AT&T HTC ONE X: Maps using high battery power?

oshogg

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

So, I have been noticing lately that Maps app has always been using round 12-15% of my battery use. For example, today, I see that Maps is using 12% since fully charged in the morning.

The funny thing is that I haven't opened Maps at all today and Maps also do not show in the list of open Apps (when I click on the App switcher button).

I have checked my Location settings and it is configured not to use GPS by default. Any ideas what may be happening?

Thanks,
Osho

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I have checked my Location settings and it is configured not to use GPS by default. Any ideas what may be happening?

Well there's your answer right there.

To avoid running a receiver intermittently, you've forced the phone to fire up its radio transmitters and talk to the towers and ask Google to figure out where it is by mapping WIFI routers it can hear, and towers it can see. Some of this uses portions of the maps app.

In settings / location: Check ALL options, and let the phone decide the best method.
Turn on GPS and leave it on.

oshogg

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
In settings / location: Check ALL options, and let the phone decide the best method.
Turn on GPS and leave it on.

I heard exactly the opposite thing previously - that is not to keep the GPS on by default!

Anyways, I have turned ON all the 4 options on Settings -> Location, will charge it fully and then go through a day's usage. Let's see how battery behaves now.

Osho

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I am noticing the same thing on my device.... No maps app opened and today currently it is a 23 percent usage of my battery. That said I have all 4 options checked in the location settings. Even with that drain I have 43 percent battery left after 9hrs43mins. So still getting killer battery life for myself.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I am noticing the same thing on my device.... No maps app opened and today currently it is a 23 percent usage of my battery. That said I have all 4 options checked in the location settings. Even with that drain I have 43 percent battery left after 9hrs43mins. So still getting killer battery life for myself.

You do know that while looking at things that are using the battery you can tap any one of them, and tap force close, right?

Chances are you maps is really trying to do something left over from when ever the last time you used it was.

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
@icebike I do know this and have done it multiple times. Always comes back.... The first device I had before my exchange did it as well... That one though also had a app opened up for maps which I never opened. That has not crept up again with my new one.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Mine has an instance of maps open most of the time too. I'm not worried about it. It's probably a location service that has to have it open to ping GPS or something.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
@icebike I do know this and have done it multiple times. Always comes back.... The first device I had before my exchange did it as well... That one though also had a app opened up for maps which I never opened. That has not crept up again with my new one.

Yes it will come back but it won't be sucking up battery when it does.

Just leave your gps on.

Typically maps uses 2% or less over the course of a day.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

shea-bird

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
just noticed maps on my phone eating up battery too! I have not opened the app once...hmm it was not showing up the first week of using the phone...

on a positive note I am averaging 15 hrs and 3 screen on time!

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
@icebike....It always uses somewhere between 17-25 percent.... No big deal to me either way really just found it odd as my gnex is around 2 percent

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
@icebike....It always uses somewhere between 17-25 percent.... No big deal to me either way really just found it odd as my gnex is around 2 percent

Your gnex is about right. My one x, and my Nexus One are both around 2%.

Is your HOX dual core or quad core?

Mine is quad.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

mooechili

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Dual core HOX, just looked at Maps and at 14% with wifi & GPS on. Checked my NX4G and Maps is at 2% also with wifi & GPS on. If you are new to the battery usage feature then you have to give it time, it changes all the time depending on how you use the device.

Last edited:

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Dual core HOX, just looked at Maps and at 14%. Checked my NX4G and Maps is at 2%. If you are new to the battery usage feature then you have to give it time, it changes all the time depending on how you use the device.

Giving it time is important.
Especially important to not check usage right after you take it off the charger.

Wait at least 5 hours.

But I find it interesting that no one exception AT& T phones. I'm on the same network, but with the hspa unlocked international version.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

macguy59

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Not sure. I use my One X exactly the same way I was using my 4S. I hit maps 2 or 3 times a day. Battery life actually seems better than my 4S. Now in all fairness I ran the 4S at max bright (like I do with every phone I use). The screen on the 4S is brighter than the One X so maybe that accounts for the diff.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
icebike, I didn't understand your last sentance..could you clarify? Thx

So far, everyone seeing the high battery usage from Maps is using the AT&T version of the ONE X, (the dual core LTE phone which is really an HTC ONE XL.)

I am not seeing High Maps battery usage.
My phone is the international version of the HTC ONE X, 3G+HSPA quad core. (Not purchased from AT&T). Yet I am an AT&T customer.

Just trying to nail down when and where this problem occurs.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance