International One X in U.S. on Straight Talk = super cheap plan ?

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
My Wife and I are currently on Verizon, we both have the Galaxy Nexus, but the monthly bill is not cheap, w/tax is about $220 per month for both phone full unlimited plan. Looking to get into a cheaper carrier, but not just ATT or Sprint, etc...which will save a bit, but not a ton, but have heard about some no name brand carriers that are extremely cheaper, like this Straight Talk.

Some nice member here on the Android Central Forums, said he bought the international One X online for full retail price of like $600 or so, but that he has it activated on this Straight Talk plan, which is only $45 per month for unlimited minutes and unlimited data.

Has anyone here done this, and how does it work ? I mean $45 per month for full unlimited is shockingly cheap, whats the catch ? Why aren't more people in the U.S. doing this ? If it's too good to be true, usually means there is something up, what am I missing here ?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: International One X in U.S. on Straight Talk = super cheap pl

Two reasons it's cheap. One, coverage. You get no roaming at all. So make sure that you have good coverage wherever it is you're going to be.

Second, next to no customer service. You pretty much have to deal with whatever problem you have yourself. No phone support (especially since you're getting something unlocked anyway) and no billing assistance (really not a problem either).

Reasons more people don't do it? People in the US don't like to pay full retail price for phones, even though over the course of two years they'll more than make that back in savings. And people like simplicity, so walking into a store and walking out with a working phone for $200 has some value for them.

For me personally it's coming up with the money for the phones at full retail and I'm still locked into a contract on AT&T. On GSM networks like AT&T and T-Mobile it's attractive because you can just swap SIM cards if you want to change carriers, and your phone supports the correct frequencies. On CDMA carriers like Sprint and Verizon you're better off signing a contract and getting a deal on the phone since you can't switch the carrier the phone itself is used on anyway. Once you have a Sprint or Verizon phone it's locked on that carrier forever.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the reply, good info.

So please walk this newb threw this please. I buy the One X from here ? Is this the correct model I would need to work on Straight Talk ?
http://www.expansys-usa.com/htc-one-x-android-smartphone-polar-white-unlocked-229903/

For Straight Talk I am confused with which option to choose ? The "unlocked" or "ATT" compatible phone ?
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ww.straighttalk.com%2FShopSims&token=TViVHI6G
And then which SIM ? The smaller one they say for newer phones like the iPhone4, or the larger SIM ?

And then back to plans, it would be $45 unlimited for each phone ? So for a phone plan for my Wife and I would be $90 per month ?

Last question would be about roaming ? I am in Chicago, and travel the local suburbs, rarely going beyond that. So it looks like the Chicago land is well covered under Straight Talk ? But what happens if I go into a non Straight Talk area ? Does it just drop service, and no network, or does it piggy back on to a main carrier ? And if it does piggyback do I get raped on high charges ?

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Yes that's they right model. Since you are buying unlocked you can select unlocked. You can also select AT&T compatible, since it is.

Yes, you will need a microSIM, same as the iphone 4/4S.

Correct on the plan pricing.

As far as coverage, if you travel out of straight talk coverage you get nothing. Zero, zilch, nada. You just won't have service at all. One of the trade-offs of the cheap prepaid plan.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site

So the big question would be coverage for my area. I live in Chicago and according their map, it looks like whole area is blanketed in coverage, but I have no idea how accurate that truly is ? And is service 3G only ? No HSPA+ ?

alc2077

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I have been using the samsung galaxy s2 on ST for the past 5 months without a hitch, you do get HSPA+ speeds which will vary based on coverage, I was with sprint for 10yrs before switching to ST and couldn't be happier. ST hasn't come out & openly stated the data limits allowed per month even though they claim it's unlimited it really isn't. The members at howard forums seem to to think the unofficial cap is 2GB per month but I try to stay under 1GB to be on the safe side because I've heard stories of phone services being shut-off due to data abuse(subjective) and people loosing their cell phone numbers. I use the ST SIM that's compatible with the at&t network & this actually gives you access to at&t's nationwide network. While the ST service isn't perfect, I have no complaints plus my monthly cost is $45.75 for me to use any android with with capabilities :):D

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I have been using the samsung galaxy s2 on ST for the past 5 months without a hitch, you do get HSPA+ speeds which will vary based on coverage, I was with sprint for 10yrs before switching to ST and couldn't be happier. ST hasn't come out & openly stated the data limits allowed per month even though they claim it's unlimited it really isn't. The members at howard forums seem to to think the unofficial cap is 2GB per month but I try to stay under 1GB to be on the safe side because I've heard stories of phone services being shut-off due to data abuse(subjective) and people loosing their cell phone numbers. I use the ST SIM that's compatible with the at&t network & this actually gives you access to at&t's nationwide network. While the ST service isn't perfect, I have no complaints plus my monthly cost is $45.75 for me to use any android with with capabilities :):D

+100 to this. You pay $45 a month and get talk text and data. No roaming should be no issue in a major metropolitan area. Customer service is not worth an extra $50 monthly charge. Only concern is the data caps. I keep hearing people say they will shut down your account if you go over, not throttle. I dont know if its true.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I have had straight talk on my unlocked iPhone 4S for Bout two months now and I can't complain. It is a good, second to none MVNO or what they call these subsidiary carriers of bigger companies like AT&T, Sprint, ect.

I live in Miami, Florida and I get excellent service. Straight Talk picks up only AT&T's 3G/HSPA+ frequencies (850,1900Mhz) and I know the unlocked One x uses these two frequencies. If you get straight talk (ST), you will not regret it.

There is a long thread at the macrumors site about iPhones on ST and that is how I found out. In an Android device (specially unlocked), it is much easier to change to the correct APN settings, so you will have no problem looking these up on the Internet.

There are rumors that although the data is unlimited that there is a soft cap of 2GB or 3GB, so just be careful not to do that much video streaming on HD :)

Good luck, anything PM me.

aquaj13

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site

I have real good at&t coverage in my area. Would ST be the same for me? I am sick of paying verizon $100 a month. I got off the phone this morning with ST and they said I could use any unlocked at&t or t-mobile phone. Considering the HTC one x, Note or nexus. Thanks in advance.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

If you plan to use the ATT SIM card then just buy the ATT One X. Its about $200 cheaper than the unlocked version. Rooting and ROMs will come in no time! (ATT One X is only $550 with no contract.)

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

+100 to this. You pay $45 a month and get talk text and data. No roaming should be no issue in a major metropolitan area. Customer service is not worth an extra $50 monthly charge. Only concern is the data caps. I keep hearing people say they will shut down your account if you go over, not throttle. I dont know if its true.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

good deal for some.

though I pay $60 a month with sprint after my discount, so i plan on staying with sprint, $15 more a month is worth the unlimited + more. If i didn't get the discount i would go for ST

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Did this for 2 months with my galaxy nexus, and I am now back on contract with AT&T and an HTC One x.

It is definitely a lot cheaper but there is a limit, around 150mbs a day or 2 gigs a month and they will shut you off. AT&T also seems to give priority to there data devices before those on MVNOs like straight talk. I get consistently lower ping times with the AT&T apn.

Don't get me started on the fricken calls to remind to prepay up for the next month, when the last month expires. Just not worth it for me personally, and I don't mind paying an ETF if I decide to break free later. Can always sell the device to cover it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

aquaj13

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site

i guess speeds are not that huge of a deal for me. I am a light browser and almost never down load anything from my phone, the occasional app. I use wifi a lot. I just need a solid, dependable phone that gets good coverage for voice and text. I do check Facebook a lot though and ebay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool