that the AMOLED would be a little more energy efficient than the SLCD, but as the tech gets better I think that difference gets less.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
??? It's a big display with a lot of pixels. Pretty much on par with what I'm seeing.

Pro tip: Don't do a Google Hangout on 3G. It's murder on the battery. :p

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
??? It's a big display with a lot of pixels. Pretty much on par with what I'm seeing.

Pro tip: Don't do a Google Hangout on 3G. It's murder on the battery. :p

Google Hangout? How about an EVO hangout? Get in there and get us the skinny! Break in if you have to, we'll all post your bail if you get caught. Really we will. We can use the NFC we all have built in to... wait. Nevermind.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Thats not bad stats for a android and the battery is just breaking in, i would like to see the battery after a month.

It's not as good as Phil's review device. But I would also like to see some updates over the next few weeks. And I'm wondering if he's already conditioned the battery or if this was just charge and go.

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Thats not bad stats for a android and the battery is just breaking in, i would like to see the battery after a month.

That is exactly what I was thinking, if you can get between 12-14 hours under normal/heavy use this is better than most androids on the market.

As long as I can get a full day under normal use I am happy...for me that is in the 15 hour range.

onthezone

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
It's not as good as Phil's review device. But I would also like to see some updates over the next few weeks. And I'm wondering if he's already conditioned the battery or if this was just charge and go.

From what it sounds like to me, he just got the phone yesterday and did his first full charge.

Reactions: BigDinCA

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
SAMOLED is typically not as efficient as LCD on battery. But it's easier to manage how much battery SAMOLED uses, because if you use a lot of black themes or things with black as the background then those pixels never light up, so they don't use battery. So all things being equal LCD should be more efficient, but you can coax SAMOLED into being somewhat battery sipping.

onthezone

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
SAMOLED is typically not as efficient as LCD on battery. But it's easier to manage how much battery SAMOLED uses, because if you use a lot of black themes or things with black as the background then those pixels never light up, so they don't use battery. So all things being equal LCD should be more efficient, but you can coax SAMOLED into being somewhat battery sipping.

From what i head the original amoled was a battery save screen, but the new super amoled is just the same as a led screen with battery life. I think thats why the nokia lumia 900 has the original amoled display.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
From what i head the original amoled was a battery save screen, but the new super amoled is just the same as a led screen with battery life. I think thats why the nokia lumia 900 has the original amoled display.

The AMOLED is a power saver whenever blacks are displayed because the pixels are just turned off. Each pixel illuminates when needed. That's why they look so damn good. All LCD screens are backlit, meaning the power consumption is constant. In order to get the blacks, the filter the backlight out for those specific pixels but can't shut it off. That's why the blacks aren't as deep on an LCD screen.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
That is exactly what I was thinking, if you can get between 12-14 hours under normal/heavy use this is better than most androids on the market.

As long as I can get a full day under normal use I am happy...for me that is in the 15 hour range.

And hopefully those of us on Sprint will get a bigger battery! (One hour to go until we find out for sure...)

gurraj singh

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Took mine off charge earlier this morning at 1030. WiFi on all day. Connected at home & at work.

Used the phone navigation to work (just to test it) journey was about 25mins.

At work, light use: couple of short 1/2min calls, whatsapp, drawsomething.

Used the phone for music in the car on the way home, again about 25mins.

At about 7pm, I got battery low (14% I think it said) warning.

Right now 7:30pm, this is what my battery usage shows.
jKy6KD7T

XVPETWIv

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital