Question About HSPA+ and AT&T

toonhead85

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I have read conflicting information on the net about how to work an unlocked HSPA+ phone work on AT&T and I kinda wanted as straight of an answer as possible. I already have AT&T service (currently using a Nexus S).

So, what do I need to do in order to be prepared for the WEDNESDAY delivery of my HTC ONE X? Can I walk into AT&T and say: "Hey, I need a MicroSIM and to upgrade my Data plan to work with HSPA+"? Or do I need not do anything and just cut my SIM card and everything will work out?

Thanks in advance,

David

bcolton

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I have read conflicting information on the net about how to work an unlocked HSPA+ phone work on AT&T and I kinda wanted as straight of an answer as possible. I already have AT&T service (currently using a Nexus S).

So, what do I need to do in order to be prepared for the WEDNESDAY delivery of my HTC ONE X? Can I walk into AT&T and say: "Hey, I need a MicroSIM and to upgrade my Data plan to work with HSPA+"? Or do I need not do anything and just cut my SIM card and everything will work out?

Thanks in advance,

David

YES - I've called AT&T several times and spoke to the people in store, and they have no issues with using an unlocked phone; however, they always state they won't provide support outside of the SIM for service.

They absolutely will switch out SIMs, I've heard them say they can charge you I think $18; however, I've NEVER once paid to switch SIMs and I've done it several times. If you do switch out for a MicroSim I would get converter on Amazon so you can fit it in a regular phone should you ever need to - that's if you don't do it yourself via a kit or scissors.

AT&T gave me the APN settings and helped me connect other unlocked phones I've used in the past; however, I've found more luck with the proper settings via forums. I think for some reason the Galaxy Note was a bit more difficult that other phones. I don't have a ONE X; however, it might have the APN settings automatically. My Galaxy Nexus, unlocked from Expansys, connected directly to AT&T once I put in the SIM and it had the appropriate settings. I've read another owner's phone automatically connected.

Reactions: toonhead85

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
My One X (international version, not LTE) arrived. Popped in the new sim that I got from ATT. It worked instantly.

In some areas it just shows 3G at the top. But in strong signal areas it shows an H in the status bar indicating an HSPA+ connection. Nothing needed changing on my Data Plan.

toonhead85

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
My One X (international version, not LTE) arrived. Popped in the new sim that I got from ATT. It worked instantly.

In some areas it just shows 3G at the top. But in strong signal areas it shows an H in the status bar indicating an HSPA+ connection. Nothing needed changing on my Data Plan.

I always thought that the H stood for HSPA, for like T-Mo's 3g or something. I would get it when using CM7 on my Nexus S which isn't a HSPA+ device and a co-worker would get an H with a T-Mo G2 (running CM7) which is also not an HSPA+ device.

I'm also kinda bummed I wont get a fancy 4g icon :'(

XxViperNYCxX

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Have you done a speed test? to see what kind of download/upload speed your getting.

paulsalem

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

Any idea what this guys is talking about:

HTC sent us the international version of the One X. Though it functions on AT&T's 3G network, it has not been optimized for AT&T's network (or any U.S. network at the moment). In my time with the device, I saw erratic network performance. It found AT&T's network everywhere I took it, but dropped the connection often. Browsing performance was inconsistent, as was the ability to place phone calls. This is likely a direct result of international version's lack of optimization for AT&T. Phone Scoop will also review the AT&T version of this device, so don't place much importance on our assessment of this internationally-banded device.
Review: HTC One X : The Three S's (Phone Scoop)

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea of what he is talking about, and have not seen any such problems. As for "optimization" I suspect he doesn't know what he is talking about. When AT&T sells a phone the only thing optimized is the bloatware and the lock-downs.

Even Jerry likes to talk about the optimization, without providing a definition. There are a few settings you can mess with in HTC GSM phones found by dialing *#*#4636#*#* (phone information) which AT&T may set differently, (but usually not to your benefit, only to theirs). WARNING: Don't mess with what you see in there unless you do a lot of research and know what you are doing.

Other than that these international GSM phones are all the same. The aren't going to be optimized for one carrier vs another.

The LTE version is a whole different ball game.

So far, my web surfing has been amazingly stable and fast.

paulsalem

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
IOther than that these international GSM phones are all the same. The aren't going to be optimized for one carrier vs another.

The LTE version is a whole different ball game.

So far, my web surfing has been amazingly stable and fast.

I'm using an international Galaxy SII on an AT&T prepaid in the US right now while I'm visiting and it works great. I had to adjust the APN settings to get the 3G to work.

paulsalem

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
What changes did you have to make for apn?
Aren't those set by your sim?

When I arrived in the US I popped in my AT&T prepaid which had value on it. The 3G did NOT work, but I was able to make voice calls. I used my laptop and did some Googling and found the APN settings, typed them in and the phone worked perfectly.

I don't know if those values are supposed to be in the SIM card or not. :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34