Worth switching to AT&T for?

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
So the One X (US) just got a release date. I've been eyeballing it since MWC, and right now it is pretty much my ideal phone, save for a minor gripe about the lack of removable battery and SD card. The SD card issue isn't too big a deal, I've got the GNex on Verizon right now which only has internal storage, which I have about 7 GB used.

Anyway, I'm pretty tired of Verizon. I love the service, it can't be beaten really. I am covered everywhere I go, with LTE in most of those places. But it's expensive. I'm paying $100 per month just for myself, which is a good chunk. So I've been looking at other carriers. Initially I thought I'd wait for the E4GLTE and switch to Sprint. But honestly Sprint coverage is just abysmal for the places I spent most of my time. It would be cheaper, but I'd be on slower data and be limited in where I'd even get coverage.

So now I'm thinking AT&T. The coverage isn't as good as Verizon, but I'd still be covered about 99% of the time. I wouldn't have LTE, at least for the time being, but I'd have HSPA+. It would probably cost about the same as Verizon, maybe a tad less. But most people I talk to are on AT&T, and I'll have rollover minutes, so I wouldn't really have to worry about overages like I do on Verizon.

If I switched, I'd have to pay an ETF at about 280. But I'd be selling my nexus and all of its accessories, hopefully to get at least 450 for it, which would cover the ETF and a chunk of the cost of getting the phone on AT&T.

So I guess I just need reassurance. I'm an HTC fan, and while I love my Nexus, I'm not too attached to it. I'd like a better camera and better display, both which the One X delivers on. I like stock ICS, but I really dig Sense. Also considering I root and ROM, hopefully there will be a decent dev community, so some form of stock should come eventually.

Is this device amazing enough to give up my beloved network, and pay about 100-200 out of pocket for?

Rabble rabble rabble.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Re: Worth switching to AT&T for?

I've been on AT&T since I got the Treo 750 (which now that I think about it is what got me into this business in the first place). The One X probably will be the first upgrade I'll use since then.

I"m bummed it "only" has 16GB of storage, too. My philosophy for buying tech is to always get a little more than you think you'll need.

The battery thing is what it is. THat's why I also just bought this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-x/167914-external-battery-charging.html

Reactions: Thatboy76

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I've been on AT&T since I got the Treo 750 (which now that I think about it is what got me into this business in the first place). The One X probably will be the first upgrade I'll use since then.

I"m bummed it "only" has 16GB of storage, too. My philosophy for buying tech is to always get a little more than you think you'll need.

The battery thing is what it is. THat's why I also just bought this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-x/167914-external-battery-charging.html

Thanks for the reply, Phil. I saw your post about the external charger. It's something I'd consider. Honestly the ability to swap out batteries is just convenience. I rarely NEED to swap out batteries; I'm around outlets enough that I can charge whenever I need to. I just currently choose not to knowing I have a spare. So I'm not too concerned with battery life. Given I won't be on LTE it will be even less of a concern.

As for storage, I mentioned I had 7 GB used on my Nexus. Decided to poke around and see what actually was using it, and I realized I had 5 GB of old nandroid backups in my clockworkmod folder. So now I have about 2 GB used. Obviously I could use more if I decided to store some music locally, which I could do without taking too much space. But I could also use less if I switched to cloud storing my photos, which I'd like to do anyway.

So the storage and battery concerns are really very minor for my use. I could easily adapt. The network switch is the only real concern. The hassle of cancelling, porting my number, etc. Also very minor in the scheme of things. Selling my Nexus, actually, is the only real concern I have. Always hard to find a buyer.

Rabble rabble rabble.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of doing the same thing..I've had it with Sprint and their slow 3G network..I don't even get WiMAX in my area so I'm not waiting until sometime next year when their LTE will probably go live here. AT&T just lit up my area with LTE and their network is a lot faster than Sprint, so I think I just made my decision..lol

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

I'm thinking of doing the same thing..I've had it with Sprint and their slow 3G network..I don't even get WiMAX in my area so I'm not waiting until sometime next year when their LTE will probably go live here. AT&T just lit up my area with LTE and their network is a lot faster than Sprint, so I think I just made my decision..lol

If there were LTE in my area it would be a no brainer for me. I'll be going from Verizon LTE to AT&T 3G/some HSPA+, which I am wary about.

For you, though, it sounds like a good call. You'll be paying more per month, probably around 20 bucks. But for a better network and a great device.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
As for Sprint vs Verizon, when it comes to the quality of a carriers coverage you always get what you pay for every time. AT& T is OK but not as good and their billing system is so fractured that I don't have any friends that really like dealing with them. Tmobile coverage is only fair but may be the best for traveling overseas. Is that One X going to better than my Max? Sure. But the system is not. For me, no hardware is worth leaving the reliability of the system because in a few short months that system will have a worthy new device of it's own. What are you going to do then. Hopp back? No thanks. Sticking with what I know works!

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Verizon has the best coverage no doubt, but anything off their LTE network is slow. I can't understand why anyone would get an IPhone with them or Sprint. Depending on where you are ATT is just as good as Verizon and it's cheaper. If you are in a market that has LTE for ATT like I am it's great. Agree with the other poster about billing being fragmented it was a pain to get my U-Verse and Wireless bill combined. However, roll over minutes unlimited calling to any mobile phone is a big plus. I have so many roll over minutes that I never worry about going over my minutes.

OP what area are you in?

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Verizon has the best coverage no doubt, but anything off their LTE network is slow. I can't understand why anyone would get an IPhone with them or Sprint. Depending on where you are ATT is just as good as Verizon and it's cheaper. If you are in a market that has LTE for ATT like I am it's great. Agree with the other poster about billing being fragmented it was a pain to get my U-Verse and Wireless bill combined. However, roll over minutes unlimited calling to any mobile phone is a big plus. I have so many roll over minutes that I never worry about going over my minutes.

OP what area are you in?

Right now I'm in Southern California (Santa Barbara, where I go to school). I graduate here in a few months and will be headed back home to Northern California where my family all has AT&T so I know it is reliable. Then near the end of the summer I'll possibly be moving to DC where I know I'll get coverage and possibly LTE.

Rabble rabble rabble.

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to be switching to AT&T in DC for this phone. I'm addicted to GMail and GChat so I'm over the iPhone, and my experience with the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon was a mess - never buying another Samsung Phone.

Worst case scenario I go back to Verizon for the iPhone 5 or next Motorola RAZR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Guru

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

ATT has terrible customer service but coverage is pretty good. Probably pretty similar to Verizon. Cost per month is going to be awfully close to the same so don't switch just due to cost. T Mobile is a cheaper alternative albeit not quite as good coverage as either big red or blue. I was about to leave ATT but due to the One X and that they have LTE in almost everywhere I travel to, I am going to stay 2 more years. If they don't have LTE in your area I would probably hold off. That is the big advantage of the US market ATT One X.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The biggest issue is capped data. I've been thinking of doing this since the one x was announced, but data is $20 more expensive for less. (That's for 5 gigs, which is about what I average) For me, even with a 15% service discount, it would still be about $10 more than Verizon, and all because of the data plan. Frankly, its not worth it, especially since I have unlimited that I would lose.

The only reason I would switch to att is if they offer a double data promotion like Verizon, or if they adjust their data plans to offer more for the same amount.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jrcbandit

May 27, 2010
Visit site

I am tempted to leave Sprint for this phone and AT&T LTE. However, I don't like the idea of capped data, but the real deal breaker is only 16GB space and no SD card..

On the other hand, I really hate Sprint data speeds - I get 1x speeds in places AT&T and Verizon get LTE... The Evo 4G LTE is one option and Houston is getting LTE this summer, but there is no guarantee that the Sprint Vision Network upgrade will cover that large of area to make Sprint useable again. If only the AT&T version was 32GB like the international One X, then it would be an easy decision. Well there is always the Galaxy SIII, but I don't really like the unnatural look of AMOLED displays all that much.

expertzero1

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I am tempted to leave Sprint for this phone and AT&T LTE. However, I don't like the idea of capped data, but the real deal breaker is only 16GB space and no SD card..

On the other hand, I really hate Sprint data speeds - I get 1x speeds in places AT&T and Verizon get LTE... The Evo 4G LTE is one option and Houston is getting LTE this summer, but there is no guarantee that the Sprint Vision Network upgrade will cover that large of area to make Sprint useable again. If only the AT&T version was 32GB like the international One X, then it would be an easy decision. Well there is always the Galaxy SIII, but I don't really like the unnatural look of AMOLED displays all that much.

Leaving sprint for att, already preordered.

