Contact Photo Size?

sparkomatic

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm syncing my contacts through Gmail but the photos look pretty bad on my HOX. Admittedly, some of them aren't good photos to begin with but others are good resolution and look bad.

I saw the image size for a Gmail contact is 96x96 but wasn't sure what the contact photo size was on the HOX. I saw other phones are 210x210.

Anyone know if it's the same on the HOX?

And, that's kinda annoying, isn't it? It looks like this issue has been around for awhile. If you're using a Google Gmail account and syncing to a Google Android OS, why wouldn't your contact photos use the same resolution?

Not trying to start some flame war/rant either.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
That's a gmail problem. same thing happens when I sync my gmail contacts to my iPhone or windows phone, gmail will downscale the image to a lower resolution when it uploads the contact. then it gets blown back up when trying to show on your one x. google really needs to fix this.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
So if I take a pic with the camera it should look right?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

You could probably have tested this in as much time as it took you to post this question.

Just take a picture, and go to the gallery, and set the picture as a contact Icon. They aren't quite as pixilated as older pictures.

Then, if you are syncing contacts with your Google Account (why wouldn't you be?), just go to Contacts.Google.com and check. The picture should already be there.

Older camera models, and older versions of the contacts app used smaller pictures and they aren't as clear when blown up. Newer cameras on ICS use bigger pics.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine are still very pixelated when I use the phone's camera to set contact pictures.

Ridiculous.

Where are you seeing this pixulation? In the contact list itself? Or only when you call up a contact to edit it?

Mine are perfectly clear in the tiny image in the contact list itself. It isn't using the full resolution 1840x3264 picture in the contacts. It isn't even using the camera image. You could delete that camera image from your phone if you wanted to. Its using a tiny thumbnail that it created from a portion of the image that you selected when you set the contact image.

Just how slow do you want your contact list to be? The bigger the picture the longer it is going to take to load and scroll.

Its sized appropriately for the task at hand.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Mine are still very pixelated when I use the phone's camera to set contact pictures.

Ridiculous.

Do this. turn off sync then use the picture and it should be fine. what happens is that when it synce, gmail down samples it to a lower resolution, then it syncs that lower res picture with your phone.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Do this. turn off sync then use the picture and it should be fine. what happens is that when it synce, gmail down samples it to a lower resolution, then it syncs that lower res picture with your phone.

Kinda defeats the purpose of having an Android phone if you turn off all the sync, don't you think?

jmsewe0

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
You could probably have tested this in as much time as it took you to post this question.

I actually did but wanted to see if other people had the same issue. Thanks for the tip on time management though.

Check out the attachment. This is the pic of my wife. In the contact list, it looks great, but when you click on the contact itself, it gets zoomed in on. It looks horrible! I am not asking to have full resolution 4.5MB photos for all my contacts, just make sure it doesnt look like it was shot with a Polaroid and scanned in on a flatbed scanner. Smart phones have been able to do this for a while now...

I don't think they are "sized appropriately for the task at hand"

Reactions: ibleedbloo

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Where are you seeing this pixulation? In the contact list itself? Or only when you call up a contact to edit it?

Mine are perfectly clear in the tiny image in the contact list itself. It isn't using the full resolution 1840x3264 picture in the contacts. It isn't even using the camera image. You could delete that camera image from your phone if you wanted to. Its using a tiny thumbnail that it created from a portion of the image that you selected when you set the contact image.

Just how slow do you want your contact list to be? The bigger the picture the longer it is going to take to load and scroll.

Its sized appropriately for the task at hand.

No, no - the contact list looks great! It's when you blow up the picture of the person (i.e. click on the name in the contact list, or if that person calls/texts you), that the picture is very pixelized - because it's using the shrunken pictures and blowing it up. Seems ridiculous given the screen on this phone, etc.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I just want to say that I hate not having an image on ALL contacts.

I need to update my remaining 30 or so. Who wants to help me?

Sometimes they do look awful on a device...

Czar_of_Berry

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
This is one of my major annoyances with Android vs ios or blackberry. Seems ridiculous that I have to stare at a picture that looks like it was taken in 1970 when someone calls me. I don't understand why Google doesn't fix this relatively easily???? Also, is there a way to not have the little green man show up on my phone when I receive an incoming call from someone without a contact image?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
This is one of my major annoyances with Android vs ios or blackberry. Seems ridiculous that I have to stare at a picture that looks like it was taken in 1970 when someone calls me. I don't understand why Google doesn't fix this relatively easily???? Also, is there a way to not have the little green man show up on my phone when I receive an incoming call from someone without a contact image?

Why would you stare at it? You pick it up and answer the phone.

I don't want 286 high res photos clogging up my phone memory just so it can show me the warts of the face of the person calling. I can read.

The phone pictures are properly sized for the contact list.
If you don't want the android picture, take a picture of your teddy bear and attach it to each contact for which you don't have any photo.

If this is your MAJOR annoyance with android you must be a happy camper, because this is a tempest in a teapot if you ask me.

Czar_of_Berry

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
The point is that it sucks that you have to choose between a little green alien man or a grainy stretched picture when you get a call. I don't think appropriate resolution pics for contacts would slow down this powerful phone, if it does.... Then it's a software issue. All platforms have their strengths and weaknesses, and this is a weakness in my opinion. I'm willing to accept the good with the bad and have an open mind but this definitely goes into the "bad" pile

jmsewe0

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
iOS and webos do it fine without clogging up your phone. I think it's just such a simple thing and is frustrating that one of the top two OS's can't get it right. It's 2012 and we can't have sharp contact pictures? Icebike have you ever used iOS extensively?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR