Can this rival the iPhone?

neoenigma

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
You nailed it right there my friend. I've been using iPhones since the 3GS, but was ready to jump ship for the One X. SWEET phone! But... around 10gig storage? K-riste, what were they thinking? Are they purposely trying to limit their market share?

That's exactly what I was thinking. HTC had a clear winner on their hands... but they decided it was too good and had to gimp it in several ways in order to DETER people from getting it. I was sold on it until I realized the AT&T version would only have 10GB of usable storage.

Apple knows what people want. HTC thinks people want THINNER phones more than bigger batteries. I mean what kind of f**ked up survey did they run in order to get those results? It's obviously something they concocted in order to build cheaper phones that people don't actually want.

The next iPhone is right around the corner too. If anything, it will offer even MORE storage space than previous iphones... rather than going backwards like HTC is doing.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
China aren't necessarily new users. They just haven't got the 4S yet. Or the new ipad. So when those finally make it to China they will see another surge in sales.

BodegaBay

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
...With that in mind, for me, it isn't a question of whether the One X rivals the iPhone, it is now a question if Apple can make a comeback with the iPhone 5.

Excellent points and well put post, Taft!

The One X will be my Android device as well and I don't forsee myself returning to O/S's with simpler UI such as iOS or WP. From my initial experience with the One X, the iPhone 5 will need to have a flawless industrial design with matching display and overhaul of iOS (read: a lot more customization) to win me back.

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Iphone has been taken down tech n spec wise for a long time now. Weather people wanna believe that or not IMO...

sent from a Android device :)
I'm always on!

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not trolling or anything and don't want to upset our fellow iPhone lovers, but I was thinking, can this Android actually rival the iPhone 4s? It seems all these Android phones are popular for a month and then just die off. Perfect examples are: Samsung SkyRocket, HTC Vivid, HTC Rezound, Moto Razr, and the Galaxy Nexus. Those phones all drew tons of attention prior to release, just like before the iPhone 4S was announced, yet, in April 2012 I get the gist of, ah who cares about those phones, and yet the iPhone 4S is still the most popular phone and selling off the charts. WHY? Yes, I have one and like it but why are they selling so many?

Let's be real here: The iPhone 4S lacks a "normal" screen, 4G LTE, a speedy processor, 1GB of ram, full customization, and limited PRICY apps. So why are people still buying it in droves in April, a good 7 months after release??? I don't see people buying the Galaxy S II (non-LTE versions) for AT&T and T-Mobile or Sprint as much as this thing is selling? Why are people buying a 3G only device on Verizon and Sprint in April 2012?

Ugh I just don't get it. Some people prefer the iPhone and never even used Android or Windows phones. I just don't get it. I know it won't but I hope the HTC One X kicks the iPhone 4S's butt along with unborn brother the iPhone 5.

All the phones u mentioned is STILL SELLING to this day and imho the iPhone is not better than my Nexus S 4G not even the camera

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I think, with the release of ICS, Android is now on par with IOS. Hardware advanatage is now tipping to Android. There is a bad trend happening with limmiting on phone storage however which is certainly concerning. As I and many others have said, this is an important selling point in the phone and hopefully Samsung will stay true to themselves and offer 16gb built in with expansion via MicroSd.

Now that Android has reached parity with IOS on the hardware and software side, this starts to become a battle of preference and ecosystems. IOS remains ahead with Itunes. Like or hate it, it has become the standard for purchasing media. I own a GS2 and where do I buy my music? Itunes. Why? I have no idea. People have become so used to their way of doing things that making the change to Android becomes a much bigger decision. They have probably invested money in IOS apps and dont want to have to start buying again.

I wonder how many new Iphone buyers purchased during the 1st quarter. I seem to remember a stat that showed alot of these purchases were upgrades. Personally, and I used an Iphone 4 and then a 4S, that IOS has become stale. The UI is played out and the functionality is just not where I would like it to be. I find android to be far more powerful for almost all purposes. Samsung set the bar last year and actually produced a phone that was better than the Iphone. The Iphone 4S did little to change this with the exception of its exellent camera. HTC has brought a camera that rivals even that. Hopefully we will see the same with the GS3 which could really put itself way out in front of anything frm Apple. The Iphone 5 will now be the most important product release in the history of Apple. If they do not up thier hardware game and the UI, I honestly think this quarter will be the peak of apple.