40$ for 5gb of data not too bad.. Better than sprint 3g speeds under 1gb per month lol for me.... Saving 20 bucks+ a month for going to att

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

OP: AT&T was notorious for having the worst service and customer service. They are still trying to shake that reputation. They have really turned their service around. They are the only carrier who can truly compete against Verizon. Yes Verizon has the best LTE coverage but when your not on LTE your on very slow EVDO speeds. I don't understand how more people can't see this as an issue. AT&T HSPA+ speeds are pretty nice. On my iPhone 4s I get pings from 40-90 and speeds topping out at 8mbps. Then again I don't live in a city but when I was in Chicago my speeds were excellent. I can't wait to hop on their LTE network as its looking like it will be this way this summer.

I give credit to AT&T for rapidly expanding LTE. Btw, even their 3G UMTS blows EVDO out of the water. I see no point to go with Verizon in the future because their just too expensive. Sprint doesn't really count anymore do they? T-Mobile has a very speedy network but the delay of LTE is gonna hurt them.

AT&T wins hands down for me. Now if only they gave people the options to turn LTE off. :p

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
OP: AT&T was notorious for having the worst service and customer service. They are still trying to shake that reputation. They have really turned their service around. They are the only carrier who can truly compete against Verizon. Yes Verizon has the best LTE coverage but when your not on LTE your on very slow EVDO speeds. I don't understand how more people can't see this as an issue. AT&T HSPA+ speeds are pretty nice. On my iPhone 4s I get pings from 40-90 and speeds topping out at 8mbps. Then again I don't live in a city but when I was in Chicago my speeds were excellent. I can't wait to hop on their LTE network as its looking like it will be this way this summer.

I give credit to AT&T for rapidly expanding LTE. Btw, even their 3G UMTS blows EVDO out of the water. I see no point to go with Verizon in the future because their just too expensive. Sprint doesn't really count anymore do they? T-Mobile has a very speedy network but the delay of LTE is gonna hurt them.

AT&T wins hands down for me. Now if only they gave people the options to turn LTE off. :p

People don't notice the drop off to EVDO on Verizon because, more likely than not, they WON'T be dropping off because the coverage is that good. Att HAD to upgrade to hspa+ because their 3g coverage and speeds sucked

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

People don't notice the drop off to EVDO on Verizon because, more likely than not, they WON'T be dropping off because the coverage is that good. Att HAD to upgrade to hspa+ because their 3g coverage and speeds sucked

Verizon 3g speed is awful and I hate to say spotty at times, Voice good, 3g speed and reliability not so much. Their LTE network is fantastic.

My friend went from AT&T to Verizon with the new IPhone and I told him was stupid to move and you know what after 4 plus months he is ready to go. His speeds on the V network are pitiful. I almost made him cry when I ran a speed test against his phone and mine.

Also AT&T's 3g speeds have always been better then Verizon a quick google will prove that.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

People very well do notice the drop. We're talking speeds from 40-50Mbps in a good area and then possibly barely hitting 1Mbps down. Their LTE coverage footprint still can't hold a candle to their 3G EVDO coverage. While AT&T's 3G UMTS speeds weren't what they should have been they were still much faster than Verizon's 3G.

If AT&T has good coverage in your area they are the best choice to go with.

Reactions: k6tcher

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
People very well do notice the drop. We're talking speeds from 40-50Mbps in a good area and then possibly barely hitting 1Mbps down. Their LTE coverage footprint still can't hold a candle to their 3G EVDO coverage. While AT&T's 3G UMTS speeds weren't what they should have been they were still much faster than Verizon's 3G.

If AT&T has good coverage in your area they are the best choice to go with.

Did you even read the post? If they have 4g, in all likelihood they will not be dropping off to 3g unless they travel far outside the market where they live.

Oh, and in my area, a supposed att hspa+ zone, my Verizon 3g is faster than att.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Verizon 3g speed is awful and I hate to say spotty at times, Voice good, 3g speed and reliability not so much. Their LTE network is fantastic.

My friend went from AT&T to Verizon with the new IPhone and I told him was stupid to move and you know what after 4 plus months he is ready to go. His speeds on the V network are pitiful. I almost made him cry when I ran a speed test against his phone and mine.

Also AT&T's 3g speeds have always been better then Verizon a quick google will prove that.

Ha you're funny. My 3g speeds on Verizon are faster than anything I ever got on att's 3g or hspa+ "4g".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC