Beats Audio, what does it do?

JayMysteri0

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I did grab a pair of UR Beats. I couldn't find the headphones anywhere but AT&T, anywhere else they were iBeats. The UR Beats have a different controller that substitutes the volume control for forwards & back, and a working mic. The sound is good, but the actual headphone cord is like a throwback to those cheapo headphones of past with super thin cords, not their regular cables or flat ribbon type of cord. Bit of a shame.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
is there any other headphones with 3 buttons remote that actually works with Android? I have been searching for one for a long time and can't find any. the beats works, but I think they are over priced.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I think Klipsch makes some that do.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

i checked klipsch, looks like a one button control also and it's expensive. i really don't understand why companies only make 3 buttons control headphones for apple only. is it because of the technology limitation? you would think as popular as andoid phone is now, they will start making headphones w/ 3 buttons control for it. only one really for android are the urbeats and klipsch, both are over priced option in my opinion.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The Klipsch S4A are made for Android. $100 is considered the sweet spot for good, quality headphones by many people. I've heard the regular version of these, and they do sound really good. Better than some that cost more than these.

If you really enjoy listening to music a good set of headphones is a worthwhile investment IMO.

JayMysteri0

May 6, 2012
Visit site
The only drawback to the Klipsch ( whose image ONE headphones I love! ) is that it's basically one button as well. You need the app to add voice control to add other features, and even then it has it's own ( only works with one music player ) limitations. It also seems to share the same crappy build quality as the UR Beats that I didn't care for.

The tradeoff seems to be that you get the Beats enhancement with the URs, but you can get the Klipsch for $79 instead of $99 from Amazon. Otherwise the headphones are same price, just a consideration of whether you want Beats enhancement, or if you're one of the many with the hatred of all things Beats. Seems a shame that someone can't make a comparable android feature for button control. Couldn't a 2 button ( tap forward/back, hold volume control, tap both to pause, hold both to mute ) solution be a way around any infringement issues?

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
The only drawback to the Klipsch ( whose image ONE headphones I love! ) is that it's basically one button as well. You need the app to add voice control to add other features, and even then it has it's own ( only works with one music player ) limitations. It also seems to share the same crappy build quality as the UR Beats that I didn't care for.

The tradeoff seems to be that you get the Beats enhancement with the URs, but you can get the Klipsch for $79 instead of $99 from Amazon. Otherwise the headphones are same price, just a consideration of whether you want Beats enhancement, or if you're one of the many with the hatred of all things Beats. Seems a shame that someone can't make a comparable android feature for button control. Couldn't a 2 button ( tap forward/back, hold volume control, tap both to pause, hold both to mute ) solution be a way around any infringement issues?

this is what i am talking about. i just don't know why it's so hard for them to make one for android. i don't need some highend headphones since i use my phone mostly for podcast while walking my dog. don't need super good quality headphones to hear ppl talking. something like 30 - 50 skull candy type will be more than enough for me. i am just really surprise that our options are so few.

garrim85

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
(coming from an audio engineer's perspective)

It's just an EQ that makes music sound like crap. I had to finally see what the big deal was with Beats Audio. I toggled it on and off several times while listening to a bunch of different artists/albums. Tried multiple systems for reference, the line out running into my monitoring system in the studio, several different headphones and the stereo in my vehicle. There wasn't a single instance where it sounded better than the original. It destroys all those lovely mids that give music life and detail, boosts the bass by a ridiculous amount and boosts high end that isn't there for a reason on the originals.

Maybe I'm just biased because I listen to music most of the time on a flat near-field reference monitor system in an acoustically treated room, and actually engineer, produce, mix and master music for a living... or maybe it just does sound like crap. I'm going with the latter.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I agree, but I'm pretty sure that Android doesn't have a standard way of implementing this (just a guess). Probably has something to do with having multiple music players. Even if they function the same, IMO, the Klipsch sound miles better than the Beats. The only Beats that I personally think sound good are the Beats Pro's that are $400.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I listen mostly to electronica and I think the beats audio makes a nice difference. Having used an equalizer on my rezound (because on that beats audio did not work on streaming apps) it sounds to me like beats audio is essentially just doing what an equalizer does, but to my ear there's also an element of "spacializing" in terms of making the sound seem to be on a broader soundstage, so I think it goes a little beyond just acting like an equalizer.

How well headphones can control things also varies by app. For example I took the in-ear beats headphones I got with my rezound and tried them out on the HOX. The forward/back buttons worked in Rhapsody, but the Play/Pause button did not. However, in rdio all three buttons worked properly.

Also on the HOX the beats enhancements should work on all headphones, not just beats headphones. It also worked on my monster and klipsch in-ear headphones, for example.

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Monster didn't brand the phone or service....that was Beats the company, and HTC. They will play sound just fine, but the controls on the cable won't work the way you expect them to.

I'm using my Beats Solo HDs on my Tegra 3 One X right now, and they work perfectly fine. All of the available controls are working. On top of sounding fine, they work as advertised. What's up with your info?

lightyear420

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what all the complaining is about....I flashed the beats zip that's floating around to my nexus s and it sounds great. I use the headphones that came with it and the headset button controller app, and it has perfect button control!!

It's saying something that with a flashable zip and a 3rd party app, my phone that was never supposed to have beats works better than the ones that are lol....and that something is NOT good!!

CtKiDd

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the white ur beats headset and they sound great and the mic and the play/pause/fwd/bkwd buttons work great. I bought them at the att store. Beats audio is nothing but equalization but with the headset it sounds nice.

davep1982

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
For me the "sweetener" enhancement in the stock player provides a more robust sound in my car than the beats audio enhancement. Also, I prefer the layout of Google play over the stock player but it doesn't provide any sound enhancements which is sad.

Makai5

May 1, 2011
Visit site
so i come from iOS, how come iphone can figure it out but android phone makers can not, i men it's 2012 this type of thing should come standard in all phones. I hate beats headphones they are over hyped and they sound like crap.