I don't know why u still buy from iTunes unless u still on the iPhone lol but its cheaper and even free legal ways of buying music the android way

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't know why u still buy from iTunes unless u still on the iPhone lol but its cheaper and even free legal ways of buying music the android way

I actually bought a song from the play store yesterday and I saw there is a desktop player that you can download. I am going to check into this.

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The relevant part of the article (which is stated right in under the headline) is:
"Apple's quarterly profit nearly doubled as iPhones and iPads continued to fly off shelves, putting to rest recent worries that the company can't maintain its momentum."

This is in reply to this thread where it was said that:
- Apple experiencing it's last top quarter,
- another who eluded that the 4s is a disappointment
- and another that said that apple is living off past fan boys

Their momentum is continuing to grow as explained in the article. This is partly because of China AND new US sales as reported in the past weeks by Carriers. We are nowhere near saturation in smartphone use. That's the whole point - plenty of new users for everyone including Apple.

I for one want the smartphones to get better across the board, Apples', Microsoft's, Androids and yes even RIM - tear for Palm. The whole point of this thread seems to be that Apple has to lose big in order for Android to do better. So people are imagining that Apple is losing it's shine. And if you look at the blogs, news, con. calls etc. this is clearly not happening.

And again - so what. Android is rocking it!

Maybe I am missing it, but where does the article say anything about new users? You are refering to thier international growth?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the storage is all that big of a deal. Everything can be served up via the cloud and a good connection. Unlimited data doesn't hurt. I could be okay with 10G because I use cloud services. I used google play on my iPhone for music (dirty huh!?) I think the one x looks real nice. I would be happy with it. Rarely does a plastic phone appeal to me anymore, but this one certainly does.

Marketing AND Demand, that will determine apple as the winner, it always does, but for many, the one x is much more of a good choice and that demand in the market should give HTC some success here.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I actually bought a song from the play store yesterday and I saw there is a desktop player that you can download. I am going to check into this.

Yeah u can download the desktop version on any pc and convert all your iTunes and windows media player music straight on your Android

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Based on the information here, it will need to be quite a surge to have any impact on market share in China.
http://www.androidcentral.com/android-eating-apple-china-huge-market-share

Growth is growth, even if they don't gain marketshare. The bottom line isn't dependent on market share, it's revenue and profits. :)

For example, look at marketshare in the PC market, then look at revenue and profit. Apple maintains high profit margins so that they don't need to have a huge percentage of marketshare to make money.

---------------------------------------------

People tend to forget that all these companies are in business to make money. That's it. There job is to keep shareholders happy, and the way to do that is to make money. So they will do whatever they think is best to accomplish that goal. /rant :)

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Excellent points and well put post, Taft!

The One X will be my Android device as well and I don't forsee myself returning to O/S's with simpler UI such as iOS or WP. From my initial experience with the One X, the iPhone 5 will need to have a flawless industrial design with matching display and overhaul of iOS (read: a lot more customization) to win me back.

so how do u feel on switching from windows phone and iOS to android 4? How come u didn't stay with windows phone? I've heard a lot of people say that the UI is really nice and refreshing? Did it just get boring after a while? Thanks.
Sent from my amazing galaxy nexus

Last edited:

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I for one want the smartphones to get better across the board, Apples', Microsoft's, Androids and yes even RIM - tear for Palm. The whole point of this thread seems to be that Apple has to lose big in order for Android to do better. So people are imagining that Apple is losing it's shine. And if you look at the blogs, news, con. calls etc. this is clearly not happening.

And again - so what. Android is rocking it!

Great point, and I can see how that can work the other way around. The One X is a great product, regardless of whether it helps in the big scheme of things. I think many people's heads are in that place: that Android can only succeed if and when Apple fails.