Converted from iOS, frustrated with email

mikeenu

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I've researched and looked at the get starting guide but for some reason I cannot get mail to display properly.

On the default client, html based emails don't even populate. I'm a graphic designer so html based emails are #1 on my needs. I didn't even think email would be a problem on a smart phone in 2012.

I downloaded K-9 mail and while html shows up, it doesn't resize to fit the screen and I have to scroll to the right to view the overall design of an email.

There's an option to view "single column" but it breaks up the design which in design means nothing to me.

Gmail also does not show the full html based emails on the screen.

Part of the reason for getting a larger screen was to view emails and deigns in a larger space.

Can anyone help please?! Greatly appreciated. Enjoying the phone but I'm trying to make it fit my work and home mac eco system (I'm talking, iPad, iMac, MBA, apply TV lol)

2012-06-07%2007.28.23.png

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I only use the Gmail app as my mail client - in fact I even disabled the default mail client. I remember reading somewhere you have to increase download "size" in the default mail client to get HTML emails. But since I only have a Gmail account, I just use the Gmail app. It is very good, very robust... and always shows full HTML e-mails. Give it a try - it comes preinstalled on the phone!

mikeenu

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I only use the Gmail app as my mail client - in fact I even disabled the default mail client. I remember reading somewhere you have to increase download "size" in the default mail client to get HTML emails. But since I only have a Gmail account, I just use the Gmail app. It is very good, very robust... and always shows full HTML e-mails. Give it a try - it comes preinstalled on the phone!

I did try in, in fact, the screen shot I attached is from the gmail app.

anon(4735768)

May 6, 2012
Visit site
He's saying that it should scale to fit the screen like it does on iOS. Having to pan around to see the full email is bad UX.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
He's saying that it should scale to fit the screen like it does on iOS. Having to pan around to see the full email is bad UX.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

This has always bugged me about the way the Gmail app works. Which there was an option to change it's behavior, but there isn't so I have leaned to deal with it.

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed with these Android email clients too when I picked up the EVO LTE was the crappy formatting. I noticed on some of the email apps like Hotmail and Touchdown (exchange based) that this issue was fixed in those clients. Haven't found a gmail based solution yet but theoretically you could set up a hotmail account and forward your gmail there without missing a beat.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
It takes a moment to get used to it, but once you do, you'll forget there was ever another way tto view emails ;)

I don't think I'll ever get used to having to scroll around my email to view it. Especially when you don't have to on any of the other platforms, heck even blackberry does it better. I hope this is something they will improve in jelly bean.

mikeenu

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I'll ever get used to having to scroll around my email to view it. Especially when you don't have to on any of the other platforms, heck even blackberry does it better. I hope this is something they will improve in jelly bean.

Seriously, you shouldn't have to scroll around anymore haha. Especially touting an amazing and large screen, it's kinda pointless no?

I can't find any help online and being a big email user in my design field, I can't use this phone. I'll do more digging but if I can't resolve, I'll have to go back to iOS for the moment.

Liane Carmi

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm not a designer, but I find having to scroll left and right all the time to read my email quite frustrating.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
The HTC email app is nothing special. Try k9 or one of the many other clients to find one that behaves as you like.

Old thread, but you also do not have to use the Gmail app for Gmail.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Android Central Forums

Liane Carmi

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
This may sound kinda silly, turn your phone from portrait to landscape.

Now Faster & Smoother!
Yeah...it looks better left to right with landscape mode...but I still would prefer to read in portrait mode. I guess it just doesn't make sense to me that the phone / application can't figure out how to just fit stuff properly. If Apple can do it, anyone can do it.

pkwiat

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah...it looks better left to right with landscape mode...but I still would prefer to read in portrait mode. I guess it just doesn't make sense to me that the phone / application can't figure out how to just fit stuff properly. If Apple can do it, anyone can do it.

Doesn't JB 4.2 fix that, in that version you can zoom in and out so I would think when you open the email it does the full screen without needing to scroll right and left... yea was a little frustrating for me too.

LesMiserables

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

You've a point for sure. And I kind of understand your frustration
But hey, maybe at least for a little while viewing emails in landscape will ease some frustration.

Now Faster & Smoother!

wurz72

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
You're correct, at last this is fixed in 4.2! There is now an option in the gmail client settings to auto-fit messages to the screen. I have a Galaxy Nexus and now HTML email does not require scrolling around in portrait mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad