Is the Swype Keyboard available for the HTC One X?

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Or is it restricted to Samsung devices only? Sorry I've only ever owned one smart phone in my life and it was a Samsung Captivate. Swype is something that is very important to me and I'd like to know if I can install it on the HTC One X using Google Play?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Slide it is a great alternative to Swype. I used it on my HTC desire before buying my Samsung galaxy s2. They both are great. But I also agree that swift key is excellent.

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Swype has bugs, on the One X. Somehow I'm unable to upload pics to show ya (Some problem with JPEGs uploading on the app), but sometimes the keyboard's really small. Becomes pretty useless after that. So then I have to switch to HTC Sense input and back to Swype to get it working. Other than that it's pretty awesome!

MrSherms

Great Googley Moogley!
May 4, 2012
Visit site
I believe this phone comes with the HTC trace keyboard -- their version of Swype, but you can also download it here.

Yeah, the built-in Trace keyboard is pretty good. Behaves like Swype, and no buggy/shrinking keyboard. Go to Settings > Keyboard > HTC Sense Input, then toggle on the Trace keyboard. It automatically senses if you are attempting to type using the Trace strokes, or if you want to type by punching the keys.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm very happy with the built-in Trace keyboard, it compares well with Swype (although it's been awhile since I last used Swype.)

I can also vouch for SwiftKey. It's especially good if you repeat lots of the same or similar phrases because it learns word sequences and can be very efficient in those situations.

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I dig the built-in keyboard except for the arrow keys down below - if we could only remove those, it would be great.

SwiftKey is buggy (try erasing stuff in the Notes app), but it predicts extremely well - I am using it even though it's buggy.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
wow, I kind of like those arrow keys. Currently with an iPhone 4 & one of the things I liked about the HOX keyboard was the directional arrows to move the curser. Considering the HOX or the S3.

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
The only problem is that those arrow keys take up a lot of valuable screen real estate (i.e. you can see less of what you're typing or responding to). I can see them being helpful too, but I use the screen to move the location of the cursor around (like on the iPhone), so don't need the arrows and would rather hide them.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I understand your point better. The larger screen of the HOX would probably allow for a more accurate placement of the curser by tapping compared to the iPhone 4. It would be a great option to enable/disable the arrow keys. Give users a choice.

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the stock HOX keyboard, so I downloaded the SwiftKey 3 beta which gives you the option of disabling the arrow keys. Imo way better than any other keyboard I've used previously including iPhones keyboard.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If you do get to know how to reproduce it, temme how so I can avoid that. =)

Sent from my International HTC One X.

I may just email Nuance and tell them to turn that bug into a feature. I THINK I've got it figured out: you have to go to landscape mode, then switch to the Swype keyboard, then flip around to portrait, and so far it's staying as that middle keyboard.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the stock HOX keyboard, so I downloaded the SwiftKey 3 beta which gives you the option of disabling the arrow keys. Imo way better than any other keyboard I've used previously including iPhones keyboard.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

This!.

I can't be bothered to slide my finger all over the place. The larger the screen, the less useful swype is. Its not faster than Swiftkey, where you often never even have to type any letters because the entire next word is pre-suggested.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
HOX comes with swipe option no need to download any other keyboard.:);):D:p:thumbup:

sent from my Evo4LTE

It's not a "swype" option, it's a "tracing keyboard" option. And the HTC keyboard is too big vertically, and even worse when the arrow keys appear, and there's no option to disable them.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463