05-26-2012 03:27 AM
39 12
tools
    Hi,

So, I have been noticing lately that Maps app has always been using round 12-15% of my battery use. For example, today, I see that Maps is using 12% since fully charged in the morning.

The funny thing is that I haven't opened Maps at all today and Maps also do not show in the list of open Apps (when I click on the App switcher button).

I have checked my Location settings and it is configured not to use GPS by default. Any ideas what may be happening?

Thanks,
    Osho
    05-14-2012 01:27 PM
    Hi,

I have checked my Location settings and it is configured not to use GPS by default. Any ideas what may be happening?
    Well there's your answer right there.

To avoid running a receiver intermittently, you've forced the phone to fire up its radio transmitters and talk to the towers and ask Google to figure out where it is by mapping WIFI routers it can hear, and towers it can see. Some of this uses portions of the maps app.

In settings / location: Check ALL options, and let the phone decide the best method.
    Turn on GPS and leave it on.
    05-14-2012 02:07 PM
    In settings / location: Check ALL options, and let the phone decide the best method.
    Turn on GPS and leave it on.
    I heard exactly the opposite thing previously - that is not to keep the GPS on by default!

Anyways, I have turned ON all the 4 options on Settings -> Location, will charge it fully and then go through a day's usage. Let's see how battery behaves now.

Osho
    05-14-2012 02:57 PM
    I heard exactly the opposite thing previously - that is not to keep the GPS on by default!

Lots of bogus info floating around.
    See this thread.

I've never noticed any measurable drain with WIFI on.
    Perhaps this is hold-over information form old iPhones.
    05-14-2012 03:25 PM
    I am noticing the same thing on my device.... No maps app opened and today currently it is a 23 percent usage of my battery. That said I have all 4 options checked in the location settings. Even with that drain I have 43 percent battery left after 9hrs43mins. So still getting killer battery life for myself.
    05-14-2012 04:42 PM
    I am noticing the same thing on my device.... No maps app opened and today currently it is a 23 percent usage of my battery. That said I have all 4 options checked in the location settings. Even with that drain I have 43 percent battery left after 9hrs43mins. So still getting killer battery life for myself.
    You do know that while looking at things that are using the battery you can tap any one of them, and tap force close, right?

Chances are you maps is really trying to do something left over from when ever the last time you used it was.
    05-14-2012 04:53 PM
    @icebike I do know this and have done it multiple times. Always comes back.... The first device I had before my exchange did it as well... That one though also had a app opened up for maps which I never opened. That has not crept up again with my new one.
    05-14-2012 04:56 PM
    Mine has an instance of maps open most of the time too. I'm not worried about it. It's probably a location service that has to have it open to ping GPS or something.
    05-14-2012 04:59 PM
    @icebike I do know this and have done it multiple times. Always comes back.... The first device I had before my exchange did it as well... That one though also had a app opened up for maps which I never opened. That has not crept up again with my new one.
    Yes it will come back but it won't be sucking up battery when it does.

Just leave your gps on.

Typically maps uses 2% or less over the course of a day.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    05-14-2012 05:51 PM
    just noticed maps on my phone eating up battery too! I have not opened the app once...hmm it was not showing up the first week of using the phone...

on a positive note I am averaging 15 hrs and 3 screen on time!
    05-14-2012 06:14 PM
    @icebike....It always uses somewhere between 17-25 percent.... No big deal to me either way really just found it odd as my gnex is around 2 percent
    05-14-2012 07:37 PM
    @icebike....It always uses somewhere between 17-25 percent.... No big deal to me either way really just found it odd as my gnex is around 2 percent
    Your gnex is about right. My one x, and my Nexus One are both around 2%.

Is your HOX dual core or quad core?

Mine is quad.

05-14-2012 07:53 PM
    Dual core it is the att version
    05-14-2012 11:09 PM
    Dual core it is the att version
    Very interesting.

How about the others who are experiencing this high map battery use? Which model of HOX are you using?

05-14-2012 11:40 PM
    Very interesting.

How about the others who are experiencing this high map battery use? Which model of HOX are you using?

AT&T HTC ONE X.

Osho
    05-15-2012 01:04 AM
    Dual core HOX, just looked at Maps and at 14% with wifi & GPS on. Checked my NX4G and Maps is at 2% also with wifi & GPS on. If you are new to the battery usage feature then you have to give it time, it changes all the time depending on how you use the device.
    05-15-2012 02:25 AM
    Dual core HOX, just looked at Maps and at 14%. Checked my NX4G and Maps is at 2%. If you are new to the battery usage feature then you have to give it time, it changes all the time depending on how you use the device.
    Giving it time is important.
    Especially important to not check usage right after you take it off the charger.

Wait at least 5 hours.

But I find it interesting that no one exception AT& T phones. I'm on the same network, but with the hspa unlocked international version.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2
    05-15-2012 02:36 AM
    icebike, I didn't understand your last sentance..could you clarify? Thx
    05-15-2012 02:39 AM
    Not sure. I use my One X exactly the same way I was using my 4S. I hit maps 2 or 3 times a day. Battery life actually seems better than my 4S. Now in all fairness I ran the 4S at max bright (like I do with every phone I use). The screen on the 4S is brighter than the One X so maybe that accounts for the diff.
    05-15-2012 03:44 PM
    icebike, I didn't understand your last sentance..could you clarify? Thx
    So far, everyone seeing the high battery usage from Maps is using the AT&T version of the ONE X, (the dual core LTE phone which is really an HTC ONE XL.)

I am not seeing High Maps battery usage.
    My phone is the international version of the HTC ONE X, 3G+HSPA quad core. (Not purchased from AT&T). Yet I am an AT&T customer.

Just trying to nail down when and where this problem occurs.
    05-15-2012 03:58 PM
    Thanks, that's what I thought you meant, just wanted to be sure. Just checked usage again, my 4G Maps is at 2%, her HOX is at 15%. Both running all but Bluetooth, neither one of us has opened Maps today, and neither has left the house.

Quick off topic question. What exactly is AT&T marks the spot? Just seems to be an app that enables you to report any problems with dropped calls, no data, etc. It appears in notifications at times and cannot swipe it out, so I force quit it. Wonder why it runs like that? My first AT&T phone so don't know much yet about their bloatware.
    05-15-2012 04:15 PM
    Not everyone. AT&T One X

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    05-15-2012 04:29 PM
    No screen shot, so I will list what I have on Maps use.
    Battery used by Maps 14%
    CPU Total 23s
    Keep Awake 3m 18s
    Data sent 18.04 KB
    Date received 24.26 KB
    05-15-2012 04:54 PM
    Quick off topic question. What exactly is AT&T marks the spot? Just seems to be an app that enables you to report any problems with dropped calls, no data, etc. It appears in notifications at times and cannot swipe it out, so I force quit it. Wonder why it runs like that? My first AT&T phone so don't know much yet about their bloatware.
    That is exactly what it does. It use to be something you could just launch when a call dropped, but later it started running all the time, and that's when I parted company with it.

If I get a few dropped calls, I will install it from market, report the dropped calls and then uninstall it again.
    05-15-2012 05:00 PM
    Not everyone. AT&T One X

Click to view quoted image

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    Kevin: Are you in a LTE area with your AT&T One X(L)?

See where I'm going with this?
    05-15-2012 05:01 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD