Can this rival the iPhone?

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm not trolling or anything and don't want to upset our fellow iPhone lovers, but I was thinking, can this Android actually rival the iPhone 4s? It seems all these Android phones are popular for a month and then just die off. Perfect examples are: Samsung SkyRocket, HTC Vivid, HTC Rezound, Moto Razr, and the Galaxy Nexus. Those phones all drew tons of attention prior to release, just like before the iPhone 4S was announced, yet, in April 2012 I get the gist of, ah who cares about those phones, and yet the iPhone 4S is still the most popular phone and selling off the charts. WHY? Yes, I have one and like it but why are they selling so many?

Let's be real here: The iPhone 4S lacks a "normal" screen, 4G LTE, a speedy processor, 1GB of ram, full customization, and limited PRICY apps. So why are people still buying it in droves in April, a good 7 months after release??? I don't see people buying the Galaxy S II (non-LTE versions) for AT&T and T-Mobile or Sprint as much as this thing is selling? Why are people buying a 3G only device on Verizon and Sprint in April 2012?

Ugh I just don't get it. Some people prefer the iPhone and never even used Android or Windows phones. I just don't get it. I know it won't but I hope the HTC One X kicks the iPhone 4S's butt along with unborn brother the iPhone 5.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
iSheep will always be iSheep. lol

But the real problem here is that many people dont know about the power and potential of android. They think it is just a cheap alternative to iPhones. By Google generalizing android and allowing it on so many devices it does seem more for the general population making the iPhone seem more amazing and making people think they're elite .

neoenigma

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
iPhone 4S - 64GB storage

One X - 10GB storage

To some people, that's a instant win for the iPhone and a non-starter for the One X.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
aSheep are eaten alive.....The demand of the market determines the winner, not generalized theory of what "should" be....lolz

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
The main reason being there are new android handsets being released every month, while the iPhone is the only ios phone released per year. two, "normal" screen is all relative. I have never thought the screen on my iPhone was too small for anything, and performance wise it is really fast and silky smooth, much faster than my vivid, even though the vivid has better specs. and the "overpriced" apps, I have found those to be better than the apps I am looking for on android. that's not to say there aren't good app available, just the ones I'm looking for, the iPhone ones are of higher quality.

that being said, I can't wait for the one x, its one slick phone and should be the second best seller on at&t. I also see this handset in more of an evo type device, it should still be a decent seller come Christmas time, and it should end up getting a lot of third party support for accessories and cases.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion the Samsung SkyRocket, HTC Vivid, HTC Rezound, Moto Razr, and the Galaxy Nexus all already rival the iPhone.

Not in sales, sure but that's because Android isn't exclusive. If Apple opened up to other manufacturers l then they'd likely see a drop in Apple-brand iPhones having to compete with 200$ off-contract phones running iOS.
In capabilities though, they most definitely rival the iPhone. I personally currently own a Nexus S, iPhone 4 and GNex. The iPhone outdoes the Nexus S but the GNex beats the iPhone 4.

It's a question to me of getting a high-end Android device like the ones the OP named. If you do, Android can do so much more....and more easily.
My iPhone 4 doesn't even leave the house anymore and I've demoted it to strictly being used as an alarm clock & Skype phone keeping a 15$/mos plan on it for visitors in need of a phone for a few days.

It'll definitely stay that way for me until iOS allows me to do everything my GNex can without needing to jailbreak it.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
iSheep will always be iSheep. lol

But the real problem here is that many people dont know about the power and potential of android. They think it is just a cheap alternative to iPhones. By Google generalizing android and allowing it on so many devices it does seem more for the general population making the iPhone seem more amazing and making people think they're elite .

iPhone 4S - 64GB storage

One X - 10GB storage

To some people, that's a instant win for the iPhone and a non-starter for the One X.

Definitely true. Most people don't know how powerful it can be and think its sloppy. ICS is anything but.

Now here the iSheep LOL have a good argument. HTC should let consumers choose their storage options. Why not price the 32GB version at 299? Pricey yes, but at least consumers would have the option.

And the 16GB of internal storage is still a huge deciding factor for me. Yes DropBox is there but I'd still rather have the additional storage. Perhaps AT&T will release the 32GB version later on?

taft

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I think some pretty good points have been made in this thread so far, so I will just tell you my experience after switching from the iPhone.

