Pros and Cons of rooting HTC One X

Robmonster

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm not sure if talking about rooting is allowed here. If not, then please do not post any links on /how/ to root but I would still appreciate some discussion on the topic.

All i want to be able to do on my device is to be able to use Titanium Backup.

I dont want to install custom roms, I want to keep everything as-is but be able to run apps that need root ike the above.

If I do root my device, will that stop OTA updates from installing? If they do install, will it need re-rooting again?

If this isn't the best place to ask such questions then can someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Rob

abhijit1289

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Currently you can root onlu after unlocking the bootloader via htcdev. So, if you want to get an ota then you will have to re lock the bootloader and then flash the ota, re unlock the bootloader, root again and go on with your life. A fairly simple but lengthy process. Simpler yet would be to flash a custom rom like pkmn rom on xda which has some really useful tweaks and is 99.99% bug-free. Just my two cents

Oh and by the way..... Awesome username ;)

Thank me if I helped.... You know I'll do it again :) Oh, and by the way, Sent from my HTC One X

Last edited:
Reactions: Robmonster

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Talking about root is perfectly fine here. :)

You don't have to unlock the bootloader to have root. But if you took the OTA to 1.85 then you might be out of luck, because currently that firmware isn't rootable.

If you haven't taken the OTA then by all means root and enjoy titanium backup.

There aren't really any downsides to rooting other than not being able to take OTA's, which is where the bootloader comes in. In order to flash rom's you have to have an unlocked bootloader. And if you're rooted, and want to stay rooted, then flashing roms based on the new updates is the only way to go.

There are benefits to flashing roms, too, like having the AT&T bloat apps removed, better performance and battery life (in some cases) and faster updates to the roms.

abhijit1289

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Talking about root is perfectly fine here. :)

You don't have to unlock the bootloader to have root. But if you took the OTA to 1.85 then you might be out of luck, because currently that firmware isn't rootable.

If you haven't taken the OTA then by all means root and enjoy titanium backup.

There aren't really any downsides to rooting other than not being able to take OTA's, which is where the bootloader comes in. In order to flash rom's you have to have an unlocked bootloader. And if you're rooted, and want to stay rooted, then flashing roms based on the new updates is the only way to go.

There are benefits to flashing roms, too, like having the AT&T bloat apps removed, better performance and battery life (in some cases) and faster updates to the roms.

The method to root without unlocking the bootloader is a highly complicated procedure and is reported to fail lot of times. Given that OP seems to be new to this stufd, I'd suggest not to get into it. As for removal of bloat, OP wants to use TB which can do the same.

Thank me if I helped.... You know I'll do it again :) Oh, and by the way, Sent from my HTC One X

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
The method to root without unlocking the bootloader is a highly complicated procedure and is reported to fail lot of times. Given that OP seems to be new to this stufd, I'd suggest not to get into it. As for removal of bloat, OP wants to use TB which can do the same.

Unless it's radically different on the International version, this is incorrect. Root comes first. The proper method to fully play with the phone is:

- Root
- Modify CID
- Unlock bootloader
- Profit!

There is a simple one-click method in the xda-developers forum (be sure you are looking at the right forum - AT&T/Rogers version vs. The international version) that worked for me (AT&T).

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Unless it's radically different on the International version, this is incorrect. Root comes first. The proper method to fully play with the phone is:

- Root
- Modify CID
- Unlock bootloader
- Profit!

There is a simple one-click method in the xda-developers forum (be sure you are looking at the right forum - AT&T/Rogers version vs. The international version) that worked for me (AT&T).

Is that for 1.85? I was browsing that forum yesterday and I thought it was for an earlier build. Will it work with the latest update?

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Is that for 1.85? I was browsing that forum yesterday and I thought it was for an earlier build. Will it work with the latest update?

Those steps exactly, no. You have to downgrade the firmware first (which is tricky at this point but has nothing to do with the bootloader) to and earlier build first then those steps can be followed. Things might have change as I've not followed the thread in a day or so.

lilzone

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
There is root available for the 1.85 version. Even a one click method. Worked the second time around, from what I see that is normal.

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
There is root available for the 1.85 version. Even a one click method. Worked the second time around, from what I see that is normal.

Yes, there is a working root method for 1.85 that just came out with no need to downgrade. I actually just OTA upgraded from 1.73 today after using Voodoo OTA Root locker to keep root. I'm not sure how it works, but it did the trick.

fadetoblack2104

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, there is a working root method for 1.85 that just came out with no need to downgrade. I actually just OTA upgraded from 1.73 today after using Voodoo OTA Root locker to keep root. I'm not sure how it works, but it did the trick.

Yep. A root method is available to root 1.85 and there is a one click method as well now.

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm a beginner to all this rooting and flashing business so I really don't know much, can anyone tell me what happens to Sense ROM? I'm imagining I'll have the option to switch between the Custom ROM and Sense when the phone starts up? Or will Sense be completely wiped out?

wasatchRider

May 22, 2012
Visit site

Would you mind elaborating or at least providing links for the Voodoo OTA Root locker (I've already read some of the 1.85 root stuff)? I ask because I rooted 1.73 stock using one-click which set the TAMPERED flag and now OTA is unavailable to me. I'm trying to decide whether to go further and try a custom ROM or remove root so I can OTA and then re-root.

Keeping root AND being able to OTA to 1.85 sounds more appealing.

For the OP, I'd suggest visiting the XDA forum for the AT&T One X as there are some stickies that roll-up many useful links. This thread in particular is quite comprehensive.

Last edited:

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm a beginner to all this rooting and flashing business so I really don't know much, can anyone tell me what happens to Sense ROM? I'm imagining I'll have the option to switch between the Custom ROM and Sense when the phone starts up? Or will Sense be completely wiped out?

Rooting has noting to do with modifying the ROM itself. It just allows you access to the files. With it, you can make modifications but you are still running the same ROM. Sense is still your main home screen launcher but you are free to use others, even without rooting. Personally, I use Nova.

With that said, with this phone you do have to root to modify files to unlock the boot loader so you can flash ROMs.

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Would you mind elaborating or at least providing links for the Voodoo OTA Root locker (I've already read some of the 1.85 root stuff)? I ask because I rooted 1.73 stock using one-click which set the TAMPERED flag and now OTA is unavailable to me. I'm trying to decide whether to go further and try a custom ROM or remove root so I can OTA and then re-root.

Keeping root AND being able to OTA to 1.85 sounds more appealing.

For the OP, I'd suggest visiting the XDA forum for the AT&T One X as there are some stickies that roll-up many useful links. This thread in particular is quite comprehensive.

This is what I used. I'm not sure why OTA wouldn't work for you. I was rooted on 1.73 and I got the OTA update. If you've already unlocked the bootloader too (you didn't state that you had) you might as well start flashing other ROMs (ymmv, I'm not responsible...yada yada yada). As for me, I just re-rooted for now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz