rooted one x vs galaxy nexus? (noob question)

manimtim

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok im planning on getting an android device and i wanted to clear some things up

1)So from my understand... rooting will allow me to remove sense if i wanted and add just the plain vanilla ICS 4.0?

2)If i had a rooted one x would i have the benefits of both the one x and the nexus?

3)what are the benefits of each device? i know one x has sense but what does that bring to the table?

4)also would rooting give me the openness of vanilla ICS? (probably the only thing i know about vanilla, which is still vague don't know the specifics of whats great about it besides quicker updates & less pre-installed apps)

I've been searching google and every where I have visited was very confusing and was looking for a semi-laymans terms response. :'(

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Ok im planning on getting an android device and i wanted to clear some things up

1)So from my understand... rooting will allow me to remove sense if i wanted and add just the plain vanilla ICS 4.0?

2)If i had a rooted one x would i have the benefits of both the one x and the nexus?

3)what are the benefits of each device? i know one x has sense but what does that bring to the table?

4)also would rooting give me the openness of vanilla ICS? (probably the only thing i know about vanilla, which is still vague don't know the specifics of whats great about it besides quicker updates & less pre-installed apps)

I've been searching google and every where I have visited was very confusing and was looking for a semi-laymans terms response. :'(

I went through the same thing and chose the One X. I had a Nexus One so I was going from "open" to "closed" if you will, knowing I'd lose out on some of the good stuff at first. I honestly went with the HOX banking on the devs opening it up. Thankfully they've been successful!

1) just rooting will give you more access to what the phone is running now but not remove Sense. You'll be able to remove AT&T cap, back up files, mess with system files and such. Not plain vanilla Android though.

2) no, see #1

3) Sense 4 is OK but I prefer good old ICS care of Google. I don't think there is much benefit to it in my opinion unless you like using all their widigts and stuff. The processor and camera in the HOX are better, but but the GNex has a replaceable battery. Edit - forgot to mention the screen. I prefer the HOX over the GNex by far.

4) Again, just rooting does not give you stock Android. Flashing the ROM is what you are looking for. There are a few steps to do that which can be found elsewhere (not sure if they are in the forums or not but xda-developers is where all the magic happens) . IIRC, you have to root the phone, flash a custom bootloader, then you can flash a custom ROM. It's not for the faint of heart but it can be done.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Reactions: manimtim

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I had a galaxy nexus on Verizon and switched to Att with the one x. The one x trumps the galaxy nexus on every single level imo accept for having a removable battery and massive dev support. The biggest flaws to me with the nexus were the very mediocre signal performance and camera. The one x has great signal (albeit with some first batch bugs )and the most impressive camera I've personally ever used on a phone.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

manimtim

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok I've take everything you all said into consideration but I just have a last few couple questions

1) Would flashing a custom rom based on the galaxy s 3 give the features on that device? (Like smartstay specifically, & auto call)

2) What is a launcher? Is it just an app that emulates the touchwiz or sense experience? (So use more resources playing ontop of the stock ui)

abhijit1289

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok I've take everything you all said into consideration but I just have a last few couple questions

1) Would flashing a custom rom based on the galaxy s 3 give the features on that device? (Like smartstay specifically, & auto call)

2) What is a launcher? Is it just an app that emulates the touchwiz or sense experience? (So use more resources playing ontop of the stock ui)

1) smart stay and auto call use specific hardware drivers so at the moment they can't be ported. I believe someone is working on it though. For now you can use s- voice, s memo, gs3 launcher and the video in a Window thing.
2) a launcher is a home screen like the sense or touch with home screen. It is like any other installable.apk file and will not consume much battery since it is running in the place of the stock launcher try nova, apex, and trebuchet for stock ICS experience. :)

Thank me if I helped.... You know I'll do it again :) Oh, and by the way, Sent from my HTC One X

manimtim

May 28, 2012
Visit site
1) smart stay and auto call use specific hardware drivers so at the moment they can't be ported. I believe someone is working on it though. For now you can use s- voice, s memo, gs3 launcher and the video in a Window thing.
2) a launcher is a home screen like the sense or touch with home screen. It is like any other installable.apk file and will not consume much battery since it is running in the place of the stock launcher try nova, apex, and trebuchet for stock ICS experience. :)

Thank me if I helped.... You know I'll do it again :) Oh, and by the way, Sent from my HTC One X

so a launcher is pretty much the equivalent of dreamboard on the iPhone? and not a replacement or anything? Cause I've had bad experiences with my ipod (crazy amount of lagg, felt even more restricted & smooth)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca