Removable batteries (generally speaking..)

Anonymous7532479

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey there. This question is directed more towards smartphones in general. However, I'm posting it here because the One X is the first phone that I've personally encountered that I would want to buy, but would actually consider not doing so because of it.

Non-removable batteries. Can anyone shed some light as to why some companies are actually doing this now? Is there an important reason why the manufacturers don't want the owner to be able to swap batteries in and out? I'm not being snarky or douchey in asking - I genuinely would love to know why.

I honestly can't see myself purchasing a phone with a non-removable battery. Especially an LTE phone. The only way I would consider it is if it had a huge one (3000+). I have family and friends too who simply refuse to buy phones unless you can change the battery.

Battery life is SO important to users. I feel like it's even more important to "normal" smartphone owners. I can't figure our why this is starting to show up on a lot of phones?

Love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

-mcskipp

crazy_skier

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
You can't always find an outlet to use. What happens when you're on the move all day and can't sit to let your phone charge for awhile. Plus a charger is bulkier than an extra battery

neopanther

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Xonex. I don't think you gave your response much thought. Carrying a battery/batteries around is way different than carrying around a charger. Ever been to six flags and your phone was dying? What are you going to do? Go find a plug and sit next to it two hours and wait for it to charge or would you rather pull a fully charged battery out of your bag and keep it moving? Welded-in batteries are a VERY stupid idea. It's not that difficult. I always buy extra batteries and cradle chargers. Non-removable batteries cause more problems than they are supposed to be preventing.

Reactions: taylorz_412

venious

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
If your battery can't be removed, then the manufacturer knows the phone will be out of service sooner. In the end, it means you'll be coming back sooner to replace your phone and not reselling it to someone that is in the market for a phone. Sounds great, right?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Reactions: bagarwa

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Carry a charger around?? Seriously? WOW! I also refuse to buy a cell phone that doesn't have a removable battery (as long as that option is available). Switching out a battery is painless as oposed to charging the phone. Also, pulling the battery for manual resets is a must for the MOD crowd. No non-removable battery phones for me!

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I think they do it to build obsolescence into the phone. Once the battery goes, you're forced to buy a new phone or pay dear to have the battery replaced by the manufacturer. Either way, they win, you lose.

Shotine

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I feel that is is a bad trend starting and the only way it can be reversed is by the out crying of the users. As for my self i ride a street bike so i carry a extra battery with me so i can have power when needed and will not own a phone that dose not have a interchangeable battery.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Personally I totally agree, I have always carried a spare for every phone I have ever owned and would NEVER buy a phone with a non-swappable battery.. Especially if you like the outdoors (like camping/hiking etc).. How is a non-swappable battery going to last me a week in the middle of no where with no power outlet? Last camping trip I went through four cell batteries...

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Most manufacturers are doing it now for the form factor, they can make phones thiner if they don't have to worry about users having to get to it.

And they have decided that they will sell more phones due to the thin design than they will lose because the battery is not removable.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey there. This question is directed more towards smartphones in general. However, I'm posting it here because the One X is the first phone that I've personally encountered that I would want to buy, but would actually consider not doing so because of it.

Non-removable batteries. Can anyone shed some light as to why some companies are actually doing this now? Is there an important reason why the manufacturers don't want the owner to be able to swap batteries in and out? I'm not being snarky or douchey in asking - I genuinely would love to know why.

I honestly can't see myself purchasing a phone with a non-removable battery. Especially an LTE phone. The only way I would consider it is if it had a huge one (3000+). I have family and friends too who simply refuse to buy phones unless you can change the battery.

Battery life is SO important to users. I feel like it's even more important to "normal" smartphone owners. I can't figure our why this is starting to show up on a lot of phones?

Love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

-mcskipp

Razr Maxx for the win? I get anywhere from 2 to 4 (yes, 4) days out of it with low-moderate to high-moderate use.

With that said, HTC has always had battery issues in their phones. Never been their strong suit. They're too focused on offering a phone that is amazeballs than actually realizing it's only amazeballs for 3 hours due to the teeny battery they provide.

Why do they go the non-removable route? Venious is partially correct. Once the battery goes, you either have to pay the company to replace it for you or just trash the phone after the 2 years. Less secondary markets for decent but not-new phones = more money spent on their new phones. Simple economics. The other reason might be to do with the way they battery is in the phone with everything else. Design-wise, its a possibility that the phone (like a Razr, Razr Maxx, etc) can't be built with an easily accessible battery. Thus, there's really no design choice to allow for a removable battery due to its positioning amongst other components.

xonex

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
OK, I understand what you guys are saying.
There is battery packs that hold 2 full charges, maybe a bit bigger than a phone battery but its viable option to carry.
Don't you guys use car chargers whilst driving? Or does everyone ride bicycles or ride the bus?

The thing is, I came from a gs2 and that used so much power I wouldn't get 10 hours but this quad core one x is just sipping the battery. Running out of battery is now something I don't worry about and its a nice feeling.
I'm getting 24+ hours now with the same use so hopefully needing a spare battery or charger is a thing of the past.

tt1080i

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
What happens when you need to do a battery pull because your phone is locked and and unresponsive to any buttons.
I've been there on a few phones.

And what about upgrading to a longer lasting battery

That's why I would prefer a removable battery

RonD

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
The reason they are going to non-removable batteries is because they are monocoque construction. That means the exterior skin is the structure and there is no internal frame. With the monocoque constuction there is no back cover. This gives a smaller (thinner) and lighter device. I think they are trying to do like Apple does. I don't care about the thinness, give me a thicker device with a removable battery.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
OK, I understand what you guys are saying.
There is battery packs that hold 2 full charges, maybe a bit bigger than a phone battery but its viable option to carry.
Don't you guys use car chargers whilst driving? Or does everyone ride bicycles or ride the bus?

I have two cars with USB ports that I can charge off, BUT again not everyone wants to be tied to a charger, some of us do not sit next to a charger 24/7 and as I mentioned I have gone on week long camp/hiking trips which means no electricity.. I rather pack 4 fully charged batteries and know that I have 4 FULL charges...

Guy from SU

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I have two cars with USB ports that I can charge off, BUT again not everyone wants to be tied to a charger, some of us do not sit next to a charger 24/7 and as I mentioned I have gone on week long camp/hiking trips which means no electricity.. I rather pack 4 fully charged batteries and know that I have 4 FULL charges...

Seriously? You go through 4 batteries when you're out camping in the wilderness? Try turning the phone off and enjoying nature instead of playing "Draw Something" and turn on the phone in case of emergency. :eek:

eatonjb

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I think Apple sadly started a trend, Form over Function. Yes, most cases we might not need to change a battery, but I am always fearful that I might. Now that I started doing streaming music over BT, I noticed that without a removeable battery, I would be toating around another ipod or some other MP3 player.

I do have one of thoes little chargers, but they don't work well just another device attached to your device. Pain in the BUTT!

For the love of Android, I hope this trend does not stick. Perhaps the Maxx might be the only exception for me, but I rather still ahve the option.

if they either stuffed a 5000mha battery, or a screen that does not eat battery, removeable or bust!

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Seriously? You go through 4 batteries when you're out camping in the wilderness? Try turning the phone off and enjoying nature instead of playing "Draw Something" and turn on the phone in case of emergency. :eek:

LOL I have never played any of those games and refuse to play any... I don't even have facebook on my phone.. I just like having my phone ALWAYS ON ! Especially with kids, I just feel safer knowing the phone is always on.. Oh and the occasional personal blog update with pics and video as it all happens of course lol