Texting/emailing using Google Search Bar

mooechili

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I use Google Search Bar (Nexus S 4G) to send texts and emails, seldom use keyboard. But on my wife's HOX, I cannot get the recipient's name in the "To" box, it all goes into the message. What's up with that?

Last edited:

mooechili

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Texting using Google Search Bar

Tried it with emailing, same problem. "Send email (or text) to 'name' and speak the message. My phone works great, HOX will not get recipient in proper place.

mooechili

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I had installed Vlingo, just used it with voice commands to text/email, works fine. So why won't the Google Search Bar do that, any ideas?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Probably because it's an HTC phone and not a Google phone. No guarantee that anything will function exactly the way Google intended it to. HTC can change anything they want, including something as simple as this. It might just not work the same way.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Texting using Google Search Bar

Tried it with emailing, same problem. "Send email (or text) to 'name' and speak the message. My phone works great, HOX will not get recipient in proper place.

This works for me on my One X (quad core).
(Yeah, I know this doesn't help you, but its just to point out it works on this phone).

Have you allowed Google to store your voice samples for better voice to text? Its under Language and keyboard, Voice Search, and double check language selections
(Also accessible by tapping the microphone on the Google search widget, then press the wrench)

Tap the Google search icon, then hit settings at the top, select searchable items, and make sure your contacts are searchable.
Oh, and be sure you are using Google Contacts for your address book. No telling what might happen if you use some HTC only
address book.)

Edit: to Kevin, this works for me just fine. Almost all parts of this are pure Android features.

mooechili

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Icebike, yes I have all that on. I just went through her contacts and tried texting numerous contacts, seems the easier names are recognized and are inserted in the 'To' box. More difficult names are not picked up. My real name it will not recognize, I am also in contacts under "Pop" which it recognizes. My phone picks up names better, but then I've had it a year, maybe it knows me better. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC