Suspicious Pre-Installed Apps

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Here's a list of apps on the International HTC One X that I can find no information about, and which don't necessarily appear in the app drawer.

Some of these may be perfectly innocuous, others may be replacements for Carrier IQ.

HTC COTA CLIENT <----- You need this for checking for updates.
HTC REPORT AGENT
HTCMODECLIENT
FLEXNET

Flexnet is an amazing item. There is a product of that name, the web page for which is the most amazing collection of baffle-gab I've ever seen. At no point do they ever give a clear statement of what exactly the product does, or why I would want it on my phone. Its this one that I suspect is the Carrier IQ replacement, but its probably either for HTC, since my phone is unlocked, no carrier involved.
I'm going to disable this and see what happens.

The rest I've been able to deduce their function one way or another. My phone is a far-east model, and there is a boatload of Thai apps, and other regional apps that I can simply disable, and which I can actually run. With some of these I get deal on Coffee, as long as I pay the ticket to Thailand to collect. Such a deal!

Interesting sounding, but un-explained apps
Pen Settings

Anyone with any insights as to what these things are, please feel free to weigh in.

Last edited:

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
...what happened with your disable test?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Disabled Flexnet, and saw no ill effects yet.
Disabled COTA Client, and could no longer check for operating system updates.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz