ATT version hands on.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I just visited a local ATT store and checked out thier demo units. Here are my thoughts:

1) Screen-The screen is every bit as impressive as its billing. Honestly, with all that I have read, I thought it would be all hype but I was wrong. Its simply stunning. The text does look like it is sitting on top of the screen. Its is by far the best feature of this phone. I walked in completely content with my GS2 and its SAMOLED screen but this had me drooling.
2) Size and build quality-Build quality was terrific. Very solid. I liked the matt finish with the glossy sides. Bottons had good travel. As far as size goes, its on the outside of what I would consider truly pocketable. Unless you play in the NBA you are going to be doing alot of the day day with two hands. I would still get it though so it wasnt a deal breaker. It was very thin. So thin, I think HTC missed a golden opportunity to take a great phone and make it into a game changing phone. A little extra thickness would have accomodated a bigger battery and allowed the camera to be flush with the back. As it stands now, I would definately get a case for this (casemate barely there is coming out soon) which would take care of the camera. I wouldnt even need a case had they made it thicker.
3) Performance-Phone was wonderfully fast. Everything I did was instant, no lag at all.
4) Camera-the speed in which it took pictures was impressive. The burst mode was really cool.

The following are a couple of points no specific to this device;

-I hate the dedicated button to the app switcher. I have no idea why Google made this a design direction. It took my a couple of seconds to figure out how to access the settings through the notification shade. I much much much prefer a button for settings and menus. When I need the app switcher, it is no issue long pressing the home button like on my GS2. This smacks as a change for the sake of change rather than making the platform more usable.
-Available space on the X was only 9.7 gb after sense and after the 2 gb dedicated to apps. For me, this is a total deal breaker and I cant buy the ATT version.

Overall, a fantastic device that will serve anyone who buys it, and can live with so little on board memory, well. I have to say though that HTC could have made the phone a little bit thicker, a little bit heaver and then burried the camera in the back and gave it battery life that set the standard rather than being just enough.

newbey123

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Awesome to here the good review. I can't wait until this comes out on the 6th so that I can pick it up. I have been sitting on my upgrade for 8 months.

jhotmann

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think the multitask button is not so useful for the android power user, but most everyday people (who probably don't know about long pressing the home button) it is probably handy to have.

Great first impressions, haven't held one yet, but I agree that a little thicker with bigger battery and no camera bump would be nice.

neoenigma

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Called around... none of the AT&T stores around here have one yet. Not even the really huge ones. Sigh. I really want to get my hands on one.

newbey123

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I called around too. No one here has one avialable! That sucks. I am still going to get it, but wanted to get some hands on time to tied me over for the next 2 weeks.

Valdeck

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
If you do not mind me asking why is it that you do not like the app switcher button? I mean I can understand how the menu button was convenient before but once a developer updates their apps (like they should be doing) there is no need for it to be a button as it will be on the screen some where.

ccw1134

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I got to play with one today as well. They had the white version. Next Friday I'll be able to check out the gray one first hand but I have to say that the white one was pretty nice looking. The car dock is pretty nice and has a very intuitive interface to it. Here's some key software info if anyone is interested:

Android Version: 4.0.3
HTC Sense version: 4.0
Software number: 1.73.502.1710RD
HTC SDK API level: 4.11
Kernel version: 3.0.8-01111-g188cf26 root@AMB009#1
Baseband vesion: 0.16.32.09.01_3_10.79.32.08L
Build number: 1.73.502.1 CL54373 release-keys
Browser version: WebKit/534.30

By the way I was at an AT&T store in Roseville, MI.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone determined what the comparable action to a battery pull will be on the HTC One X? If you MOD the phone and soft brick it how do you do a reset similar to a battery pull? I want to see the phone in person but the lack of a removable battery is probably a deal killer for me.

neoenigma

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I think... with the phone only giving you 10GB... I might have to reconsider. I'm almost PISSED off that they decided to gimp this phone SO MUCH with the storage space. The iPhone gives you the option to get 64GB... 32GB... and the LOWEST tier is 16GB. Honestly... this is 2012, and the phone is supposed to last 2 years.

Seems that every phone that has come out lately has had a few deal breaker features that make the phone completely undesirable.

I'm considering importing one and paying a mega ton for it. It's ridiculously expensive that way but I want a phone I can actually use. I just have no experience not buying a phone directly from a carrier. What do I need to do... have it shipped to me and then take it into an AT&T store?

Reactions: johnyboy803

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I checked out one of the largest stores here in Atlanta and they did have a test model out. I have to say I agree with every single point the OP made. The screen really is phenomenal. You just have to see it in person to get a full understanding of how gorgeous it is. The camera speeds didn't seem quite as fast as I've seen in videos, but it still quickly took 20 shots in a matter of seconds.

I'm not completely turned off by how little onboard storage the phone has. I'm willing to use the Dropbox feature. I actually think that will make collecting the photos a lot simpler since I should have access to the folder on my computer. I pre-ordered at Target since they're offering the exact same deal as Radio Shack (and Target is closer to where I live).

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
As far as size goes, its on the outside of what I would consider truly pocketable.

Oh come on, that is simply ridiculous.
This phone fits fine in any normal pocket. Ok, it might not fit in my grandson's pocket, but he's 11.

Fits in a standard size shirt pocket, back pocket, men's front pocket, wife's skinny purse, jacket pocket, suit inside breast pocket, anywhere.

I'm tired of the 4-inch-maximum crowd trying to make this phone (or any phone bigger than some magical 4.2 or 4.3 "deal-breaker" line out as some kind of monster big phone.

Its just not that big.

As for needing two hands, I need two hands on my old Nexus One. You simply can't do much with any touch screen one handed, other than crash your car.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone determined what the comparable action to a battery pull will be on the HTC One X? If you MOD the phone and soft brick it how do you do a reset similar to a battery pull? I want to see the phone in person but the lack of a removable battery is probably a deal killer for me.

Like any other Android. Hold Power and volume down.

You can also just hold power long enough and will put up a note saying "Continue to hold power for 3 more seconds to power down".

Look, stop worrying about this issue. I have 4 android devices that have non removable batteries, and forcing a power off has never been a problem.

nino313

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I got to play with one today as well. They had the white version. Next Friday I'll be able to check out the gray one first hand but I have to say that the white one was pretty nice looking. The car dock is pretty nice and has a very intuitive interface to it. Here's some key software info if anyone is interested:

Android Version: 4.0.3
HTC Sense version: 4.0
Software number: 1.73.502.1710RD
HTC SDK API level: 4.11
Kernel version: 3.0.8-01111-g188cf26 root@AMB009#1
Baseband vesion: 0.16.32.09.01_3_10.79.32.08L
Build number: 1.73.502.1 CL54373 release-keys
Browser version: WebKit/534.30

By the way I was at an AT&T store in Roseville, MI.

Would that happen to be the one across from wal-mart? if so, i'll be stopping by there soon

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Oh come on, that is simply ridiculous.
This phone fits fine in any normal pocket. Ok, it might not fit in my grandson's pocket, but he's 11.

Fits in a standard size shirt pocket, back pocket, men's front pocket, wife's skinny purse, jacket pocket, suit inside breast pocket, anywhere.

I'm tired of the 4-inch-maximum crowd trying to make this phone (or any phone bigger than some magical 4.2 or 4.3 "deal-breaker" line out as some kind of monster big phone.

Its just not that big.

As for needing two hands, I need two hands on my old Nexus One. You simply can't do much with any touch screen one handed, other than crash your car.

I use my EVO 3D with one hand practically the entire day, and I don't expect any trouble with the EVO 4G LTE either since I mostly grab it by one side and support it from below with like pinky and ring finger a bit... Thumb is free to roam all ovah the screen. How the heck are you guys holding phones that you need both hands to operate them? I'm 5'10", long fingers but i cant palm a basketball so i'd guess I'm average.

I'm so so glad HTC took the Sprint version to 11... Even if it hit it with the ugly stick in the process.

Question: what's the tab limit on the stock browser? Is HTC still forcing that ridiculous 4 tab limit? I guess its irrelevant with the Chrome beta on ICS but that was always one of the first things I was looking to mod after rooting HTC phones PRE-ICS. Dunno why they always insisted on gimping the stock browser.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Nice review. I think I'm over if the few that's ok with about 9gb of storage lol. I barely use 8 with my Aria now.

razholio

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm considering importing one and paying a mega ton for it. It's ridiculously expensive that way but I want a phone I can actually use. I just have no experience not buying a phone directly from a carrier. What do I need to do... have it shipped to me and then take it into an AT&T store?

buy a phone with high resale value on contract (the GSIII or iphone come to mind), but do not take it out of the box. sell it BNIB (brandnew in box) and use that cash to buy the model you want off contract.

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I played with one yesterday at my local store. There was very little fanfare associated with it. They had it plugged into a Beats speaker, with no signage indicating what it was. But yes, it is amazing.

The screen is unreal. So clear and crisp, it looks...almost fake. Hard to describe. Made my Nexus look silly.

The build quality is awesome. I love the soft touch polycarbonate finish, with glossy white on the edges. Really a beautiful design, sets it apart from any device I've seen before. So thin and light, much more than my Nexus, which I couldn't imagine really.

Sense 4 is nice. I've always liked Sense, and since I got my Nexus I have kind of missed it. Hoping to see some devs do some cool stuff to it.

The device is super snappy. Even with Sense it blew my Nexus out of the water in terms of responsiveness. Loading pages was so quick.

The camera is very nice. One of my biggest gripes with the Nexus is its camera. The One X creams it. The burst mode is really cool. I've got a fast moving little niece, so being able to hold down the camera button and pick the best shot gives me the best chance of catching her doing something cute.

Overall, I really can't wait for it to get to my door. It's the phone I've been waiting for. Everything to hit in the last year has been lacking in some way. For my needs, the One X is the complete package.

Rabble rabble rabble.

butters619

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Awesome to here the good review. I can't wait until this comes out on the 6th so that I can pick it up. I have been sitting on my upgrade for 8 months.

So have I. I picked up an Atrix out of contract and have been waiting to see what manufacturers would bring to the table this summer. Already pre-ordered. The 6th can't come soon enough.

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
buy a phone with high resale value on contract (the GSIII or iphone come to mind), but do not take it out of the box. sell it BNIB (brandnew in box) and use that cash to buy the model you want off contract.

That's what I did to get my Nexus One - worked like a charm. Bought an iPhone 3GS on AT&T contract and sold it for over $200 more. All proceeds went to the N1.

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site

All I did when I got my Nexus One was plug in my SIM card and fire it up. Of course that would be a problem if you don't have a microSIM so you may have to go to them to get a new one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton