HTC One X vs Samsung Galaxy S3

BodegaBay

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
From an aesthetics and design point of view: U.N.I.N.S.P.I.R.E.D

Same South Asian styling Samsung just can't kick. Didn't they hire Chris Bangle's design firm last year for their products? Doesn't look like it from this device.

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Had the One X been given an SD card slot it would have been a clear winner over the SGS3.

Disagree, SD-Cards slow the phone down - period.

Google have stated it countless times, what exactly would you store on the SD-slot?

Let's say SGS2 was enough . 16gb onboard + 16gb SD card ... why wouldn't a 32gb onboard storage plus 25-50gb on cloud storage be better? (Especially when you don't have the sdcard slowing down the phone....)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Had the One X been given an SD card slot it would have been a clear winner over the SGS3.

I think had the One X included 32GB it would have been a lot easier. SD cards really do slow phones down so I would have rather paid a little more for more flash storage. I think it's the combination of "only" 16GB and no expansion that has some people ticked off. But I don't carry movies around with me and I have a separate iPod for music, so I don't use much storage on my phone. I'm much more interested in the design.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Many facets of the S3 still remain to be seen...

1) What's the US model look like aesthetically and hardware-wise?
2) How does the new software + new Touchwiz compare? vs. Sense 4.0?
3) Real world testing of camera
4) Battery life
5) Benchmarks of USA version and overall review.

Assuming none of the above are big time issues...the HTC One X would be the CLEAR winner if it had a) more storage space - even if it meant a 2nd model for $100 more and/or b) a Micro SD slot to add storage to the paltry 16GB (10-12GB usable).

Unfortunately, I am left still undecided and will have to wait and see how the HTC One X experience is for me on AT&T while reading reviews/news/specs/info about the USA GS3 during my 30 day "trial".

P.S. I really am shocked AT&T wouldn't go with a 2nd version of the One X with 32GB for $100...that's gotta be what an extra $95 of profit (or reduced loss) and more sales to those not willing to buy the 16GB version?

Last edited:

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
The S3 is a big disappointment and looks like a flop. The design looks childish with the ridiculous rounded edges not to mention the sub par pentile display. :yack:

HTC One X owners who pre-ordered should be feeling pretty smart right about now.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Dude let it go. Micro SD cards are a thing of the past. Time to move on. Google themselves don't think that SD cards are the way to go for the future.

Dude read my whole post and don't respond to only one line?

I'd rather have a 32GB or 64GB version onboard with no Micro SD - though I know they will charge an arm and a leg compared to what it would cost to add a $22 32GB Micro SD.

However - and note here that I called this OPTION B - if 16GB onboard is all they will give me I'd like to have the option of upgrading it myself.

I don't care what Google [or you] thinks is the future - my present self wants more than 10-12GB of storage space - whether onboard or Micro SD.

BodegaBay

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
The Verge had this say between the two:

-------------------------
"Where Samsung falls behind its direct competitor is in the actual feel of the phone. Although the sides of the white Galaxy S III and the front of the dark blue version both sport a brushed metal look, they're made out of good old plastic. Alas, as much as we wished Samsung would move away from cheap-feeling (if sturdy) materials, the GS III is just keeping up with tradition. The glossy back is now more in keeping with the original Galaxy S than the textured finish on the Galaxy S II.

The main takeaway when you first pick up the Galaxy S III is that it's surprisingly light. It weighs over 130 grams, so it isn't that much of a featherweight, but the sensation of holding it is one of weightlessness. It almost feels hollow. We're not huge fans of this, we appreciate a bit more of a reassuring heft.

We had to look really closely to be certain, but sure enough, this is another Pentile AMOLED display from Samsung. The big rumor going into this event was that the Galaxy S III would be the first HD Super AMOLED display without Pentile spoiling things, but check out our macro shot below for some definitive confirmation (the signal strength indicator is supposed to be white)."

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The S3 is a big disappointment and looks like a flop. The design looks childish with the ridiculous rounded edges not to mention the sub par pentile display. :yack:

HTC One X owners who pre-ordered should be feeling pretty smart right about now.

Couldn't agree more with this statement

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The Verge had this say between the two:

"Where Samsung falls behind its direct competitor is in the actual feel of the phone. Although the sides of the white Galaxy S III and the front of the dark blue version both sport a brushed metal look, they're made out of good old plastic. Alas, as much as we wished Samsung would move away from cheap-feeling (if sturdy) materials, the GS III is just keeping up with tradition. The glossy back is now more in keeping with the original Galaxy S than the textured finish on the Galaxy S II.

The main takeaway when you first pick up the Galaxy S III is that it's surprisingly light. It weighs over 130 grams, so it isn't that much of a featherweight, but the sensation of holding it is one of weightlessness. It almost feels hollow. We're not huge fans of this, we appreciate a bit more of a reassuring heft.

We had to look really closely to be certain, but sure enough, this is another Pentile AMOLED display from Samsung. The big rumor going into this event was that the Galaxy S III would be the first HD Super AMOLED display without Pentile spoiling things, but check out our macro shot below for some definitive confirmation (the signal strength indicator is supposed to be white)."

I'm absolutely stunned they chose to stay with PenTile. Absolutely stunned!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Is this the "over-saturated" look that many people talk about with the Samsung phones???

Clearly we know who the winner is in this pic.

Hands down HOX screen is better. Really not even a comparison. I'm extremely disappointed with the PenTile choice. What were they thinking????

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
The GSIII looks great, but the number killer for me is that it won't launch here in the US until December. Well at least according to CNET.

I wish they would have stayed with the GSII's form factor though.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The GSIII looks great, but the number killer for me is that it won't launch here in the US until December. Well at least according to CNET.

I wish they would have stayed with the GSII's form factor though.

No chance it takes that long. June or July seems most likely. They're not taking it on tour in the US in June only to make us wait 6 months to have it...especially considering the Samsung exec's comments about not unveiling products then taking months to deliver.

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The one reason I didn't go for the S2 was Touchwiz. It's bad looking and didn't make me feel that I'd spent the money to buy a really great smartphone.... Sense 4.0 on the other hand makes the One x worth all the more.

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
The one reason I didn't go for the S2 was Touchwiz. It's bad looking and didn't make me feel that I'd spent the money to buy a really great smartphone.... Sense 4.0 on the other hand makes the One x worth all the more.

I loved TW on my SGS2 (with gingerbread), the problem came when ICS arrived - it no longer worked as smooth, & because the design wasn't really changed - it no longer matched the design of the OS, the whole ICS-feel was lost & it just was badly designed, it no longer felt like part of the phone.

But I agree, sense 4 offers a nice experience indeed, I do very much prefer it over TW, but would I use a Samsung galaxy phone in the future ... absolutely, I had both galaxy s phones & other than my SGS2 needing a repair due to the charging port not working (after just 6 months), I had no operating problems with them, they are good phones.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2