Anyone care to comment on Wi-Fi?

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Seems in the few reviews I've read Wi-Fi signal strength is not all that great, and this worries me. Last year when I had the HTC Sensation it also had really bad Wi-F reception, often dropping signal when I went in certain rooms in my house.

Would really appreciate some feedback from those already using the Rogers or AT&T version of this phone. Is Wi-Fi signal strength good, bad, or somewhere in between?

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
When I get upstairs in my house, with my router in the lowest floor of my split-level home, my WiFi signal is one "bar." It still works just fine, and I don't have trouble browsing. I have no issues with WiFi dropping or disconnecting for no apparent reason. Still strong when I'm outside on my porches.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't know, many people using the Rogers version on XDA aren't posting the same results. Couple people also said they played with the AT&T version in the store and the Wi-Fi was all over the place. I am worried about this.

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't know, many people using the Rogers version on XDA aren't posting the same results. Couple people also said they played with the AT&T version in the store and the Wi-Fi was all over the place. I am worried about this.

I'm sorry, but you asked, and I told you. I'm having no issues. Our store demo has no network connection at all, it just runs off our ty WiFi network, and it's held on with no issue at all. I'll be attending the HTC launch event this week, and I'll most likely be walking out with an AT&T retail device. I'l be carrying both devices with me, and I'll be glad to post my experiences with both.

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I have not had any issues with my AT&T One X and WIFI both at home and work. At both locations I connect quickly and have not experienced any drops.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the International Tegra version, and I do have wifi problems occasionally. These are always solvable, but rather annoying.
Normally, even a weak connection is rock solid, showing no problems. (There is a setting which can cause WIFI to disconnect from weak routers. You want to unset that. Its meant for when you are on a campus and have a lot of routers to choose from. Not meant for home use.)

My wifi will drop around 11pm every night. (no clue, going to adjust my routers DHCP lease period to see if I can fix this).

When it does this, it tries to connect, and gets into a loop: Scanning, Connecting, Authenticating, Optaining an IP, Scanning, Connecting, etc... over and over forever.

Only way out is to connect to another router briefly then reconnect to mine. Sometimes I can reboot the router and get connected, sometimes not, but when I do its incontinent for all the other router users.

It never does this for a router running with no security. (So I have another router in the house running with no security other than mac address filtering just to get around this). Only happens with WPA/WPA2 security. I use the other router to connect to briefly, then back to my normal secured router and all is well.

This problem is not unique to HTC. But its pretty Android specific. Happened with the Nook for a while too, then went away with a software update.

I've checked out all these supposed fixes, and I know enough about routers and dhcp servers to know my gear is fully operational. (I worked in this industry for many years).

I called the HTC support line, but they were useless.

lotalota

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I can't seem to get my AT&T One X Wifi to connect. I don't think it's a signal strength problem as I have a strong signal and have tried close to my router. I also tried another connection at a different house and it did the same thing: Connection, Authenticating, Saved (secure with WPA). This over and over again.

I'm kind of a noob and am new to Android, and am not sure what the problem exactly is.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I can't seem to get my AT&T One X Wifi to connect. I don't think it's a signal strength problem as I have a strong signal and have tried close to my router. I also tried another connection at a different house and it did the same thing: Connection, Authenticating, Saved (secure with WPA). This over and over again.

I'm kind of a noob and am new to Android, and am not sure what the problem exactly is.

If yours is from at&t take it back immediately. The only way this gets fixed is if they start seeing a flood of returns. Mine is an import so I have to fight HTC directly.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

enduser2941

May 8, 2011
www.rsfsquad.org
While I do not have the phone mentioned here, I will say that I have had 2 phones (HTC Inspire 4G and The Samsung Galaxy Note) and I have had zero issues with AT&T via wireless. Disregard if this info is of little use for your problem.

Thanks

lotalota

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Quite honestly, I'm not sure if the problem is my phone or how I set it up. I think I'll try a few more wireless areas and see if I can successfully connect. Then perhaps (though I'll be sad to do it, and I'm having lots of fun playing with it) I'll take it back to the store.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
While I do not have the phone mentioned here, I will say that I have had 2 phones (HTC Inspire 4G and The Samsung Galaxy Note) and I have had zero issues with AT&T via wireless. Disregard if this info is of little use for your problem.

Thanks

We are talking about wifi issues here. Its a widely seen problem, not just a HTC problem.

It exhibits itself as looping while try to obtain an IP, AFTER it has already connected to the router, and authenticated. Yet the ip request never shows up in the dhcp server logs, and even assigning a static ip does not help. Its an android bug.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Just got mine set up been using it the past hour. Seems to be just as good as my gnex on WiFi honestly.

Keep us posted. Mine worked perfectly out of the box, and problems developed a few days later.

Note that in my case, simply connecting to another router for a few minutes will fix the problem, and then I can reconnect to my own router without making any changes. That pretty much proves its not a configuration issue.

lotalota

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I went to local tavern with WiFi and it worked perfectly. I wonder if it doesn't have anything to do with the security on the two routers (including my home one) that I checked today?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Worked great for the first two hours now seems like a bouncy ball. Constantly finding and losing connection. Really frustrating...

Yup, that's about par for the course. You can fix it by one or more of these techniques, and it will generally connect and stat connected from then on, until you wander out of range again. All of these presume you have the following settings in the phone. Tap Wifi connections, then tap menu (upper right corner, then tap advanced:

Keep Wifi on during Sleep = always
Best wifi performance = off
Auto disconnect = off

Things to try: (No particular order, and yes, I realize you don't always have access to the router for some of these).

• Power cycle your router.
  • Turn wifi off on the phone, give it a few minutes, then turn on again.
  • Forget the hotspot, then tap the list of auto-discovered hotspots and add its passphrase again.
  • Remove Security from your router and use mac address filtering instead.
  • Assign A static to the phone. (Contrary to what others say this is not a guaranteed fix).
  • Force your router to Channel 6 or 1.
  • Try other modes on your router: G, N, etc. I suspect most people reporting this problem have G mode routers. Post back if you are seeing this on N mode routers.
  • Connect to some other router (especially one that ends with the word GUEST in its SSID), then wait a minute, then connect back to your own router.

None of the above is guaranteed to work. Especially not the first time. I've been locked out of my own router for up to three hours, then it just decides to work again.

And you can try the static IP if you want, but don't be surprised if the problem comes back again. I've seen static IP assignments, go direct to Connecting, Authenticating, Connected, and back to Connecting again, in a real fast loop. This is because its NOT a DHCP problem, its a WIFI problem, and some how related to encryption.

Reading alogcat, and going thru some of the code listings for the TCP stack I've discovered that there is a state where the TCP stack of the router goes into "Countermeasures" state, when it suspects it might be under attack. When that happens Access points get added to a blacklist, and then this loop starts. Even AFTER you get a connection and an IP, the TCP stack seems to think you are on a blacklisted router and drops the connection.

This is really maddening.

I've seen this with G mode routers for the most part. I only have one crappy N mode router and I swore I'd never plug that piece of junk in again.

Anyone having this problem on a 802.11N router please let me know. Save me having to buy a new one to test with, or at lease I'll know what brand to avoid.

Ardrid

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Yup, that's about par for the course. You can fix it by one or more of these techniques, and it will generally connect and stat connected from then on, until you wander out of range again. All of these presume you have the following settings in the phone. Tap Wifi connections, then tap menu (upper right corner, then tap advanced:

<snip>

This is really maddening.

I've seen this with G mode routers for the most part. I only have one crappy N mode router and I swore I'd never plug that piece of junk in again.

Anyone having this problem on a 802.11N router please let me know. Save me having to buy a new one to test with, or at lease I'll know what brand to avoid.

What you're experiencing may not be a problem with your phone. I had a similar problem with my Captivate a few months back. Power cycling the router didn't help, reestablishing the SSID didn't help, changing different settings didn't help, and disabling WPA2 didn't help. What I finally figured out was that my router was holding on to the phone's IP/MAC address and instantly expiring the DHCP lease the moment I attempted to connect (without subsequently dropping the IP address), creating an infinite cycle of connect, authenticate, disconnect. I ultimately had to manually force the router to dump the connection and DHCP lease. Only then was my phone able to connect and disconnect without issue. Something you might want to check out just to be sure.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
By what method was the router "holding onto" your mac address and expiring the lease ?

You'll have to excuse my ignorance here, I've only been working with configuring routers and dhcp severs for 20 years so I'm still a little green.

In the case of static ip assignment, there is no lease, but the phone still drops the router, (not the other way around).

Ardrid

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
By what method was the router "holding onto" your mac address and expiring the lease ?

You'll have to excuse my ignorance here, I've only been working with configuring routers and dhcp severs for 20 years so I'm still a little green.

In the case of static ip assignment, there is no lease, but the phone still drops the router, (not the other way around).

Your guess is as good as mine. It was extremely baffling when I noticed it but, like I said, the router was simply refusing to drop the IP address and corresponding DHCP lease upon disconnect, preventing the phone from reestablishing a connection (in other words, the router believed the phone was still on the network even when it clearly was not). A full power cycle and reset wouldn't clear anything; I had to manually dump the connection (FIOS Actiontec MI424WR-Gen2 in case you're wondering).

I can't recall if I attempted to use a static IP, so I can't comment on that bit other than to agree with you that DHCP leases obviously don't apply in that context and something else is going on.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
In my case, dhcp is handled not by the router, (it is acting only as an access point) but rather an upstream dhcp server which gives me access to detail logs.

The problem seems to be in the phone, and I believe it has something to do with blacklist management in the wps_supplicant driver. No other devices associated with the access point experience any similar problems

For the record, I moved my AP to channel 6, locked it to G mode. This change, of course, required a router reset, which may have fixed something I was not aware of.

But I've gone 28 hours without a drop. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08