The One X is my first Android phone. I had been using Apple devices for the past 3 years, and things were good. iOS is a really well made operating system. It did what I asked it to do very well, and for a long time I was happy. Recently, however, I started to get bored with it. It isn't very pretty, it limits you unnecessarily, and it doesn't look to be changing drastically any time soon. Add to that the fact that the hardware it comes on only supports a 3.5" screen, and you have some problems coming up as every other manufacturer explores other screen sizes.

With the One X, the first thing you notice is how beautiful the phone is. What you don't immediately notice, however, is how quickly you forget about your old phone. For those coming from iOS, Android is actually really nice. It may not be as "flawless" as iOS, but it is smooth, powerful, and allows you to do so much more. I haven't had any concerns so far about the OS. It can be frustrating when changing from something you know so well to something different. In this case, it hasn't been too frustrating, and the learning curve is pretty quick. I'm pretty surprised, and it just leads me to believe that a lot of the Android haters don't actually know what they're talking about.

With that in mind, for me, it isn't a question of whether the One X rivals the iPhone, it is now a question if Apple can make a comeback with the iPhone 5. The iPhone will always sell huge amounts. It's a good phone, and people like to stay with what they know, but people also view it as a status device in many countries... The One X is a great phone. It may not have the status symbol of the iPhone, but through and through my experience with it has made me completely forget my iPhone. I tried to use mine yesterday, and it just looked and felt like a dated toy. I suggest you go to your local store and try one out. Hands-on use will answer your questions better than I can.

I'm a very happy One X owner, and I think you will find a lot more of us in the coming month.

Sedrick

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 4S - 64GB storage

One X - 10GB storage

You nailed it right there my friend. I've been using iPhones since the 3GS, but was ready to jump ship for the One X. SWEET phone! But... around 10gig storage? K-riste, what were they thinking? Are they purposely trying to limit their market share?

abhijit1289

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Its pretty simple really.
People who look to buy Android phones have thé option of going for 50$ budget phones and older devices which cost less while still giving good specs, hence higher end phones like thé rezound and gnex are less sought for.
Those who go thé iOS way have only one choice: thé current génération of iphone.
Also, those who buy High end phones associate Android with thé 50$ phones and consider it cheap.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I think, with the release of ICS, Android is now on par with IOS. Hardware advanatage is now tipping to Android. There is a bad trend happening with limmiting on phone storage however which is certainly concerning. As I and many others have said, this is an important selling point in the phone and hopefully Samsung will stay true to themselves and offer 16gb built in with expansion via MicroSd.

Now that Android has reached parity with IOS on the hardware and software side, this starts to become a battle of preference and ecosystems. IOS remains ahead with Itunes. Like or hate it, it has become the standard for purchasing media. I own a GS2 and where do I buy my music? Itunes. Why? I have no idea. People have become so used to their way of doing things that making the change to Android becomes a much bigger decision. They have probably invested money in IOS apps and dont want to have to start buying again.

I wonder how many new Iphone buyers purchased during the 1st quarter. I seem to remember a stat that showed alot of these purchases were upgrades. Personally, and I used an Iphone 4 and then a 4S, that IOS has become stale. The UI is played out and the functionality is just not where I would like it to be. I find android to be far more powerful for almost all purposes. Samsung set the bar last year and actually produced a phone that was better than the Iphone. The Iphone 4S did little to change this with the exception of its exellent camera. HTC has brought a camera that rivals even that. Hopefully we will see the same with the GS3 which could really put itself way out in front of anything frm Apple. The Iphone 5 will now be the most important product release in the history of Apple. If they do not up thier hardware game and the UI, I honestly think this quarter will be the peak of apple.

Sedrick

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
...The Iphone 5 will now be the most important product release in the history of Apple. If they do not up thier hardware game and the UI, I honestly think this quarter will be the peak of apple.
I agree with this 100%. Apple is living on past glory with the iPhone and is milking it and their customers for all it's worth. If it weren't for the undying loyalty of the Apple fanatics, the 4S would have (and should have) flopped.

Reactions: Lizzy-Pooh

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The only real downside of 4s is the screen size and no LTE. The 5 will take care of that. It's a real nice phone.

They are clearly not living off past glory. Their new user #s are thru the roof impressive.

The iphone is easier to use, has the best app store and is more refined. And it's easier for someone to get an iphone rather then sort out the android choices.

The tables are turning and this phone is clearly better in many ways. But apple will continue to grow and put out great stuff.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The only real downside of 4s is the screen size and no LTE. The 5 will take care of that. It's a real nice phone.

They are clearly not living off past glory. Their new user #s are thru the roof impressive.

The iphone is easier to use, has the best app store and is more refined. And it's easier for someone to get an iphone rather then sort out the android choices.

The tables are turning and this phone is clearly better in many ways. But apple will continue to grow and put out great stuff.

For Android to keep making inroads on Apple two things must happen.

1. OEM's need to build great hardware and not just slap plastic together with the best processors, more ram etc. They need to build high end iconic equipment that captures the publics attention. The One X for me meets this requirement. My Apple friends all think the One X is the best looking Android phone they have seen and they are equally blown away with the display.

2. Android needs to provide not just more options, but better options for end users using the OS. Make the experience as seamless as iOS and smooth, but give the end user the freedom to use the phone how they want to.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site

I think its more than that. No LTE for me is not a big deal. HSPA+ is certainly fast enough but I do agree the next Iphone will have it. I have also read alot, which is pure speculation, that Apple will not vear far from the 3.5 inch screen. If thats the case, it will be a horrible move by apple, which is why I think they will up the size to 4. Other than that there are stark differences between to the two OS's. Apple still does not allow for any kind of glancable interface. With the exception of thier notification center stocks and weather, nothing else is readily available for viewing. This makes the OS dependent on in and out usage to do anything. Twitter is a perfect example. I love keeping up on twitter. With the Iphone, if I got busy I would forget to check. It could be 10 hours or so between opening the app. On android, every 4 hours I get a pop up which reminds me to go and check. Weather is another great example. If there is a weather alert, I get a notification telling me about it. This is a fundamental difference between how the two OS's operate. Advantage Android.

Apple still have great softwear, it works very very well. Its nicely integrated, its smooth and its easy. But its also boring and non engaging.

Google is also flexing its muscles on the software side. Google maps, skydrive, Gmail, Voice etc are all becoming more important in people's lives. This integration in the OS is really becoming an advantage for Google.

Apple has its work cut out for them. And without Mr. Jobs I just dont know if they can do it. After reading his book, you really start to understand just how instrumental he was to the success of Apple. It can not be understated.

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I think its more than that. No LTE for me is not a big deal. HSPA+ is certainly fast enough but I do agree the next Iphone will have it. I have also read alot, which is pure speculation, that Apple will not vear far from the 3.5 inch screen. If thats the case, it will be a horrible move by apple, which is why I think they will up the size to 4. Other than that there are stark differences between to the two OS's. Apple still does not allow for any kind of glancable interface. With the exception of thier notification center stocks and weather, nothing else is readily available for viewing. This makes the OS dependent on in and out usage to do anything. Twitter is a perfect example. I love keeping up on twitter. With the Iphone, if I got busy I would forget to check. It could be 10 hours or so between opening the app. On android, every 4 hours I get a pop up which reminds me to go and check. Weather is another great example. If there is a weather alert, I get a notification telling me about it. This is a fundamental difference between how the two OS's operate. Advantage Android.

Apple still have great softwear, it works very very well. Its nicely integrated, its smooth and its easy. But its also boring and non engaging.

Google is also flexing its muscles on the software side. Google maps, skydrive, Gmail, Voice etc are all becoming more important in people's lives. This integration in the OS is really becoming an advantage for Google.

Apple has its work cut out for them. And without Mr. Jobs I just dont know if they can do it. After reading his book, you really start to understand just how instrumental he was to the success of Apple. It can not be understated.

In so many ways it's bad for Apple that Jobs is gone and I would argue the benefits of him being gone are small. However, if Apple releases a 4 inch version of the Iphone I wonder if that would have ever passed with Jobs at the helm.

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
As far as Apple's foreseeable future goes, today's WSJ article says it all:

Apple Profit Surges 94% on Strong iPhone, iPad Sales - WSJ.com

But so what. There are other great choices and the smartphone market is huge.

The rumor I heard was that they would go up to 4 which is right in the middle of what people supposedly prefer according to large PCMag survey. I personally love the bigger screen and it's the #1 reason (#2 is customization) why I'm not using my 4s right now.

But Battery life sucks on this phone compared to 4s! So maybe the smaller screen and closed, less flexible OS has at least one big advantage. Sure you can't change the battery out but I never needed to. I chew through 2-3 batteries a day and cannot forget to plug in at any possible moment. That never happened with the 4s. I never had to think about it.

They fix the battery limitations with these monsters and the google app store continues to get better and we will have great choices for a long time. Who cares how well Apple does?

As a dev. right now the IOS app store is the primary market. Android is second. There are too many devices to worry about and the path to success in the apple market is much faster. I hope in the future that it at least evens out.