Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'll start ;)

power.png

power2.png

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I was at 5% battery last night with the screen at 2 hr 55 mins (device was on for about 17 hrs total). The rest of the metrics are similar - about 9-10% cell standby, etc. Lasted about 16 hrs total.

I wonder what's different. Navi, are you using live wallpapers, and what's your screen brightness at?

Last edited:

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Slashgear has a review which claims that, with the screen on, the device lasted over 8 hrs, and there was still juice left:

"With the display set to be permanently on, along with GPS, and with mixed use of WiFi and cellular data, playing videos and browsing the internet, both versions of the One X managed to run for over eight hours with 26-percent power left. Bear in mind this is an extreme case: with more typical – though still heavy – use, we went for nearly a full day on a single charge."

HTC One X Review (AT&T) - SlashGear (2/3 of the way down)

I must be missing something. I used the screen for about 40 minutes today, with some web browsing and gaming on the morning train, and my battery is at 65%.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
...no live wallpapers, that is a battery hog, period.

Battery is set to at about 40% or so. I don't use the auto option...

Yeah, I was at 5% battery last night with the screen at 2 hr 55 mins. The rest of the metrics are similar - about 9-10% cell standby, etc. Lasted about 16 hrs total.

I wonder what's different. Navi, are you using live wallpapers, and what's your screen brightness at?

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't have live wallpaper today, and my device is losing battery just as quickly. I don't think the live wallpaper actually has a big impact. I am just still surprised how quickly it's draining. It feels like my phone will only last about 3 hrs if I keep the screen on and browse, write e-mails, etc. Feels inconsistent with what other people are reporting, and what online reviews say. Not sure if I got a bad battery or something (quality says "good" under battery monitor).

My screen brightness is at 35%, no auto adjustment.

neoenigma

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The screen is the big got here. If you can get away with lowering the brightness, I'd do it. That is, of course, if you won't have the opportunity to charge it. Live wallpapers are always a battery killer as well. I'm almost never without a way to charge it... but even so, I think the battery life is great.

2012-05-06_10-16-35.jpg

That was 2H and 52M of screen on time.

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
b0fda11e-6097-7bc9.jpg

b0fda11e-60a2-a887.jpg

LOL

.... I spent most of the day streaming audio over H/3G, so - a little misleading, and proof that 'screen on' time is not always a good judge of battery. :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Some of my metrics from today are attached. Not sure why my phone is being drained so quickly - maybe 4G talk and Web browsing is costly from the battery perspective. Thinking about swapping my unit.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Some of my metrics from today are attached. Not sure why my phone is being drained so quickly - maybe 4G talk and Web browsing is costly from the battery perspective. Thinking about swapping my unit.

Neo:

Go to Settings / Wireless and Networks / USEAGE
Tap Settings, st Show WIFI
Back arrow
Hit the tabs at the bottom to show different graphs. Drag any graphs up to see applications using data (cellular or Wifi tabs only).

Look for what is using your radios, both cell and wifi.

I played with that lame Locations app that HTC included, and it launched a download of biblical proportions. Didn't notice it at first, but it ran for an hour.

Killed my battery.

Also, have you ever run your phone down to automatic power off, then recharged fully before use? Makes a big difference to the charge controller when guessing percentages if it knows the absolute bottom.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Voice calls are also a big drain.

Anything taxing the radio at a steady and constant pace will kill the battery...downloads, videos, streaming music, etc.

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Neo:

Go to Settings / Wireless and Networks / USEAGE
Tap Settings, st Show WIFI
Back arrow
Hit the tabs at the bottom to show different graphs. Drag any graphs up to see applications using data (cellular or Wifi tabs only).

Look for what is using your radios, both cell and wifi.

I played with that lame Locations app that HTC included, and it launched a download of biblical proportions. Didn't notice it at first, but it ran for an hour.

Killed my battery.

Also, have you ever run your phone down to automatic power off, then recharged fully before use? Makes a big difference to the charge controller when guessing percentages if it knows the absolute bottom.

I am running AnTuTu Battery Tester right now, going to see how it does. I'll check the radio usage - thank you for the tip. I haven't tried turning the radios off, and all the stuff I've done was online (using LTE), so that could be it.

Locations app? I'll look at that. Google has Latitude, but that one is pretty battery-friendly.

Yup, I have done the automatic power off - the first day I got the phone.

Kevin - is it just voice over LTE/4G? I feel like for calls over 3G, my old iPhone 3GS would last forever...

jdt4

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
No real network usage. Only Microcell. I little disappointing but I did download a lot of apps and messed around more than I normally would. I got a little over 8 hours. Another noob question (iPhone convert) but if I buy an app from the amazon app store, will the amazon app always have to be running (using RAM) when a purchased app is running?

thanks

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Got a score of 432 on AnTuTu Battery Tester, which apparently is about the same as Galaxy S2. Anyone have other scores to compare to?

taft

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
On average, I think I am getting around 3 hours of on-screen time. If I am a little more conservative with the things I am doing, I will go over 4 hours. If I keep the brightness lower, I am sure I could go longer... but it has just been so damn sunny lately.

Up to this point, my average day consists of: web browsing, heavy messaging through free messaging apps like kakaotalk and weixin (using gps), flipping back and forth through translation/dictionary apps, a bit of music, and 20-30 minutes of tegra games.

I'm happy with it. It's funny because when the reviews first came out, commenters everywhere were bashing the battery. But here I am today, with 4 hours+ of screen-on time, normal usage, and it was 12 hours til my phone shutoff. Of course I would always appreciate more time if improvements can be made to the tegra 3 drivers, but hey so far so good.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am running AnTuTu Battery Tester right now, going to see how it does. I'll check the radio usage - thank you for the tip. I haven't tried turning the radios off, and all the stuff I've done was online (using LTE), so that could be it.

Locations app? I'll look at that. Google has Latitude, but that one is pretty battery-friendly.

Yup, I have done the automatic power off - the first day I got the phone.

Kevin - is it just voice over LTE/4G? I feel like for calls over 3G, my old iPhone 3GS would last forever...

Pretty sure voice isn't done over LTE, but when you're in a voice call it's constantly communicating with the network, which is why voice calls will usually show up as a top user, even if you only talked for an hour.

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Interesting.

I had my battery at around 20%, just watched about 1.5 hrs of video until it died - in Airplane Mode. From that perspective, seems great. I wonder if it's indeed the LTE that's draining the thing so fast when I use it for web/email.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1