Why I am returning my HOX for GNEX GSM

dondabomb523

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I have had my HOX for approximately 2 weeks and was in love with it at first. When I started "playing" around with it and getting it set up to my taste I became a tad frustrated with it as certain things didn't work as they should. First things first.

Bluetooth - My Plantronics Voyager HD Bluetooth headset will not stay connected to this phone. In my line of work, I need to utilize my Bluetooth as often as possible. Also will not connect via Bluetooth to my aftermarket Alpine or my wife's Kenwood deck. These are newer high end models so this frustrates me. NO ETA on fix.... Maybe the end of the month.

WiFi, disconnects and lose data signal as a result until I turn off/restart mobile data. (I did install the manual software "fix' but had to set up my phone all over again - no big deal). This issue did seem to resolve the WiFi issue though so far.

Cannot use the phone as a music player in my vehicles using the USB connection. Tried various ways to make this happen and confirmed the proper settings in both the players and the phone to no avail. However it worked via USB in my friends vehicle which has a stock radio. Weird because my USB thumb drive works great in the same mentioned vehicles. Not that big of a deal as a result but this should work effortlessly nonetheless.

Multitasking - simply put is a joke especially when the iPhone 4s works as well as it does. Imagine that.

Battery life is pretty decent but should be better.

Notifications are slow.

Sense UI is better than previous versions and I am a big fan but I have noticed more than a few hiccups and slow downs when using certain apps and directly after screen shots. Phone freezes and I see a spinning circle for a little while before phone returns to normal.

I have to download apps to make my experience better just like iOS albeit I have more options. i.e. GoSMS just so I can have a distinctive text tone from a certain caller. This should come stock but maybe Sense UI set it up this way. I love options but some options such as this one should be default.

Ringtones and vibrate are low and barely noticeable while in your pocket.

Pictures of callers show up pixelated and grainy

No telling how long it will take to get the updates to the new software. GNEX sure to get it first.

I'm hoping these are not some of the same issues on the GNEX GSM version but I like ICS that much I am willing to give it a try once more before I go back to my boring iPhone 4s with sorry, can't understand simple English Siri. Please understand, I think some of these things are tedious but for a flagship phone these issues should not exist especially the Bluetooth issue. We pay good hard earned money for these gadgets and they should work out of the box and not force us paying customers to be beta testers for these products we get so excited about. It's just too bad because this durn phone feels so good in the hands. What is great hardware without great software?! What are your thoughts?!

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Sounds a lot like its all software related. Even the WiFi issues. You should understand that this is a brand new phone on the market. The Gnex has had its time to mature. I would have given HTC the same respect. Even the Gnex had major connection issues at first and some still report some. Go check out the Google Nexus forums. Not saying the Gnex is a bad phone because it's not. But like anything else....You gotta take the good with the bad or give them some time to push out some OTAs.

Good luck with whatever device makes you happy Don! First and for most the user should enjoy using their devices. Thats why I am glad that we all have choices! :)

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I have the Tegra 3 One X and a GSM Galaxy Nexus. I used my HOX for about 3 weeks, then switched back to my Nexus, and today I'm switching BACK to the One X. The battery life is the same on both devices - ~3 screen-on time. The One X has a much better camera, and a much better speaker. I love my Nexus, but now that apps are getting updated to remove the overlaid menu button, I really have no reason to not switch back to the One X.

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
My Battery is way better in my hox then what I was getting on My gnex. 18+ with 3 hours on screen time. Only got 14 with my gnex with less screen time.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Reactions: dondabomb523

dondabomb523

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Interesting anothernewphone, that you are switching back to the ONE X. I won't lie it's a very good device and I want to really like it. However, the issues such as WiFi and the Bluetooth issues are really aggravating to me. (the others I can deal with). Being a long time iPhone user is just taking some getting used to and patience usually prevails. Considering the GNEX is old by technology standards but still piqued my interest until today. I actually went into a Verizon store today and handled one.... Not overly impressed and makes my small hiccups on my HOX tolerable. I contacted HTC and they told me an update was in the works so I'll remain patient and hope it gets better. It's a very good phone and there is no way I can go back to that tiny iPhone 4s screen. Hello C. Gardner, I can appreciate your comments and I too agree all phones have problems at first especially when it gets into the hands of many people... Problems are bound to be found and fixed. You have to love choices don't ya! Appreciate the comments.

Called HTC about issues and they are aware of the Bluetooth, WiFi, and USB connectivity issues for car stereos. No ETA for fix sadly but they are aware of the issue.

Last edited:

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad that you are willing to wait for an update. Updates can never come soon enough. But I would rather wait for them to do it right then have them push it out just to make people happy and cause more issues. I'm sure it will all be fixed. But I can understand if you went to something else.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Call me crazy but as someone waiting to make the jump to Android, I would have thought that HTC would have done a better job testing the ATT version before releasing it. I notice that Amazon has dropped the price down to $119, which for a new phone, doesn't speak highly, though they generally offer better prices.

While I like the screen and camera, it appears the Sammy GS3 may be far advanced but we have to play wait and see once its released. I'm eager to see what Apple comes up with too, though the Apple motto of 'let's see how much money we can squeeze from the world' just doesn't work for me anymore..

In addition, it appears that the Lumia 900 is gaining traction and Amazon is offering it for TEN BUCKS in black for existing ATT customers.. Don't think I've ever seen a new phone offered so cheap before..

Anyway, my $.02 :cool:

juststart

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I read an article that mentions how the developers of RunKeeper are no longer supporting their app on WP7. I think they're just the first of many to go.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I read an article that mentions how the developers of RunKeeper are no longer supporting their app on WP7. I think they're just the first of many to go.

Its a shame but I think you are right. WP7 is a beautiful os with a lot of potential however it suffers from the same "walled garden" approach as Apple. I played with the Lumia in store and really enjoyed the ui and how everything was organized and streamlined however it has just as many limitations as ios without the developer support and hardware that the iPhone has. If I wanted to go back to an os lije that I'd definitely go for ios over WP7 even if I hate the boring icon grid os.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

WesHoye

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had some of the same issues with my HOX recently, but I still can't imagine being happier with another device. I've been selling phone for the last 6 years for all 4 major US carriers, so luckily for me I get to try out all the best phones from every carrier everytime I sell one. And the One X has me completely smitten.

It certainly is aggravating that us consumers have become the beta testers for these multi-billion dollar companies that we've made so rich. But you can't blame HTC as thats the way every smartphone manufacturer does their business nowadays.

-Wes

dondabomb523

May 13, 2012
Visit site
My Battery is way better in my hox then what I was getting on My gnex. 18+ with 3 hours on screen time. Only got 14 with my gnex with less screen time.

I'm currently using a GNEX GSM I purchased from The Google Play Store.... Needless to say I am impressed with the battery life and the phone. My battery is better than my ONE X and I haven't even conditioned the battery yet. I know this phone is old by technology standards but nonetheless I am very pleased. THE HOX is pack up ready to be returned.

dondabomb523

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had some of the same issues with my HOX recently, but I still can't imagine being happier with another device. I've been selling phone for the last 6 years for all 4 major US carriers, so luckily for me I get to try out all the best phones from every carrier everytime I sell one. And the One X has me completely smitten.

It certainly is aggravating that us consumers have become the beta testers for these multi-billion dollar companies that we've made so rich. But you can't blame HTC as thats the way every smartphone manufacturer does their business nowadays.

-Wes

Hello Wes, I must agree with you about all phones having some type of problem upon release and the company eventually figures the issues out. I think I was let down big time though by the HOX as I was stoked to have a phone that would make me forget my iPhone years (5 to be exact) and the GNEX is that device! The battery is good and the camera is mos def on point. Not sure if you had a chance to try the GNEX but man am I pleased. Thanks for your valuable input.

dondabomb523

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Call me crazy but as someone waiting to make the jump to Android, I would have thought that HTC would have done a better job testing the ATT version before releasing it. I notice that Amazon has dropped the price down to $119, which for a new phone, doesn't speak highly, though they generally offer better prices.

While I like the screen and camera, it appears the Sammy GS3 may be far advanced but we have to play wait and see once its released. I'm eager to see what Apple comes up with too, though the Apple motto of 'let's see how much money we can squeeze from the world' just doesn't work for me anymore..

In addition, it appears that the Lumia 900 is gaining traction and Amazon is offering it for TEN BUCKS in black for existing ATT customers.. Don't think I've ever seen a new phone offered so cheap before..

Anyway, my $.02 :cool:

What's up jontalk. Your posting was right on point and I agree with your $.02 LOL! I am tired of Apple pimping me along and having me holding my breath with it's incremental feature releases. I loved my iPhone but that screen is just too small and Siri is a joke! The Lumia 900 seems to be a good device but not enough apps behind it.... YET, I think it will be the phone to battle had they had a better app selection. The HOX is a real disappointment. I mean, I have wanted to leave Apple clutches for a min now and when I finally made the decision to leave I actually missed my iPhone for a few days. I decided to get the GNEX and I haven't touched my iPhone since. This is a beautiful device even if it's old by technology standards. The screen works for me, the camera is pretty good, and the battery is mos def meeting my needs.One things for sure... I will have Jellybean before many other Android owners... That is something to look forward to indeed. Pure ICS w/out Sense is simply dabomb

dondabomb523

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Guess what, my Bluetooth works great with my GNEX! Battery life is fantastic, screen is vibrant (not as good as the HOX but good nonetheless), phone is fast, fast, fast. Put the battery into the phone and received an update shortly thereafter. WiFi is fantastic, and Multitasking is all of that and a bag of chips. Did I forget to mention the keyboard on the HOX is horrible. Why should we have to download an app to make the "flagship" device work like it was supposed too?! I have found my iPhone killer and I'm a member of the dark side for quite some time now LOL! Thanks for listening/reading and allowing me to vent/exhale about my experience.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
No telling how long it will take to get the updates to the new software. GNEX sure to get it first.

The grainy pictures is an ICS thing, not a Sense thing unfortunately (which you probably found out by now). If you want to try a fix, I ran across this thread a while back.

I'm currently using a GNEX GSM I purchased from The Google Play Store.... Needless to say I am impressed with the battery life and the phone. My battery is better than my ONE X and I haven't even conditioned the battery yet. I know this phone is old by technology standards but nonetheless I am very pleased. THE HOX is pack up ready to be returned.

Keep in mind that the GSM Nexus gets better battery life than the CDMA version due to lack of LTE.

timberga

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Guess what, my Bluetooth works great with my GNEX! Battery life is fantastic, screen is vibrant (not as good as the HOX but good nonetheless), phone is fast, fast, fast. Put the battery into the phone and received an update shortly thereafter. WiFi is fantastic, and Multitasking is all of that and a bag of chips. Did I forget to mention the keyboard on the HOX is horrible. Why should we have to download an app to make the "flagship" device work like it was supposed too?! I have found my iPhone killer and I'm a member of the dark side for quite some time now LOL! Thanks for listening/reading and allowing me to vent/exhale about my experience.

Battery life is ok on the GNEX, not as good as expected. Plus its only HSPA+, doesn't even come close to touching LTE.

Wifi performance is not that great on the GNEX, range is somewhat weak compared to other phones.

ranblv

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the international version and the battery life sucks.
its the only reason I should have waited for the S3.
other than that its amazing. but I can't use it without juice.

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I have the international version and the battery life sucks.
its the only reason I should have waited for the S3.
other than that its amazing. but I can't use it without juice.

The battery life is way better than the Gnex, so it can't be that bad.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

vjr021

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Not getting a gnex, but still might return my X, just not flowing like my iPhone.

Still too many small issues. I really want to be an android guy, but I think I have been brainwashed by the evil fruit

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown