Just got a One X in USA. Impressions/hands-on

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I just got the One X, thanks for the help on the language!

Anyway. A video will come shortly but here are my initial impressions:

This thing is LIGHT. I'm coming from a Galaxy Nexus and then iPhone 4S. The HTC One X is lighter than both of those.
The build quality is much better than the Nexus. It's solid. There's no creaking or blemishes anywhere on the device.
Sense 4 is much more lightweight than previous versions. Either that, or the quad-core really speeds everything up.
I did not adjust any data settings on the phone and it connected to the AT&T network, though speedtest was unable to run I did download an item and loaded a webpage.
I really like the lockscreen.
You cannot uninstall 7Digital, SoundHound, Tune-In, etc. You can only disable them. A bit disappointed in that because Soundhound and TuneIn are apps I have the premium versions of.

All in all, a great first few hours getting everything setup. I'm as excited for this phone as I've been for any android phone since the EVO.

UPDATE: Here's the link to the video look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVLUhiQGJEE

Last edited:

onthezone

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Just got a One X in USA

Just got the One X in Missouri shipped from Expansys-USA. Question: What language should we select? I'm sure it doesn't really matter but there is no English US. And English UK calls it the 'Play Shop'

English uk will work.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Oh man. I didn't think I'd have phone envy, but you better believe I do.

Maybe I'll get one and put it on Cricket :p

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Oh man. I didn't think I'd have phone envy, but you better believe I do.

Maybe I'll get one and put it on Cricket :p

i'm going to post photos and my impressions here in a little bit. After I finish setting up. I tried to record a video but this dang iPhone didn't seem like it uploaded to YouTube.

Reactions: dmmarck

bcolton

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site

I'm on AT&T. Ordered from Expansys-USA and it came overnight. I chose English (Ireland) bc it shows Play Store instead of Play Shop... :)

Too funny. I'm about to pull the trigger because I want it unlocked, don't care about battery sucking LTE, and prefer the 32GB memory over 16GB. I'm American as well, but I figure at least I'll learn proper English once and for all. I'd be curious if future updates would support English USA dictionary.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Too funny. I'm about to pull the trigger because I want it unlocked, don't care about battery sucking LTE, and prefer the 32GB memory over 16GB. I'm American as well, but I figure at least I'll learn proper English once and for all. I'd be curious if future updates would support English USA dictionary.

Honestly I'm not really concerned about it. I didn't want to wait any longer either. 32gb is a plus. LTE would be nice but HSPA+ is fine for me on my phone for now.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Honestly I'm not really concerned about it. I didn't want to wait any longer either. 32gb is a plus. LTE would be nice but HSPA+ is fine for me on my phone for now.

I know the dualcore is supposed to be nice, but being able to say you have the quadcore one? Priceless.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site

Honestly, I dont get the need for LTE on a phone. I get 5-6 mbps down on my GS2 and I am never wishing for faster speeds.

Looking forward to your first impressions, especially about battery life. I am holding off from buying this because I am very concerned that 1850mah is not enough.

Reactions: Anonymous7532479

bcolton

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site

Just curious what color you received. And if you had any connectivity issues connecting to AT&T. I've had issues in the past with different APN settings and use the following from Shoman on XDA. I've read a couple of post where users changed the Fast Dormancy settings. Did you have to do this?

Settings I've had best luck with:

Name: ATT 3G SIM
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
Port: 80
Username: -
Password: -
Server: -
MMSC: -
MMS Proxy: -
MMS Port: -
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: -
APN Type: default,supl,agps, fota, dun
APN Protocol: ipv4
Name: ATT MMS
Port: -
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com/
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
Authentication Type: -
APN Type: mms
Name: ATT PHONE
APN: phone
Proxy: -
APN Type: default, supl, agps, fota, dun, hipri, internet

dsdxp

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

does the international version support AT&T's HSPA+? The specs only say HSPA..

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Just curious what color you received. And if you had any connectivity issues connecting to AT&T. I've had issues in the past with different APN settings and use the following from Shoman on XDA. I've read a couple of post where users changed the Fast Dormancy settings. Did you have to do this?

Settings I've had best luck with:

Name: ATT 3G SIM
Port: 80
Authentication type: -
APN Type: default,supl,agps, fota, dun
Name: ATT MMS
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com/
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
APN Type: mms
Name: ATT PHONE
APN: phone
Proxy: -
APN Type: default, supl, agps, fota, dun, hipri, internet

I just checked. My data is slow in my house but I didn't change anything and I was able to download a few apps and other things.

Anonymous7532479

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I dont get the need for LTE on a phone. I get 5-6 mbps down on my GS2 and I am never wishing for faster speeds.

I agree completely. I put an LTE toggle switch on my Rezound homescreen for easy access. But I found that I never turn on the LTE. For me personally, 3G is fine for what I do, and the little boost in speed with LTE isn't worth the battery drain. Besides, half the day, I'm connected to wifi.

2750 mah battery + no LTE = Charger? What's that?? :)

-mcskipp

sddfdds

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

I know the dualcore is supposed to be nice, but being able to say you have the quadcore one? Priceless.

long_car_peter_griffin.jpg

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I agree completely. I put an LTE toggle switch on my Rezound homescreen for easy access. But I found that I never turn on the LTE. For me personally, 3G is fine for what I do, and the little boost in speed with LTE isn't worth the battery drain. Besides, half the day, I'm connected to wifi.

2750 mah battery + no LTE = Charger? What's that?? :)

-mcskipp

And your on Verizon who's 3G is half of what ATT's HSPA+ is. At least half.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! Did you pick matte over white? If so, why? I'm looking at cases for GN right now and it's between the same choices lol

raam89

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
updated with video

You might want to go to an ATT store to setup your data connection/ put you in appropriate plan( Apparently, att has different names/plans internally for iphones/ non iphone smartphones. I don't know the details . But if you go to them they can set it up for you )

I am waiting for the white version to come in stock. Wondering if I might as well wait to see how the att version is !

1. What firmware version is your phone in ? In xda forums , there is a discussion about ota 1.28.xx . Have you got that ?
2. How is battery life ? some usage statistics would be also be helpful! Enjoy your one X :cool:

xonex

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Looking forward to your first impressions, especially about battery life. I am holding off from buying this because I am very concerned that 1850mah is not enough.

I think the battery is enough.
When its in sleep mode, it uses very minimal power like I have never seen in another android device.
I left it uncharged last night and found that in 7 hours it only had used 9%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool