Anyone care to comment on Wi-Fi?

snovguy

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
so I picked one up this morning and problems galore

Hi all,
I succumbed and bought one of these this morning to replace an iPhone 3G.

I can't' connect to my home wifi AT ALL. It's a QWEST q1000.

On the phone, it tells me the signal quality is poor and it keeps giving messages about authenticating and then failing. This is at less that 3 ft away or 10.

None of the umpteen other devices in the house have any issues including an iPhone, galaxy nexus and galaxy tab, iPad and my laptop.

Tried resetting both router and phone without success

Anybody got any suggestions?

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Just for the sake of it, reboot the router. And then try again...

Hi all,
I succumbed and bought one of these this morning to replace an iPhone 3G.

I can't' connect to my home wifi AT ALL. It's a QWEST q1000.

On the phone, it tells me the signal quality is poor and it keeps giving messages about authenticating and then failing. This is at less that 3 ft away or 10.

None of the umpteen other devices in the house have any issues including an iPhone, galaxy nexus and galaxy tab, iPad and my laptop.

Tried resetting both router and phone without success

Anybody got any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

snovguy

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Just for the sake of it, reboot the router. And then try again...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

no Joy....

Found an odd an kludgy workaround though. I connected an older Apple airport express to one of the ethernet ports on the router and had the airport setup another network just for the phone. That appears to work.

So I'm guessing some odd chipset compatibility issue with my specific router and the phone?

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
What about resetting the network setting on the phone and trying again?

no Joy....

Found an odd an kludgy workaround though. I connected an older Apple airport express to one of the ethernet ports on the router and had the airport setup another network just for the phone. That appears to work.

So I'm guessing some odd chipset compatibility issue with my specific router and the phone?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

snovguy

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
What about resetting the network setting on the phone and trying again?

Tried that as well multiple times as well including "forget network". Even went as far as to flash the router AND reset the entire phone. Again no joy.

What's still consistent and odd is that it has no issues connecting to the airport express.

It's going back to ATT in the morning, though I may have to give up my white one since they said I got the last one

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm there is an issue with the WIFI.
It has been working fine all afternoon, then all of a sudden it starts dropping the WIFI connection...

Simply not good...

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Mine has been fine through a solid 8 hours or so of use. That includes hopping between a couple different routers and deliberately going in/out of WiFi range.

Will post again if I see any problems, but so far so good.

(The router I'm mostly using is an Airport Express)

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Just to confirm.

I left my house this morning, connected to WIFI, got to work, and my HTC One X thought that I was STILL connected to my WIFI at home. Hence I received no messages\notifications during my travel to work. I had to turn my WIFI off, and now notifications are coming through.

Clearly there is an issue...

scottymomo

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Just to confirm.

I left my house this morning, connected to WIFI, got to work, and my HTC One X thought that I was STILL connected to my WIFI at home. Hence I received no messages\notifications during my travel to work. I had to turn my WIFI off, and now notifications are coming through.

Clearly there is an issue...

Same here... won't drop wifi without me shutting it off at the moment..

Stefan.Skoutelas

Jul 2, 2011
www.facebook.com
My WiFi seems to be fine so far. Thats my only source of internet access at the moment because my data plan hasnt been provisioned yet. Kinda sucks when im out and about and i cant check the internet without wifi.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, interesting. Maybe that's why yours works okay, since there is no conflict with the carriers service...

My WiFi seems to be fine so far. Thats my only source of internet access at the moment because my data plan hasnt been provisioned yet. Kinda sucks when im out and about and i cant check the internet without wifi.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I just called HTC about this, and apparently they are aware of the issue, and a fix is due at the end of May...

Sad really. I'll turn my WIFI off for now.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Same here... won't drop wifi without me shutting it off at the moment..

Under wifi settings, there is an advanced menu item named Auto Disconnect.

Do you guys have that checked or unchecked? Mine's unchecked and I haven't seen this particular problem (yet).

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I just called HTC about this, and apparently they are aware of the issue, and a fix is due at the end of May...

Sad really. I'll turn my WIFI off for now.

Which particular issue are they aware of, Navi? There are two or three going around on this list. Did you talk to them about the looping problem while trying to connect?

snovguy

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
So I went to ATT this morning to swap my phone after posting yesterday about what I guess we are calling the "looping problem"

There was a woman there at the same time that was having the same issues also swapping out her phone.

I got my new phone and it's better but still not working well. Now it drops the connection every couple of hours instead of not getting connected at all.

I'm hoping that there really is a "fix" coming as some have posted. I really like this phone, but wifi stability is key

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I spoke with them about the WIFI not staying connected and when going from one location to another, it won't drop the current connection to this switch to carrier connection...

I didn't mention the 'looping'...

Which particular issue are they aware of, Navi? There are two or three going around on this list. Did you talk to them about the looping problem while trying to connect?

Valdeck

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I do not know if anyone in this thread has any control over the routers that you are losing connections to. If you do not then there is not much you can do but if you can change the settings on them you can change the router to only use the 2.4 frequency and you can set it to either b/g only or N only.

But there is definitely an issue that there is supposedly a fix for coming... "soon"

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, on my home router I have mixed devices (n b/g) etc. that connect. A shame really...

Here's hoping that HTC resolve this quickly.

I do not know if anyone in this thread has any control over the routers that you are losing connections to. If you do not then there is not much you can do but if you can change the settings on them you can change the router to only use the 2.4 frequency and you can set it to either b/g only or N only.

But there is definitely an issue that there is supposedly a fix for coming... "soon"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995